Route advice (South West)

Not a regular visitor to the south west but tomorrow I’m delivering to a feed mill at Barrow Gurney which is just south of Bristol on the A370. The route I’m planning to use is come off at junction 18/19 of the M5 and follow the 370 out of Bristol. Just wondered if anyone is familiar with the area or knows of any potential hazards for a Hgv. Im in a bulk tipper so about 12’10" but I’ve not seen any bridges on the map.

Also, when tipped in heading down to Andover. Is it possible to cut through Shepton Mallet and Frome or is there a more suitable way for a Hgv? I don’t mind a few extra miles for an easier run!

Cheers
Matt.

you going to James’s mill barrow gurney if so

I use jct 18 18A I think for the A4 portway then pick up the A370 no bridge’s etc to worry about’ just a note of warning they are doing water mains work on barrow street when I was there Thursday the road was closed to through traffic but still had acess to the mill although some bits were tight (8 wheeler) there is a signed diversion but give them a ring first for best way in.

Come off at 18. Weight limits coming off at 19 towards Bristol.
To get to Andover i would come back into Bristol (cos of weight limits again), A37, midsomer norton, frome, then down to mere to pick up the A303.

The A370 is fine for hgv’s.

You will need to get off the M5 at J18 and head along the Portway (A4)

To get to Andover, your idea of Shepton Mallet/Frome will be ok, followed by Warminster then the A36 (Salisbury direction) to hit the A303

snowman77:
you going to James’s mill barrow gurney if so

I use jct 18 18A I think for the A4 portway then pick up the A370 no bridge’s etc to worry about’ just a note of warning they are doing water mains work on barrow street when I was there Thursday the road was closed to through traffic but still had acess to the mill although some bits were tight (8 wheeler) there is a signed diversion but give them a ring first for best way in.

Yeah that’s where I’m heading. Any idea which route the attics were taking? I’m gonna be there pretty early so doubt anyone will be there to answer the phone. What’s it like when you get to the mill?

You should be aware that the B3130 road from the A370 to the A38 through Barrow Gurney is now closed for 6 months. As you come off the slip road there are lots of road Closed and Diversion signs, however access is available to Barrow Gurney but I would phone James to double check 01275 463496 Normally, the best route in and out is via the A370 if only to save the tighter parts of the road near the Princes Motto pub. From the A370 its not far to James which are on the left, not the biggest place and its also a store open to the public so watch out for car drivers doing daft things!
For Andover I would say the easiest way is to go back into Bristol then M32, M4, Newbury A34, A303. You could go Bristol A4, Bath, A36 then A303.

sorry no idea which way the artics are going possible comeing in from the A38 ■■? or using the route I posted which is normally ok for all traffic except for the water mains being replaced, as for the yard it’s small but should be ok if all there lorrys have gone