Route Advice

Setting off on Monday from Selby down to Southampton. Any advice on the quickest route please. Not too sure what time of day it may be yet. Either mid morning or early afternoon. Thanks in advance.

Ive been told to take the A43 or M69 across from the M1 but is the A42 the better option?

I’d probably go M42 - M40 then A34.

a1-m1-a43-a34-m3

rookie07:
Ive been told to take the A43 or M69 across from the M1 but is the A42 the better option?

Depends on the time of day - the M42 could take you straight through Birmingham rush hour traffic, while the A43 is more direct (but with more roundabouts) and takes you through the roadworks on the M1 north of Northampton.

Don’t even think of taking the M69 and A46 at a busy time - they are upgrading one of the roundabouts on that route (the A45/A46 junction south-east of Coventry) and there are tailbacks for miles.

I’d say pull over north of Nottingham and check the traffic news (the flashing light warnings will give you a clue as well).

scotstrucker:
a1-m1-a43-a34-m3

This.

Good advice from Indigojo. There are a handfull of viable routes you could take, but being a Monday chances are many or all will be bolloxed. I’d let the travel news dictate to me tbh.

The best way normaly would be A1/M18/M1/A43/M40/A34/M3 - however with the road works on the M1 I would consider A1/B6325 past the sugar factory/A46/M1/A43/M40/A34/M3 its probably longer but more chance of everything moving

all options about the same
heavy 42
or light 43
manual down the 42
auto 43
via Cov if its clear

some ay different on your return

Not sure if they are still doing the bridge at Milton on the a34 if they are it’s down to 1 lane,not been down that way for a while
Apologies if it’s finished .

Daytrunker:
Not sure if they are still doing the bridge at Milton on the a34 if they are it’s down to 1 lane,not been down that way for a while

Just looked on local BBC Travel news and the roadworks at Milton are still going on, with 30mph speed limits and one lane closed.

Daytrunker:

Yep, still there, avoid the area between 07.00 & 09.00, can be a nightmare !
In fact the 34 from the M40 past Milton is a PIA (especially between those times)

martinviking:

Daytrunker:

In fact the 34 from the M40 past Milton is a PIA (especially between those times)

Could it be quicker to take the old A423 towards Reading during the daytime? There’s no weight limit as far as I’m aware, although it’s hilly and bendy near Reading. You can either then take the M4 to rejoin the A34 at Newbury, or take the A33 and join the M3 at Basingstoke (if you do that, head round the north of town for the A30, as there’s roadworks at junction 6).

IndigoJo:

martinviking:

Daytrunker:

Could it be quicker to take the old A423 towards Reading during the daytime? There’s no weight limit as far as I’m aware, although it’s hilly and bendy near Reading. You can either then take the M4 to rejoin the A34 at Newbury, or take the A33 and join the M3 at Basingstoke (if you do that, head round the north of town for the A30, as there’s roadworks at junction 6).

If the 34’s busy, every where else will be busy, so you might as well stay on it, it usually clears after Milton. It’s just all the Yummy Mummys & single occupant cars commuting that screw it up during the rush hour.

Then of course, you’ve got the inevitable RTA usually involving an HGV.

It’s like night follows day, guaranteed accident every other day !

Thank God I’m going north on Monday up the M6 (OH NO ! That’s just as bad !!!)

Im not sure on the a42 as I go down from leicester most days. M69 a46 m40 a34 m3 for me. The tollbar roadworks on the a46/a45 are not bad at all if its not rush hour.