Route to Bologna?!?!?!

Guy’s

I’m really struggling here.
Can you advise me on a suitable route to Bologna from the tunnel as to be honest I don’t have a clue i’m looking at my Europe Atlas and my brain is smoking!!!

i’ve been told by my boss that it’s ok to go via the blanc but thats all he said.

I’ve got to take the new guy with me how has never been across the water(really is blind leading the blind!!)
I’ve only done Frankfurt once and now I’m starting to worry as I’m feeling really out of my depth.

Thanks all
Adam

Adam,
Its a six and two three choice whether you go Frejus or Blanc. Frejus just follow Piacenza and Blanc Follow Milan to the AI and follow Piacenza. Throw your europe map on the bunk and get an italian map as well.

Italy is well signed and autoroutes are easy to follow, especially with a second man.

Good Luck

Malc

You might find www.maporama.com interesting.

Vince

From the Pipe. Straight out of Calais on the A26. Follow the signs for Reims and then Dijon (a few Auto route changes, but all in a line). About Dijon is a choice. Take the A39 round to the west or the A6 straight south. Both go to Lyon. If you are going via Mont Blanc, go A39 (about 1:30 quicker and a bit cheaper), follow signs for Geneve and Milan (Milano in Italy). If you are going Tunnel Frejus (ADR or bulging curtains), follow signs for Chambery and Turin (Torino in Italy). From Torino follow the A21 for Alessandria, Piacenza, Parma Modena and Bologna. From Santhia go to Alessandria etc.

Places to stop on route.
4:30 ish. Just before Reims at the Mont Nizy services( services just after are rubbish).
9:00 ish. A bit south of Dijon. Beaune services has a Centre Routier on it. A39 Jura services.
10:00ish, Macon centre routier, off at junc 28 and follow signs.
Just before Frejus Tunnel. Le Chambre, off at junc 26. after peage go to AS24 fuel site, turn off the road and follow the dirt track to the lorry park. Restaurant is on the far right corner of the supermarket.
Even closer to Frejus, at Modane, follow signs for the Autoport.
Route to Mont Blanc I don’t know well enough to advise you.
After Frejus, the Autoport at Susa. Autoport at Torino. Good place (I’me told) at Villanova d’ Asti (signposted from Autostrada). TIR park at Campogalliano, From Modena turn north onto A22 for Mantova, take 1st exit and follow signs. Not a great place but you’ll meet lots of Brits there, food does the job, clean showers you can even get an authentic Italian haircut.
After Mont Blanc. Autoport at Aosta, Santhia truckstop and down to Campo’.
Any services in Italy, but if parking overnight don’t park round the back, where you are told to. If possible, discounting signs, park out of the way round the front, near the manned petrol pumps. They are not security, but with people coming and going all the time in a lit area, you’ll feel much more secure.

Thank you All Very Much

Adam :smiley:

flub007 if you have to park at the interport in turin be careful… especially if you have to get out in the night for a wee! the men are very very very friendly… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

also carisio midway between turin and milan is a popular restaurant-la garonne. stella behind the bar speaks very good english and will help you if she can. good meal, good showers, reasonably safe parking( only slashed once in 5 years). gets a bit rowdy late at night but thats the brits for ya!

Thanks All,
Trip went well.
Got to go back in a couple of weeks :laughing: :open_mouth: :smiley: :laughing:

Just a quick query what is the speed limit in Italy I thought it was 80 but don’t think anybody else does.

Cheers,
Ad

The speed limit is 80km/h. They pay as much attention to that, as we do to the 40mph on single tracks :laughing: :laughing: .
Same as over here tho’, if the old bill catch you it a big fine. Also the Italian police will quite happily pull a Brit out of a long line of wagons, all doing the same speed because we are seen as an easy touch.

Hi, how’s it hanging ? This is my my first post on this absolutley fantastic site ! I realise “flub007” has finished the trip but for the benefit of drivers reading this thread…

Bologna from Frejus or the Blanc ? Frejus is slightly longer in distance but either way the scenery is bostin’ !

Me and two mates have just come back from collecting three 40’ containers from Piraeus/Athens. Most of my experience is Belgium, Holland and Germany so I was a little nervous about the Blanc and Italy after hearing the numerous horror stories from other drivers - I found it extremely easy so long as you take your time.

Nevertheless, fridges aren’t allowed through the Blanc and there’s a height restriction of 4.1 metres. On the French side, just before last Péage (before the tunnel), and you have to stop at a place called “Transportes Obligatoires” (I’m not sure of the spelling) for the local officials to check your truck and give you a green window sticker. What for ? I haven’t got a clue…!

We kept a steady 80 kph through Italy and never had a problem. On the way back from Piraeus/Athens was another story - over-active sphincter or what !!!

Just like to say Welcome to TruckNetUK Brummie
Glad to have you on board mate. Sounds like you have got a wealth of info and experience to share with us all on these boards. Welcome in mate… All the Best!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

hello brummie, the green stickers for the euro rating of the truck mate. the locals in the alps dont want smelly old motors running through any more so its euro 2 minimum now(i think :laughing: ). as you now know-italys real easy as long as your not daft where you park! just watch out for the plod at the pedaggio who seem to be attracted to brit motors( coffee money!!) .
cheers-jon

Fridges are not allowed through the Blanc?? Is this so? I am sure I have been thro there with a fridge?? Am confused now :confused: :confused:

TheBear:
Fridges are not allowed through the Blanc?? Is this so? I am sure I have been thro there with a fridge?? Am confused now :confused: :confused:

Not anymore, also pregnant tilts and euroliners
biggles

I was talking to a bloke who works for Fransens, delivering pharmaceuticals to Athens. He said that they’d stopped allowing fridges through since the fire. Whether he was full of the proverbial brown stuff, or whether he was on the level - I don’t know. Anyway, he said it was due to fridge boxes being slightly wider than other trailers. Who am I to argue ? He seemed to be a genuine bloke.

JONBOY@RH - both Blanc & Frejus websites are till giving prices for Euro 0 upwards.

spaceman:
JONBOY@RH - both Blanc & Frejus websites are till giving prices for Euro 0 upwards.

Strange dont think you can get through either with a euro 0 truck would think it would be the Vent with a euro 0

Hi, what i have read is all good advise,but the one thing no one has mention is Bolangna has an inner and outer ring round,so firstly make sure you have the right address then secondly get 2atlas, one is the red atlas its like the Bible of Italy, then get yourself a good map of bolangna,after going their for a long time it still always confused me.But most of all enjoy it taste the food and wine,finally a little tip if you get lost just say dova por for por its like dover with an a on the end ,and you will find most people will help you.
good luck wish i was going with you
alf

It’s EURO 1 and above for both tunnels now, no EURO 0. Euro 2 and above gets a green sticker and EURO 1 has their own colour, blue I think.

Just before the entrance to the Blanc now you have to pass through a heat detector. Drive slowly through and then either the light goes green and a barrier lifts to let you carry on to the toll booth or a different barrier lifts and you proceed round to the parking to be checked as they think they have detected something hot. :open_mouth: