Roundabouts, after you have passed!

When doing C+E training, we all learned to stick to lanes where feasible on roundabouts and perfected the art in the training vehicle. But I have sub-consciously found myself getting fed up with the antics of (particularly) van drivers on roundabouts and on the smaller ones started routinely taking two lanes on approach and on the roundabout, closing the door to nutters attempting dangerous overtakes. It honestly feels safer.

I have also observed a lot of other artic drivers doing exactly the same. Now I could go on doing this, I haven’t once been flashed or tooted for doing it, and no one seems to care.

But it got me wondering - is this a bad habit that I should knock on the head before it gets totally ingrained, or in the real world do most do this on smaller roundabouts? Of course roundabout size seems to be the key to it, and I guess I am mainly talking about splitting lanes when you could just about get around in the lanes, but anything van size or bigger in the next lane would make it dangerous if they chose to pass you as they are rarely bothered about moving towards or even into your lane.

Am I just getting lazy and wanting the easy life, or is it a case where textbook driving test driving is not the same as real world driving? I’m particularly interested in other new drivers views if any care to be honest about things they get up to after they pass!

It’s defensive driving. By taking a commanding position on the road you are reducing the likely hood of having an accident.

Take as much room as you need if you stop someone coming down the outside of you at a roundabout tough ■■■■■, what your doing is saving them getting squashed as you swing out but they are too impatient to realise it.
Never worry about how much room you need at the end of the day its your job your protecting.one of our shops in Worcester is by the river you have to pull onto the opposite side of the road swing forward across both lanes stopping traffic to reverse up an alley it takes as long as it takes.

Jeff.

m1cks:
It’s defensive driving. By taking a commanding position on the road you are reducing the likely hood of having an accident.

Agree with this, you have to look after yourself out there because no one will do it for you, if in doubt take up 2 lanes but be wary of sneaky buggers coming up on your nearside.

If the layout is such that its impossible for you to stay completely within the confines of your lane at all times whilst negotiating the hazard then take up more than your lane on the approach - that is allowed on the test and should have been taught during training

Take the room you safely need and use your nearside mirror to see what’s at the side of you.

Pau :smiley:

Thanks for replies.

ROG:
If the layout is such that its impossible for you to stay completely within the confines of your lane at all times whilst negotiating the hazard then take up more than your lane on the approach - that is allowed on the test and should have been taught during training

To clarify - that was taught during training, and I understand that.

I’m really talking about those where it is just possible to keep in lane, but as I said above I am beginning to think that this invites trouble, especially if it reduces to 1 lane after the roundabout. The white van man who has been on your tail for the last 5 miles will ‘have a go’, and either recklessly cut in, or screech to a halt alongside you - either way you have to stop.

So you have a choice between staying completely in lane, going slowly (required due to tight lanes), annoying those behind you, and inviting reckless overtakes…
OR going around marginally faster in both lanes keeping things moving and shutting the door to white van man.

I am pretty sure a DSA examiner would expect the first one as you can stay in the lane. But I am slowly getting more convinced that the safest thing to do on these smaller roundabouts is to occupy both lanes on approach and roundabout.

In my assessment one of the things I was told was to plan ahead more i kept driving into lanes like I was in a car but then found myself scuffing curbs exiting smaller roundabouts etc

th2013:
Thanks for replies.

ROG:

To clarify - that was taught during training, and I understand that.

I’m really talking about those where it is just possible to keep in lane, but as I said above I am beginning to think that this invites trouble, especially if it reduces to 1 lane after the roundabout. The white van man who has been on your tail for the last 5 miles will ‘have a go’, and either recklessly cut in, or screech to a halt alongside you - either way you have to stop.

So you have a choice between staying completely in lane, going slowly (required due to tight lanes), annoying those behind you, and inviting reckless overtakes…
OR going around marginally faster in both lanes keeping things moving and shutting the door to white van man.

I am pretty sure a DSA examiner would expect the first one as you can stay in the lane. But I am slowly getting more convinced that the safest thing to do on these smaller roundabouts is to occupy both lanes on approach and roundabout.

If you can stay within your own lane but choose to block another lane then that is obstruction which can lead to a prosecution

I often had the same situation as you describe but it was always easy to ease off a little to let the determined over-taker pass without getting into any conflict - its all about anticipation and forward planning

Rog is spot on.

There is no hard and fast rule about this, maintaining normal progress means using the road sensibly, it would be daft to stick rigidly to your lane on a deserted road at 4.30am, the sensible driver straightens it out when safe to do so without inconveniencing others, both maintaining momentum and saving fuel.

However its little short of bullying, borderline using the vehicle as a weapon to ‘‘shut the door’’ (God i hate that expression, especially with a Brummy twang) on other faster more nimble traffic who will overtake you in awkward places, including forcing you to take the marked lanes on a roundabout when you wanted to straighten it, its part and parcel of living in a grossly overcrowded island, get used to it cos its going to get far worse.
Doing so is inviting a serious chat with a traffic officer.

The roads are too crowded most of the time for a lorry driver to ‘own’ it, a bit of give and take is needed, blocking the road is not defensive driving.

Some good points made here. Thanks.
I think the ‘take away’ for me is that I’m possibly a little bit too ready to split lanes. So I’ll tighten up there a bit.
As said above there are lots of factors in making the choice; and inevitably if I don’t know the area and I can’t be totally sure I would err on the side of caution for safety. And of course as experience is gained I’ll hopefully get it right more and more!
Cheers all.

Juddian:
The roads are too crowded most of the time for a lorry driver to ‘own’ it, a bit of give and take is needed, blocking the road is not defensive driving.

I didn’t once mention blocking a road and defensive driving. I said take a commanding position. Please don’t misread my post then alter my words to something I haven’t said.

Come to Milton Keynes, we’ve got roundabouts for every ones tastes !
A lot on the main grid roads are big enough to keep in your own lane, but as soon as you drive on a single carriageway the roundabouts open up into 2 (sometimes) tight lanes, designed for 2 cars, not 1 car & an Artic. At these tight roundabouts, I simply straddle the middle white lines on the approach & stop any ‘Potential Accidents’ before they have any chance to occur, I do the same in any city, just keep it moving & let them overtake on the straights, getting up to the speed limit (& not beyond) that way your not holding them up any more than necessary.

m1cks:

Juddian:

I didn’t once mention blocking a road and defensive driving. I said take a commanding position. Please don’t misread my post then alter my words to something I haven’t said.

And i didn’t mention or quote you.

I remember the roundabouts of Milton Keynes. Also, the A27 around ? Chichester came to mind, as I seem to recall an amazing collection of spare roundabouts, all spaced so you think each is the last. Been a long while since I’ve been down south, don’t suppose there is now an amazing motorway from Brighton to Plymouth?

Going left or right on roundabout I preffer to straddle the lines as I can not see my tailswing. Less stress and safe to go!
Some roundabouts have so tiny lanes that you can not even enter the roundabout without going towards centre isle.
Have seen enough smashed cars with the trailer so…I think that’s for everyones benefit to straddle the lanes. Might be one of 100 motorists will blast his horn and swear half way out of the window but at the end of the day you and other motorists are in safe!

Zanfta:
Going left or right on roundabout I preffer to straddle the lines as I can not see my tailswing. Less stress and safe to go!
Some roundabouts have so tiny lanes that you can not even enter the roundabout without going towards centre isle.
Have seen enough smashed cars with the trailer so…I think that’s for everyones benefit to straddle the lanes. Might be one of 100 motorists will blast his horn and swear half way out of the window but at the end of the day you and other motorists are in safe!

If you think that at some point during the hazard that part of your vehicle will impede others then take up the extra room needed on the approach

If you think it will not impede others at any point then stay in lane