Routes to Italy

Please can anyone tell me if there is anyother cost effective route into Italy without iccouring tunnel tolls?

Via Switzerland, Basel - Chiasso, but you will have Swiss Tax to pay which isn’t cheap. The price varies depending on plated weight, and Euro classification.

Depending where you are going in Italy, you could also go via Germany and Austria, paying both the German and Austrian Maut in the process.

The final option would be to go down to the South of France and go past Nice and Mont Carlo and cross into Italy via Ventimiglia. More kilometres and more French Mortorway tolls this way though.

Coffeeholic:
…The final option would be to go down to the South of France and go past Nice and Mont Carlo and cross into Italy via Ventimiglia. More kilometres and more French Mortorway tolls this way though.

And its a scenic drive…if you have the time :smiley:

Or you could take the train :stuck_out_tongue: Brit Pete will be along shortly with the timetable

having not driven to Italy before my hols i found the many tunnels in Swiss quite difficult to cope with…i would say when transitting Swiss allow driving time + clearance time + Gotthard waiting time + extra breaks cos it will be knackering

What documentation do you need / whats the procedure at the Swiss borders, if you are passing through?

I’ve been into Switzerland six times, and had paperwork issues three times, so I’ve never planned a “transit” through job!

From memory, there are also nightime bans?

If you take the train from Germany , there are no paperwork problems, plus you get at least a minimum rest and wake up in Milan :stuck_out_tongue: There is a height restriction on this route though. I think it is 3.8 at the corners.

Wheel Nut:
If you take the train from Germany , there are no paperwork problems, plus you get at least a minimum rest and wake up in Milan :stuck_out_tongue: There is a height restriction on this route though. I think it is 3.8 at the corners.

The height limit must be 4.0 metres mate, and you need to remove any aerials. One train goes from Frieburg and drops you off at Novara. Its not a particularly comfortable trip. If you’ve got a long drive after the run through Swiss, allow a couple of hours extra, for a kip on route, you’ll need it.

The Simplon is good if your not too heavy.
€140 for a Euro3 motor one way.

If you are under 19 tonne loaded, you can use Mont cenis which is free, (near Frejus) takes a bit longer but the views are jaw droppingly good, I’ve done it a few times, but it does close through bad weather in the winter

Simon, you are correct about the Novara route.

The route I used to use regularly was Freiburg to Milan (Pirelli Greco) which had a height limit. It was mostly tank trucks on that route, hence the remark about 3.8m on the corners.

One point about letting the train take the strain, is that you are allowed to drive in Germany during a truck driving ban or on a Sunday if you have a confirmed booking

The simplon or sempione isnt a tunnel its a pass and it isnt a toll road either unless things have changed, are you thinking of the bernardo?

If you dont like tunnels you can drive over the top of frejus just bear right where the tunnel starts.

Probably easier to pay the toll. Especially this time of year.
[/quote]