Route to Mitcham from the North?

A mate has got a timed delivery to Mitcham, London on monday in his transit van.His delivery time is 7:30 pm.

The route planner takes you to the end of the M1 and straight down through edgeware, mill hill, shepherds bush etc…

Would it be better to go round the M25 and come in on the M4, or even come off at Leatherhead and go up through Epsom.

I know it is stop start through North London, but don’t know what traffic is like if you went the M25 route.

It’s almost impossible to predict what the traffic is going to be like. You can normally put money on the M25 being clogged up on the approach to the M4 though and that tends to last up to the A317/A320 junction. The A406 can also be hit or miss, I’ve been around it a few times at the sort of time you’re talking about and sometimes it’s reasonably free flowing, others if there has been an accident you can lose an hour.

Being in a transit he has plenty of options though. If I were him I would make note of 2 or 3 different routes and listen out to the traffic reports, changing up as need be. 97.3 FM in the London area tends to be a good one for London specific traffic.

I’d be inclined to do M1, A406, A205 to A3 Armoury Way then the A217 into Mitcham. I’ve recently started a job that involves a fair bit of transit driving and apparently I’m still very much in “lorry driver mode” when it comes to my planning of routes so I could be entirely wrong. It’s a mile longer than the suggested route but I’ve never known it to be overly clogged up if the 406 is clear. When we used to go to New Malden our reccomended route was M25, A3, but we were in 16’ Artics and it was normally after llc curfew time which restricted us somewhat. From there to Mitcham you’d take the A298 off the A3 then the B286 through Morden. Ultimately if he gives himself a bit of leeway in time it’s better to get somewhere half hour early and either have a snooze or something than start panicking when it’s 19.25 and you’re still the wrong side of the river.

I’d plan for M25 A3, past Kingston, take A298 via Raynes Park, then fork right down through Morden and round the dog leg into Mitcham.

Presumably he’s coming straight down M1, depending on how things pan out it might be worth nipping down the A43 to Cherwell Valley and then down the M40.

Obviously as said, keep an ear out for any traffic reports and adjust route accordingly.

Juddian:
I’d plan for M25 A3, past Kingston, take A298 via Raynes Park, then fork right down through Morden and round the dog leg into Mitcham.

Presumably he’s coming straight down M1, depending on how things pan out it might be worth nipping down the A43 to Cherwell Valley and then down the M40.

Obviously as said, keep an ear out for any traffic reports and adjust route accordingly.

This is my way as well.

cheers everyone, i’ll pass this info on.

M1 A406 Brentfield Rd into Harlesden then pick up the A219 Scrubs Lane to Shepherds Bush then keeping on 219 Hammersmith then Putney Bridge and follow 219 right through to Mitcham. Do it regularily except at 44 tonnes we can’t go Scrubs Lane anymore so go via Pk Royal onto A40 then Shepherds Bush. Much easier and quicker than M25 mate

FLIP:
M1 A406 Brentfield Rd into Harlesden then pick up the A219 Scrubs Lane to Shepherds Bush then keeping on 219 Hammersmith then Putney Bridge and follow 219 right through to Mitcham. Do it regularily except at 44 tonnes we can’t go Scrubs Lane anymore so go via Pk Royal onto A40 then Shepherds Bush. Much easier and quicker than M25 mate

Is that route clear of congestion in the early evening?

we have lads go into mitcham and they say depending on the time of day depends on the way they go in as there is a restriction on the short way at certain times of the day

LeedsChris:

FLIP:

Is that route clear of congestion in the early evening?

Absolutely not! Nor is anywhere else I’m afraid. Allow plenty of time!