Route Planning

Do you plan your route? Or do you just enter the destination into your satellite navigation system and follow it!

I use a ten year-old TomTom and a 2012 bridge-height map.

Been okay so far (touch wood) but to hear some people talking, you need to spend £600 on a truck version…

No need to spend £600 on a truck satnav, they come way cheaper than that. I plug it into the satnav, see what that recommends, crosscheck with the truckers map and see if any areas could be a problem and check those out in google maps & streetview if required. Admittedly I’m on containers so probably wouldn’t work all that well in a multidrop environment.

a 12 year old car satnav,a atlas of uk or europe and keep my eyes open for signs has always worked well enough for me though im seldom running with anything higher than a fridge.
id wing it till nearly there in the uk,or have it on after i come off the ferry in france,then just look and decide as it goes.

I put the address in on Google maps to find the exact location of the company and then use my road atlas to plan my own route. I don’t own a sat nav and have managed fine for the last few years including multi drop. You definitely don’t need a £600 sat nav but I know drivers who won’t go anywhere without one. As long as the job gets done it doesn’t really matter how you do it

Come on mr Hasler give us your thoughts :unamused: :laughing:

I use a £40 generic truck satnav bought off ebay and it does the job perfectly. It doesn’t have badge snob appeal, but that’s pretty much the end of its failings. If other folk want to spend £600 on a satnav, then good luck and may the Lord’s blessing go with you.

ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Inch-Truck … 0505.m3226

Paid out for a Tom Tom truck sat nav 2 years ago and use it with Google maps street view to pinpoint my drops. Worth the investment to me as on general haulage with different drops every day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I had the same one as Harry until I let it fall. Imagine if it had cost £600. instead of £40.00. It did every thing that a sat-nav could do. I am using an old one now ,next time that I am flush I will buy a new one.

Google maps…

On my phone for any traffic problems or a new destination. The drops I do are weekly sometimes daily deliveries so I know the majority of the journey before I leave the yard. I do have an old road map in my car but I reckon it doesn’t even show the M25.

I’ve recently started with another firm local to me and I’ve found all of their drops without directions or badly drawn maps on napkins.

So much of the job is motorway now, that if you’re up to scratch with yer motorway network getting around isn’t quite the art it used to be.

I don’t own a stand-alone truck/car Sat-nav.

I have used one of the cheapo ebay truck navs that took me all round the UK Ireland and Europe.
I used to have an expensive Garmin but that didn’t survive falling onto concrete from the windscreen late at night when I opened the door .
I also have up to date truck maps and used Google to sort out locations when the office manages to fudge up the addresses of delivery or collections .
I always confirmed the sat nav route on a truck atlas before setting off . A consideration is also given to the cheaper toll route when travelling in Europe .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

mm1988:
I put the address in on Google maps to find the exact location of the company and then use my road atlas to plan my own route. I don’t own a sat nav and have managed fine for the last few years including multi drop. You definitely don’t need a £600 sat nav but I know drivers who won’t go anywhere without one. As long as the job gets done it doesn’t really matter how you do it

This ^^^^

Plus my pile of A to Zs .

Ability to read, good eye sight,a good UK map to get you to the area and the tongue in your head to get to your delivery point,anything else is a bonus

I use Google maps and street view a lot delivering mobile breast screeners to figure out which entrance/exit to use for car parks and look around the site for either the trailer parked in there a previous time or looking for boxes on the outside wall that could be my power/water/data.

Street view makes me look good :sunglasses:

The ability to use google then street view is great to pinpoint companies and entrances .
Loads of times the information passed down the chain contains errors.
The company was bought out / changed its name 2 years ago .
The post code has mistakes
The road name is spelt wrong .
Pick one or in one case on a friday afternoon in Birmingham all three !
The common one is in Europe where most postcodes are numbers only and often passed on with the numbers in the wrong order . You end up asking for directions from locals when the site is 40kms away .
Or the address given is the head office / registered office / showroom and you want the factory or warehouse.
Very common when doing third party work and some numpty is lazy / blind / dyslexic or useless at even the simple task of passing on information.
They tend to pass on only basic information for fear of you poaching customers.
( who would do such a thing ■■? [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38])

Used to stop at the first garage for a local map, you know the ones that would never ever fold up the way it was when you got it, then went to a TomTom, (first one there was I later found out when I dug it out years later and tried to update it) but now I use pretty much everything mentioned above and cross reference addresses and access routes, even down to Google maps to view the delivery gate in some places as address on paperwork is rarely address you want to get into the place.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Harry Monk:
I use a £40 generic truck satnav bought off ebay and it does the job perfectly. It doesn’t have badge snob appeal, but that’s pretty much the end of its failings. If other folk want to spend £600 on a satnav, then good luck and may the Lord’s blessing go with you.

thanks for that…i do use only google maps atm as know almost all stores we deliver, but with plans to change my job ill get one of these for sure…

LL79:

Harry Monk:

thanks for that…i do use only google maps atm as know almost all stores we deliver, but with plans to change my job ill get one of these for sure…

Try to get one with at least 8GB of memory the 4GB ones fill up fast if you do lots of different destinations and save the routes or keep lots of places of interest stored .

I use a plotter and divider, a sextant and the stars because there’s no such thing as progress :unamused:

Here Toonsy, some people are saying that the World is round , I don’t believe them. What do you think?

alamcculloch:
Here Toonsy, some people are saying that the World is round , I don’t believe them. What do you think?

I think they’re using words of the devil and should be burnt at the stake :slight_smile: