Royal Mail ,Baginton

Hi all
Ive been out of the driving game for a few years( office waller lol ) but am trying to ease myself back into it. Had a couple of hours refresher last week ( class 1 ) and was told "no problems" Ive picked up a few 1500-2300 duties at Royal Mail , Baginton next week. A little apprehensive.
Never been there before. Does anyone know if it is just inter depot work and what units do they tend to use.
I have only really used manual gearboxes so am expecting an auto. Are they straight forward enough ?

Thanks in anticipation

Firstly welcome to TNUK, Driving a truck is like riding a bike, you never forget not after a couple of years anyway.

The Mail mostly run DAF’s, auto is just a switch select drive and off you go easy most drivers now prefer the auto to the manual transmission I know I do.

I would imagine the work is depot to depot, easy enough somebody will be along shortly who knows more than me.

The only pre requisite is you must drive like a knob everywhere.

Click this link to view the driving assessment youtu.be/9_axIytjoJU

and to add to that, you must only drive with four tiny side lights on in the dark, as the one I saw yesterday did :unamused:

Oh and welcome

Fantastic monet up untill xmas then goes back down again, trailer swaps 8-10 hour days i think

adam1987:
Fantastic monet up untill xmas then goes back down again, trailer swaps 8-10 hour days i think

Are you sure it’s a Monet and not a Degas?

Thanks for the replies guys. It is true, even after a few hours in the saddle its like you have never been away.
I have just passed a few RM trailers being pulled by old DAFs, 52 and 53 platers. These are likely to be manuals are they? Dont know why i am stressing about it…perhaps its flashbacks to the old Merc EPS rubbish from the 90s…

ps…love the driving assessment Mike, hope i get the blue one lol!

Goldilox:

adam1987:

Are you sure it’s a Monet and not a Degas?

Mite ov been van gogh ill take another look :slight_smile:

I work at Royal Mail baginton , if your starting at 3 it’s likely to be collections and back to cov drop trailer and maybe another collection or local depot drop and swop. All easy work oldest cf is 05 all autos but lots of hire vehicles at moment. Do u know your duty number

drive carefully coming out of the estate along Siskin Drive, have seen many RM motors having a lay down on that road, just remember, the bend is sharper than you think, and with the adverse camber :wink:

Yes Rob, the duty is AP36 if that helps

Oh the Ap duties are Christmas extras so not sure what that one contains, it’s all easy work and usually lots of sitting around

When I was on with R.M. you didnt just sit you had a good few hours sleep ,then you had to drive like a knob. :smiley:

alamcculloch:
When I was on with R.M. you didnt just sit you had a good few hours sleep ,then you had to drive like a knob. :smiley:

which would explain my earlier post :wink:

shuttlespanker:

alamcculloch:

which would explain my earlier post :wink:

Yes one was on Frankley services yesterday having a kip, parked across the entry to all 3 lanes on the diesel pumps :unamused: