Route from London, avoiding j25 of M25

Hi,
Wondering whether anyone can help me with a route.
I do a night trunk from Manchester to Walthamstow, and the M25 is closed for the next couple of weeks at j25.
I have followed the diversion tonight (starting at A10, and through Hertford), but this has taken me into a 10 hour, and I can obviously only do this once more this week.
Am a new driver, and a bit unsure of routes I can use in London.
Think it’s going to be a bit tight anyway, as a good one way journey is 4 hours, 15 mins.
Would really appreciate if anyone has a better route.
Thanks in advance.

You could, subject to the height of your trailer, go down to the end of the M1 and pick up the A406 north circular.

How high is your trailer ?

Don’t be afraid to refuse the run if you don’t think you’ll make it in 9 hours after using ur 10s. Unless they’ll come and recover you that is.

I’m running at 14’9".
It’s only on the return to Manchester that I’ll need it. Will give that route a go tomorrow, but will let the boss that they might need to get somebody else to do the route for the rest of the week - I’m pretty sure there is an M1 closure towards the end of the week, and they’ll probably be something else on the m6, between 18 and 21.
The boss is good, so it won’t be a problem - just trying to check alternatives first.
Thank you very much for your help.

On a night run, I’d be going straight down the M1 then A406 E/B to Walthamstow anyway, providing you are under 15’6" (4.7M)

SEDriver:
On a night run, I’d be going straight down the M1 then A406 E/B to Walthamstow anyway, providing you are under 15’6" (4.7M)

+1 shouldn’t add significantly to your time either I wouldn’t have thought.

fastest Route may be Man/ste B/ham-M40-A40-North Circular

Immigrant:
fastest Route may be Man/ste B/ham-M40-A50-North Circular

Think you mean the A40. Always use the A406 overnight for east London to the north routes. Quickest by far

OVLOV JAY:

Immigrant:
fastest Route may be Man/ste B/ham-M40-A40-North Circular

Think you mean the A40. Always use the A406 overnight for east London to the north routes. Quickest by far

Sorry, sorted it

Thank you everyone, for your help - will give it a try tonight.

Going across the a14 and down the M11 will only add 10 mins to your journey

chester1:

Are you sure, i’m not convinced!!!
From my yard to the M25 is 1hr 40 mins.
From my yard to Cambridge services is 1hr 30 mins.
It’s a lot shorter from the M1 to the M11 than Cambridge services to the M11.

M40 j1a-j1 has been closed overnight, as has the A40 closer into London.
M1/A406 is a good call, so long as you are not too tall, as it’s pretty clear through the night.

If the A14 is open, then the A14/M11 is a good call too, as likely to be less of a ball ache than the diversions when the M1 is closed from J12 down (for J11a) or for sign washing or whatever else they seem to shut down the motorway network for this week!

Thanks for the help. I did the North Circular, but think I made a bit of a mistake as I joined the A1 before trying to join the M1 - the slip road was closed. The diversion didn’t add too much time, but the scenic (not) diversion through Bedfordshire (M1 shut at j10) left me getting back to the yard with 1 minute to spare!

chester1:

That right? Doesn’t sound it at all.A14 seems to last forever!!

halewood:

chester1:

It’s 15 miles further up the M11, but more often than not it’s quicker

Eleanor:
Thanks for the help. I did the North Circular, but think I made a bit of a mistake as I joined the A1 before trying to join the M1 - the slip road was closed. The diversion didn’t add too much time, but the scenic (not) diversion through Bedfordshire (M1 shut at j10) left me getting back to the yard with 1 minute to spare!

So which way did you actually go, start to finish ?

I went in my usual way - m25, off at j25, then A10, A1055, but coming back was a nightmare. Went to the end of the north circular, and M1 was closed, so followed diversion. The A1 went down to one lane, and the next 2 junctions onto the M1 were closed.
Think I might try the official diversion from the M25 up the A10, tomorrow night, and see if that fares better than last Monday.

They really screw you with night closures these days. With the M1 closed at Staples Corner and at J10 I’d have probably carried on round to Hangar Lane on the A406 and gone up the M40.

Thankfully the M25 junction is now open. M1 north is still shut up to J4, until the middle of May.
Nearly got caught on the M1 last night as there were 45 minutes delays between 14 and 13. Decided to park up at Watford gap for just over an hour, for it to clear. It was either that or having to take a 9 hours, and losing my Saturday. The joy of a run which is 4 hours, 15 minutes - not much room for delays on that.

Night-and-day:

halewood:

chester1:

It’s 15 miles further up the M11, but more often than not it’s quicker

Quicker if m1 or 25 knackered not under normal traffic it’s just an alternative which isn’t that much longer . Yes 10 mins a bit optimistic but still no more than 20