route to greece

i might have a bit of a wierd trip coming up , ive not done a great deal of the balkans so any ideas would be good
i think there it will be go to croatia for one possibly in the split region . from there its onward to greece the north east region nearish to turkey followed by one in poland :open_mouth: any ideas people :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

i should add that the boss would be looking at overland rather than ferries

mad monk:
i should add that the boss would be looking at overland rather than ferries

:open_mouth: :laughing: Well some of that area is on the Tom Tom now, Bulgaria for one. There is a map for Turkey now also I see. Not been that way myself - so far.

What about Germany, Austria,Solvinia Croatia,
YOU WILL need Winter Tyres & Snowchains,
I have a friend returning back from croatia on Friday
Mike I will ask him how the roads are also which way he
used, What about useing the boat from Grecce to Italy
when you have picked up the one their,
It makes sense as you can use the better road system to
get through Italy,Austria; into Germany and up to poland,
ALSO what about PICKING UP THE Polish car and
parking it down by a german firm down by Munchen, until you return
from collecting the other cars,

hi pete . if it goes ahead the uk to croatia shouldnt be a problem , to be honest i was thinking about germany austria and down , its the bit from croatia to greece , we are looking at overland routes rather than the ferries from italy .

No Mike I ment that you should use the ferry when you
have picked up the car in Grecce, as the roads are better
and that may save time and trouble, you will find that the
weather may cause you more problems then any thing else#
A friend was in croatia last week and is on his way home
and should be back friday night he was down not far where
you are going he was collecting some goods for his boss,
By the way you could even go through austria,Italy,through
TRIESTE Slowinia into Croatia and down to split perhaps,

im kinda thinking from greece perhaps bulgaria , romania , slovakia , poland or either macedonia , serbia into hungary then czech and poland . like i say ive not done a great deal of the balkans , normally when i do greece i ship over from ancona or venice into patra

Sounds like a lovely trip Mr Monkā€¦the sun should still be shining from Split downwards. Look forward to the diary of course. :wink: :smiley:

Monk,

You have a pm

mad monk:
in the split region

that oneā€™s at Ploce MM - PM me if you want :slight_smile:

mad monk:
i might have a bit of a wierd trip coming up , ive not done a great deal of the balkans so any ideas would be good
i think there it will be go to croatia for one possibly in the split region . from there its onward to greece the north east region nearish to turkey followed by one in poland :open_mouth: any ideas people :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Split to Greece wont be easy overland , in fact i have my doubts that it is doable atall . Would suggest you look at boats ex split . Good luck .

turnip:
Split to Greece wont be easy overland , in fact i have my doubts that it is doable atall . Would suggest you look at boats ex split . Good luck .

have you been there yourself? or is it just mmtm

split to greece would be best through serbia and macedonia - motorway almost all the way. greece to poland you would need to take the road from alexandroupoli to svilengrad(bg). from there keep towards bucharest, and from there either arad or oradea, depending on where in poland you are headed.

and the boat from ancona to split is also an option, its a passenger ferry leaving every evening, costs about Ć¢ā€šĀ¬330 for an artic

Split to Greece is a doddle, and well sign posted, so long as you use your head. From Split to Greece should take about two 9 hour shifts with some of the best scenery and views in the world. Head down the coast on the E65, through the little bit of BiH that jutts out(they sometimes dont even check passports here, never mind load or manifest) and past Dubrovnic. Down into Montenegro, youā€™ll come up to the ferry at Tivat (you can drive around, but it takes longer), itā€™s been 4 years since I was on the ferry, but from recolection itā€™s about 20 euro. Off the ferry, down to Petrovac then inland to Podgorica. Pick up the signs for Pec, then up over them thar hills, one more border crossing into Kosovo, direction of Pristina. Once there head south to the Macedonian border. South passing Skopje and Veles to the Greek border at Gevgelia. Then it only remains to pull into Polycastro and have a brew. The road from Podgorica to Pec is quite forbidding in parts but very rewarding, and most of the people who live in the hills seem very friendly(however try and break your journey by overnighting at customs at a border crossing, the Croats on the Montenergan border tryed to get me ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  once, happy days). Hope this helps.

PS. Greece, Macedonia, Serbia(great motorway that starts after about an hour of A road from the border), thats the way Iā€™d go. Done that way a couple of years ago, but then I was heading onto Croatia, Slovenia and into Italy.

To Split:
Slovenia-Crotia, either via France & Italy or Germany & Austria. Iā€™d personally decide on this based on amount of snow in Austria and situation at / around tunels between France and Italy.

Split to Greeceā€¦ wowā€¦ Iā€™d go E65 (#8) to Dubrovnik - crossing the tiny bit of Bosnia (you MIGHT need visa, at least used to be the case few years ago). Then to Montenegro - visa free, they even donā€™t have their own currency and use euro instead. Kotor - Podgorica and then at Bjelo Polje left turn onto E763 (#5) to Cacak (Chachak) and then either ā€œacrossā€ through Kragujevac or SE via 22 kraljevo - krusevac to join the E75 for Nis, Skopje and Greece.
This is to avoid Kosovo (Podgorica) - you donā€™t want go that way. Similarly, you donā€™t want to go via Albania.
Alternatively, you can try Ploce-Mostar-Sarajevo-Rogatica-Uzice-Cacak-E75 - Iā€™ve never been to or through Bosnia so probably would not recommend.

Greece to Poland: Efzoni-Gevgelija - Macedonia - Serbia - Hungary - Slovakia - Poland for me. Or SK-CZ-PL, depends where you are going to.
Serbia is not EU but this route has more dual carriageways and my impression is some things work better there than in Romania.

HomoFaber:
Greece to Poland: Efzoni-Gevgelija - Macedonia - Serbia - Hungary - Slovakia - Poland for me. Or SK-CZ-PL, depends where you are going to.
Serbia is not EU but this route has more dual carriageways and my impression is some things work better there than in Romania.

why in the world would anyone want to go through macedonia and serbia to get to poland from eastern greece? with all the customs and borders?

milodon:

HomoFaber:

why in the world would anyone want to go through macedonia and serbia to get to poland from eastern greece? with all the customs and borders?

:blush: oh yes, sorry, my brain was thinking as the one of small car driver for that while. Yes, trucking may be easier (paper-wise) via BG and ROā€¦
But the roadsā€¦ and nearly everyone seems to be in charge of a toll or fee collectionā€¦

HI Mike have spoke to my mate he has just returned from a
a trip to Ston (croatia) AND went via
Graz, Spilfield, Maribor,
Zagreb,Ston,
Autoaban is good, the other roads okay but
narrow, you need to change your money before entering Croatia
as they did not take Euros off him, change your money
in solvinia,MAY BE A BETTER OPITION

HomoFaber:
Split to Greeceā€¦ wowā€¦ Iā€™d go E65 (#8) to Dubrovnik - crossing the tiny bit of Bosnia (you MIGHT need visa, at least used to be the case few years ago). Then to Montenegro - visa free, they even donā€™t have their own currency and use euro instead. Kotor - Podgorica and then at Bjelo Polje left turn onto E763 (#5) to Cacak (Chachak) and then either ā€œacrossā€ through Kragujevac or SE via 22 kraljevo - krusevac to join the E75 for Nis, Skopje and Greece.
This is to avoid Kosovo (Podgorica) - you donā€™t want go that way.

No visa needed for that wee bit of Bosnia (like I said, sometimes they donā€™t even check your passport) when I transited last four years ago.
Why would you want to avoid Kosovo? The route I gave was based on driving conditions at this time of year(safety).

Erā€¦cost, and the borders on virtually all routes mentioned in this thread are relativly quick to cross, laden or unladen.

viamichelin shows 1783km alexandroupoli gr to radom pl through oradea, ro
and 1941 km through mk and srb.

and cost? its a couple of hundred euros for transiting mk alonem and so on and so on. and IƂĀ“ve been on every route mentioned here more, than I care to remember. not to mention I have no idea how you could say that the borders are easy to cross, sometimes the queues are for a day or so

According to the BIH Foreign Affairs Ministry, EU citizens do not need visa to visit or transit BIH.
Several years ago you (well, at least me, with Slovak passport) were supposed to get visa from embassy prior to travel. The only exception was the crossing at Metkovic where you could get the visa upon entry. This was to ease pilgrimages to Medjugorje. Perhaps SK was not in the EU thenā€¦ whatever.

Kosovo - if you have not noticed, Kosovo declared independence earlier this year (February time, IIRC) under more or less obvious support of the USA (as they had discovered oil somewhere in norther Albania). Many countries have recognized the independent Kosovo (incl. UK I think) but many have not - incl. Serbia which part Kosovo is / was. Thereā€™s a sort of a government, not truly functional IMHO, police forces are provided by the EU to limit drug smuggling from Albania, slave trade, stolen cars trade etc. Thereā€™s nothing like Kosovan army but thereā€™re some armed freedom-fighting groups. And the UN peacekeepers. And Serbian army all around the disputed borders. According to some backpackers blogs Iā€™ve come across, cars with numberplates from all over Europe are driven around Kosovo. Bought or stolen, who knows, but no one can be bothered to re-register them. And thereā€™s probably no official authority to do it either. And so on and so onā€¦