Route to Munich

Looking for advice on the best route to get to Munich from Calais guys please.

I was thinking of going across France via Metz onto Stuttgart then Munich but the office want me to go through Belgium and down through Germany via Frankfurt and Nuremberg.( No specific reason :confused: )

Any advice greatly appreciated and possible places to stop/eat on route as well. :wink:

Any service station on the toll motorway caters very well for trucks, they are made welcome, some you have to pay to park, then get money off the meal, some are just pay to park only.
Do not be afraid to come off the toll road to find alternative overnight parking, the scenery can be pleasant with medieval buildings, some decent tavernas with home made cooking, they will treat you like a long lost relative.
The beer is in huge glasses of about three liters.
For using the toilets on all roads, you pay a small fee, then given a voucher to spend in the cafe.
Watch out on the toll road to how fast the traffic conditions change, one minute cruising along steady, the next minute all the traffic in front of you grounds to halt very quickly.
I had a breakfast at a motorway service station, the quality and choice of food was amazing, more like a luxury cruise ship meal than a road stop.
Yogurts, cheese, meats, museli,cereals, bread and pastries.
Try the pork or veal schitzel, a large breadrcumbed covered dish.
Sorry i cant help on the best route, do not want to send you the wrong way.

Depends on who is paying. France via Metz is a bit quicker but more expensive whereas BE, DE is slower but less expensive. Plenty of places to stop and eat well on route in Germany.

Lille,Namur,Luxembourg,Saarlouis,Pirmasens,Landau,Kalsruhe,Stuutgart enjoy.

mb14:

Is the correct answer. google.de/maps/dir/Calais,+ ā€¦ 351253!3e0

Anything signed off the the Autobahn with ā€œAutohofā€ will get you a good feed.

Thanks for the replies guysā€¦ looking good. My company will be covering all costs etcā€¦ I just want a straight forward run with some descent stops. :wink:

Also forgot to mention it will be a weekend run to an exhibition at the airportā€¦ :unamused:

Oktoberfest kicks off next weekend (Sept 19th).

Worth a wander into town if buxom women and beer floats your boatā€¦

Inselaffe:
Oktoberfest kicks off next weekend (Sept 19th).

Worth a wander into town if buxom women and beer floats your boatā€¦

Not happyā€¦ I am going the week after it has finished :cry: Typicalā€¦

Inselaffe:

mb14:

Is the correct answer. google.de/maps/dir/Calais,+ ā€¦ 351253!3e0

Anything signed off the the Autobahn with ā€œAutohofā€ will get you a good feed.

Thats the way i go great run with plenty of food stops but will mention in a van i would say its your best non toll route plus cheap fuel in lux.

Heading to Munich airport from the Lux border, the Maut machine will probably want to send you the northern route: google.de/maps/dir/49.47933 ā€¦ 536621!5i1

Longer route, keeps the Big Nasty Lorry on the Autobahn, more cash for Toll Collect.

To go via the southern route, add a couple of way points (Pirmasens, Landau) onto your route on the machine.

Whilst the northen route is longer, there are fewer hills and the A6 has loads of truckstops.

At a rough guess the southern route has approx. 130km less Maut (the B10 twixt Pirmasens and Landau is Maut free) and the scenery is better.

So the choice is yoursā€¦

The motorway service stations in Lux have Maut machines.

Avoid heading out of Lux to the German border in the afternoon rush or the morning rush in the other direction on your return (carriageway reduces from 2 to 1 lane in both directions with a pesky roundabout to ensure maximum traffic congestion)

You mentioned that it will be a weekend run. Donā€™t forget about the Sunday truck ban in Germany :wink:

Inselaffe:
Heading to Munich airport from the Lux border, the Maut machine will probably want to send you the northern route: google.de/maps/dir/49.47933 ā€¦ 536621!5i1

Longer route, keeps the Big Nasty Lorry on the Autobahn, more cash for Toll Collect.

To go via the southern route, add a couple of way points (Pirmasens, Landau) onto your route on the machine.

Whilst the northen route is longer, there are fewer hills and the A6 has loads of truckstops.

At a rough guess the southern route has approx. 130km less Maut (the B10 twixt Pirmasens and Landau is Maut free) and the scenery is better.

So the choice is yoursā€¦

The motorway service stations in Lux have Maut machines.

Avoid heading out of Lux to the German border in the afternoon rush or the morning rush in the other direction on your return (carriageway reduces from 2 to 1 lane in both directions with a pesky roundabout to ensure maximum traffic congestion)

You mentioned that it will be a weekend run. Donā€™t forget about the Sunday truck ban in Germany :wink:

Using this route when you enter Germany the first layby after the border has a Maut machine in it not quite so busy as the ones in the services

Inselaffe:

I thought you could run on Sundays if you were carrying exhibition/show equipment ā– ā–  :confused:

widget:
I thought you could run on Sundays if you were carrying exhibition/show equipment ā– ā–  :confused:

Definitely NOT.

I point you in the direction of THIS POST from dieseldave of many moons ago which is still relevant to this day.

Inselaffe:

widget:

Definitely NOT.

I point you in the direction of THIS POST from dieseldave of many moons ago which is still relevant to this day.

I knew about the ban and questioned it at the planners officeā€¦ thats where I got the idea of the exemption. :blush:

Thanks for the heads up , great bit of info on dieseldaves post ā€¦ ( I should know better than to trust the office!! ) This is going to put a big spanner in the works for themā€¦ oh well :unamused:

plan B required

Thanks for your help Inselaffe

Just read a little more, I think the office has assumed that the exemption in France on Sunday driving also applies in Germany.
Reading a quote as followsā€¦ ā€œMost HGVā€™s over 7.5 tonnes are banned from the French road and motorway network every weekend between the hours of 10 p.m Saturday and 10 p.m Sunday. There are exceptions for trucks carrying perishable produce or refrigerated produce, trucks servicing sporting events or trade fairs, and a few other cases.ā€

Welcome to Europe where every country has its own quirky regulations and an army of officials ready to relieve you of vast amounts of folding beer tokens for contravention of same.

The golden rule is ā€œignorance is no defenceā€, so always do your homework before heading past the White Cliffs :wink:

If you need any more help with this trip, just give me a yell :slight_smile:

You can apply for a Sunday permit for Germany but it will need to be done in advance. Suggest if your just running to the Messe, leave a day early and sit there. You may also need some cash as a deposit to get in to the messe which ensures you leave in an allotted time frame. Last week it was ā‚¬200 in Berlin!

Plambert:
You can apply for a Sunday permit for Germany but it will need to be done in advance. Suggest if your just running to the Messe, leave a day early and sit there. You may also need some cash as a deposit to get in to the messe which ensures you leave in an allotted time frame. Last week it was ā‚¬200 in Berlin!

Leaving a day earlier is now plan B :wink: and was hoping to get into the Messe Munichā€¦200!! that makes the NECā€™s Ā£50 seem very reasonableā€¦ oh well more expense for the boss, heā€™s not going to be a happy bunny :unamused:

Do you know if you can park up at the Messe for the duration of the show?

widget:

Plambert:

Leaving a day earlier is now plan B :wink: and was hoping to get into the Messe Munichā€¦200!! that makes the NECā€™s Ā£50 seem very reasonableā€¦ oh well more expense for the boss, heā€™s not going to be a happy bunny :unamused:

Do you know if you can park up at the Messe for the duration of the show?

Donā€™t take my word about the deposit as it seems arbitrary. Nothing in Frankfurt but ā‚¬200 in Berlin and ā‚¬100 in Stuttgart! Havenā€™t been to Munich for 12 months or so. Just something youā€™ll have to be prepared for. If there is a deposit system Just make sure they stamp your ticket on the way in with the correct time !

Not sure about parking. Have a good trip.

Looks like I will need to get there for the 2nd of October for the tip on the 4thā€¦ Saturday is a public holiday and of course Sunday then follows. Two days parked up ā€¦ May get to Oktoberfest yet[FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]

widget:
May get to Oktoberfest yet[FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]

Delicious Food is NOT what Oktoberfest is all about you know