Route advice please

Wheel Nut:
Galileo is work in progress but if we Brexit and Trump gets his own way, we will be relying on maps we can eat.

Remember Trump wants a financial return on everything American. Sat Nav is free at the minute.

I cant see how trumpy is going to achieve that unless he orders the sats to be switched off !

raymundo:

Wheel Nut:
Galileo is work in progress but if we Brexit and Trump gets his own way, we will be relying on maps we can eat.

Remember Trump wants a financial return on everything American. Sat Nav is free at the minute.

I cant see how trumpy is going to achieve that unless he orders the sats to be switched off !

The ability to supply satellite navigation signals is also the ability to deny their availability. The operator of a satellite navigation system potentially has the ability to degrade or eliminate satellite navigation services over any territory it desires.

If they are infallible why is every major power racing to get their own gps system. Galileo comes on stream in 2 years

Apart from a basic choice of routes, there’s roadworks and other local events etc, that can alter the best choice.
If one follows a SatNav and never compares that route to others, how does one know the SatNav route is optimal?
Example: my SatNav tried giving me a route avoiding… ? I don’t know what. It seemed to want to avoid a section of road with no problems.
Fail to oversee the SatNav and it could steer you on too long a route. Fail to check and you’ll never be aware of it’s failings. It may not route you under a low bridge but may avoid non-existent bridges, causing lost time.

Edit. Typo
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

To be helpful…

You can’t go through Bradford on Avon because of the 18-tonne weight limit on the bridge so it’s the A36 and A4 to Bath, then Bristol and the M5.

I can remember my first marine ‘sat nav’ in the mid to late 80’s, made by Robertson and think it were called the Navigator. Major problem with that was only about 5 or 6 passes per day so the machine fixed the positions at other times by ‘dead reckoning’ calculations so not very reliable, the satellites then were not geo stationary.

raymundo:
I can remember my first marine ‘sat nav’ in the mid to late 80’s, made by Robertson and think it were called the Navigator. Major problem with that was only about 5 or 6 passes per day so the machine fixed the positions at other times by ‘dead reckoning’ calculations so not very reliable, the satellites then were not geo stationary.

"The GPS project was launched in the United States in 1973 to overcome the limitations of previous navigation systems, integrating ideas from several predecessors, including classified engineering design studies from the 1960s. The U.S. Department of Defense developed the system, which originally used 24 satellites. It was initially developed for use by the United States military and became fully operational in 1995. Civilian use was allowed from the 1980s.
The design of GPS is based partly on similar ground-based radio-navigation systems, such as LORAN and the Decca Navigator, developed in the early 1940s."

My routes are decided on a whim and may change last minute or even during a journey. Captain of my own ship, living the dream and all that ■■■■■■■■.

Brexit is going to make all the sat navs go dark is it? I will ■■■■ myself watching trucker jay colliding with a railway bridge! :smiley: (that’s if Donald trump doesn’t switch off YouTube) :unamused:

Lets be honest if the ■■■■ navs go dark most if not all the current youtube vloggers would be sat still for ever more…
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jbaz73:
Brexit is going to make all the sat navs go dark is it? I will ■■■■ myself watching trucker jay colliding with a railway bridge! :smiley: (that’s if Donald trump doesn’t switch off YouTube) :unamused:

Now that is something I would willingly pay to watch …

Taking an artic through Bath isn’t the nicest thing to do. Even with the so called ‘ring road’.

It’s too late for the OP but I would suggest the long way around. The roads around Trowbridge aren’t bad at all but it gets worse very quickly and Bath is normally one long jam IMHO

And personally I dislike the A38 intensely

Thanks for the replies , I made it to Weston and got tipped , I won’t divulge which route I took as it will only open the door to the perfect ones in this world to tell me I shouldn’t have gone the way I did :laughing:

If I was you I wouldn’t start from here [emoji12]

Wheel Nut:
If I was you I wouldn’t start from here [emoji12]

It seems further than what it is but it ain’t. :smiley: