Roundabout Question

I have e-mailed the chief examiner on this matter and attached the link to this thread.

wow, this roundabout sure seems to be confusing people.

I think what makes the r/about a problem is the layout. What I think it boils down to is the that the 4th exit is pretty much unused, I’ve trained round there and I’m sure that exit only goes to a very minor road and golf club. So the examiner is bound to class the 3rd exit as the right hand turn, ignore the 4th and the 5th exit is past a right turn almost heading back the way you came.

Without doubt I feel you need to use the right hand lane on entering the roundabout and employ the normal procedure to leave at the 3rd exit. I wouldn’t stay in the left lane with a right signal applied because this may confuse other road users in the right hand lane.

I can see why the examiner did previously let you off with staying in the left lane because it almost makes sense due to the type of traffic conditions you can expect at that roundabout. It shouldn’t happen but examiners do have different views on how to drive. To be honest you could argue for doing either method described at this roundabout but i feel it makes slightly more sense to treat it like a right turn, just watch for anybody up your near side.

I think sometimes the problem is because examiners want people to drive trucks like they are taught to drive a car, its a real shame but they just don’t have enough truck driving experience themselves. Imagine your driving a loaded truck up to this r/about, following what your taught to keep in the right lane, which means crossing over one lane - at which your slow truck isn’t fast at doing so you will cause other cars to slow, they then are looking to shoot up your inside to exit the roundabout just as you are looking to move over and hold them up some more, its barmy! Far better off to use the left lane in the real world but for test - who knows!!

I can see the reasons behind each way, but if you follow DSA rules its defo a right hander.

Is this correct - yellow arrows showing entry & exit roads with the white arrows showing the road markings and the left lane marked for the first 2 exit destinations only :question: :question:

My instructor thinks I was right. The examiner thinks I was wrong - he says I should of signalled right until I passed the 2nd exit!

The examiner is correct, you should indicate right for all exits after the first to inform those entering at one or two that you are remaining on the roundabout, then indicating left on passing exit 2.
You would indicate left if taking the first exit but never enter a roundabout without any signal at all.
Sorry if this duplicates what others have said but haven’t had time to read all your replies. :unamused: :laughing:

done this one showing a black & white line for the 12 O-Clock straight ahead

EDIT - same roundabout with pic from the site Rob K was viewing

Okay, I’ll answer this for certain right now as I know the facts and the road markings.

The left hand lane is marked for A67 (exit 1) and A167(N) (exit 2). The right hand lane is marked for A66 (exit 3) and A167(S) (exit 5 (exit 4 is a single track road leading to a golf club)). There are no arrows on the surface, only the road numbers.

So, you needed to be in the right hand lane for the A66, which is the road you were taking.

Source : bird’s eye view on maps.live.com

Case closed. Thank you and good night.

So, you needed to be in the right hand lane for the A66, which is the road you were taking.

We know that it is the right lane for exit 3 BUT the question is “should a right signal be given as the driver is following the ‘road ahead’ arrow for the 3rd exit which is at the 12 O-Clock position?”

I think the answer has already been given but Rog has put the direction of travel left to right where I believe the poster meant he was actually going in the opposite direction.

Approaching the roundabout I’m asked to take the 3rd exit. The roundabout’s first exit is a very sharp left, the second is at 10 o’clock, the 3rd is at 12 o’clock and the 4th is 3 o’clock.

Look at the first exit to the left of the artic

ROG:

We know that it is the right lane for exit 3 BUT the question is “should a right signal be given as the driver is following the ‘road ahead’ arrow for the 3rd exit which is at the 12 O-Clock position?”

:bulb: :bulb: COMMON SENSE ALERT :bulb: :bulb:

Look at the layout of it. It requires a right-hand signal, period. :unamused:

I’ve just looked at the view on maps live.com and cannot see ant arrows but there are desinations marked - trouble with all these type of sites is that it does done seem to say how old the view is.

We all agree that the approach is to be in the right lane.

Where we seem to differ is in regard to whether the destination road is physically a straight on or a right turn.

From where I’ve put the black & white line, it does seem to me that it is a straight on. If that is correct then a right turn signal would be giving false info.

To my way of thinking, a right signal would mean the destination was past the 12 O-clock exit to somewhere else.

I like debating this one :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

dieseldave and I would like to know the layout of the roundabout as per the road sign on the approach please :question: :question:
Was the exit in question marked on the above sign past the 12 O-Clock position :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

ROG:
dieseldave and I would like to know the layout of the roundabout as per the road sign on the approach please :question: :question:
Was the exit in question marked on the above sign past the 12 O-Clock position :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

I’ve just looked for you - it doesn’t allow you to zoom in enough to make it out.

Here is an interesting one and is often used to catch out the unwary on test. It is quite close to the test centre too so is difficult to avoid.
Sutton Fields. Hull

The instructors here teach you to command the road, obviously using the correct lanes, signals and mirrors

Wheel Nut:
Here is an interesting one and is often used to catch out the unwary on test. It is quite close to the test centre too so is difficult to avoid.
Sutton Fields. Hull

The instructors here teach you to command the road, obviously using the correct lanes, signals and mirrors

What is there to “catch out the unwary” on that? It’s a straight 4 exit roundabout. There’s nothing complicated about that whatsoever. :confused: :confused:

I had exactly the same problem on one of my c+e tests in peterborough, incidentally I drove through there today and realised where I was and got a bit of deja-voo (spelling) as I used the roundabout - I did it the same as I did on test and couldn’t see why it was wrong! I even went round twice and no other way I could think of would’ve made more sense than what I did.

they can be such miserable _______ these examiners, they’re soo petty :imp: they’ve left me feeling a bit “how on earth am I supposed to pass!?” after three failed attempts :frowning: (I’m sure this applies to you as well as me;) I can drive the damned things, and quite well considering how little time I’ve had behind the wheel. I just need the examiner to get laid (or not as the case might be) the night before my next attempt :laughing:

good idea using ariel views though, I might do some “swatting up” before I try again.

imo, leave it alone (you don’t want to be unpopular at the test centre) and best of luck next time.

Rob K:

Wheel Nut:
Sutton Fields. Hull

What is there to “catch out the unwary” on that? It’s a straight 4 exit roundabout. There’s nothing complicated about that whatsoever. :confused: :confused:

The road markings seem to catch out many according to the instructors and also the speed limits around it. Im sure anyone who has taken a test here in Hull recently will agree. I don’t remember where I was yesterday, never mind when I took my test.

In reply to mothertrucker, life isn’t always that simple, I wouldn’t say that the 3rd exit is always right on the sort of road where there is more than 4 exits including the one your approaching in.

I knowwhast you mean Tockwith and appreciate the reply and I know life is not always simple but roundabouts usually are. Note I say ‘usually’ because - as I stated earlier - there is always the odd exeption to the rule.

What really coplicates matters is this idea that has been put around about 12 o.clocks on roundabouts.
There is nothing in the Highway Code that mentions exits before or after 12 o.clocks
It is simply the same rules that have always stood.

I looked at the roundabout in question and to me it is idiot proof. There is one left, one straight ahead and two rights.
Either one of those rights (ie the third and fourth exits) would require you to approach in the right hand lane showing a right signal. Keep to the inside lane then check your mirrors and signal left when level with the exit before the one you are taking then leave the roundabout.

you should listen to the insruction and act according - if the instruction was at the roundabout turn right 3rd exit use a right signal on approach… If the instruction was follow the road ahead and take the 3rd exit there would be no signal on apprach - either way you would enter in the right lane and signal your exit after the 2nd turn. Different examiners give different instructions so listen and then act according.

Big D:
you should listen to the insruction and act according - if the instruction was at the roundabout turn right 3rd exit use a right signal on approach… If the instruction was follow the road ahead and take the 3rd exit there would be no signal on apprach - either way you would enter in the right lane and signal your exit after the 2nd turn. Differant examiners give differant instructions so listen and then act according.

John_from_Yarm:
Approaching the roundabout I’m asked to take the 3rd exit.

Seems like either ‘turn right’ or ‘road ahead’ was not stated.
I’m ASSUMING the examiner said “at the roundabout take the third exit” and if that ASSUMPTION is correct, then it would follow the beginning statement by the examiner which says something like ‘follow the road ahead unless told other’ -or would it :question: :question: :question:

Absolutely Rog - so the answer is simple no signal on approach and signal to leave - doesn’t matter about 12 o’clock or 2 o’cklock or any o’clock.