Rotterdam to flensburg

Hello all any advice would be great not been up to flensburg before
not used harwich - rotterdam before can you get tax on the boat
or when you come of booked on 8.00 tuesday am the job is to meet a
ship up there cheers . :wink:

IIRC you should be able to get the vignette at Harwich from the shipping line booking office.

cheers gb.

gb1:
IIRC you should be able to get the vignette at Harwich from the shipping line booking office.

What he said. Don’t forget to wear a hi-viz at Harwich, they won’t book you on if you aren’t wearing it.

unreal H.i hate the things aswell thanks for that. :wink:

I haven’t used it yet, but it seems the Vignette is in the 21st century

eurovignettes.eu/web20portal/

Wheel Nut:
I haven’t used it yet, but it seems the Vignette is in the 21st century

eurovignettes.eu/web20portal/

Forgot about that option Wheel Nut. I have used it and it seems to work.

Due to the length of the crossing, it is not possible to have your full daily rest on the boat.

So after booking in at Harwich, don’t forget to set the vehicle to “Ferry/Train” and your driver setting to “Rest” on your digitacho. With an analogue tacho, make an appropriate entry on the back of the card when you change it.

You are then allowed 2 movements to interrupt your break in order to embark and disembark the ferry.

Once off the ferry in The Hoek, you can park up in the dock to complete your break, which under these rules MUST be a minimum of 11 hours.

The ferry rules apply as you are provided with a cabin for the crossing.

THIS is a possible ROUTE There are lots of road works on the A1
so be aware that you may get stuck in a jam or two
also do not forget the maut, If carrying ADR you are not allowed
through the ELBE tunnel apart from the times allowed
also it is only for 4.00m and they have a automatic height control
so you get caught and pay the fine ,any more questions just ask away

Inselaffe:
Due to the length of the crossing, it is not possible to have your full daily rest on the boat.

So after booking in at Harwich, don’t forget to set the vehicle to “Ferry/Train” and your driver setting to “Rest” on your digitacho

That isn’t the point at which you select the Ferry/Train option. You select it just before you begin embarkation so it will mark the data and printout to show the reason the mode has changed from rest and you then must remember to select rest mode again once on board. If you are continuing your rest after leaving the ferry you would do the same thing just before disembarkation to again explain why the mode is switching from rest. Just selecting Ferry/Train when you park in the port prior to boarding will result in several infringements. You can also only use the interrupted rest if you have worked less than 13 hours in the shift, 12 - 12.5 hours realistically to allow times for the movements and still fit the required 11 hours into the 24-hour period.

The good news is, you usally get your own cabin and even better the food is FREE and very good :smiley:

Thanks lads that route pete looks bang on will be ok under the elbe
taking a cherry picker and a fork lift on 4.00 m covered trl regarding
tacho i will get to harwich monday night would be nice to book of
at the port cheers wheelnut done the tax in 2 mins on line works a treat :wink:

brit pete:
THIS is a possible ROUTE There are lots of road works on the A1
so be aware that you may get stuck in a jam or two
also do not forget the maut, If carrying ADR you are not allowed
through the ELBE tunnel apart from the times allowed
also it is only for 4.00m and they have a automatic height control
so you get caught and pay the fine ,any more questions just ask away

Hi Pete,

I feel that I should point out that the red part of your post might/could be a little misleading…
The part you mentioned about the times allowed is correct, and for clarity, those times are 05:00 - 23:00.

The part about “if carrying ADR you are not allowed” should read: If you are carrying sufficient dangerous goods in packages to require the vehicle to display orange plates, THEN you’re not allowed through the Elbtunnel between the times you stated.

I know that you’re an experienced tanker driver, so the way you wrote your post would be absolutely spot-on if it were just tankers that were being discussed.
However, when carrying packaged dangerous goods, whether the ADR Regs apply in full depends upon:
1.) The size of the package(s) AND the total amount loaded on the vehicle, because ADR DOESN’T apply in full straight away in the way that it does with tankers.
2.) The ADR Transport Category of the dangerous goods in question gives rise to certain exemptions.

Eg, 1 X 200 liter drum of petrol would be allowed through the Elbtunnel.

Part of what you wrote was a blanket statement, which if left uncorrected, IS misleading because there is a distinction.

:bulb: If you’d like the original relevant quote and reference from GGVSEB (in German,) you already know I’d be happy to oblige, so just post up your request. :smiley:

BTW Pete, IMHO the rest of your post is very good advice indeed. :smiley:

right IF THE VEHICLE IS MARKED up for ADR/HAZ and does not have the permit issued by the city hamburg
then you can,t go through until the late night 2300 to 0500hrs YOU have to go over the bridge, apart from that
I am not sure if they have got the new signs up as here in Dortmund they still use the old style one ,s

brit pete:
right IF THE VEHICLE IS MARKED up for ADR/HAZ and does not have the permit issued by the city hamburg
then you can,t go through until the late night 2300 to 0500hrs YOU have to go over the bridge, apart from that
I am not sure if they have got the new signs up as here in Dortmund they still use the old style one ,s

Hi Pete,

I didn’t know that they might not be using the new signs in Germany yet, so thanks for that info Pete. :smiley:

BTW, I haven’t seen the new signs here in the UK yet.

daleyboy:
The good news is, you usally get your own cabin and even better the food is FREE and very good :smiley:

Agree, the food on the Stena Transfer and Stena Partner is better than the food on any other crossing I’ve been on for years.

To Steve, there will probably be only a couple of dozen other drivers on the boat,no punters, there is a bar and a small duty-free shop, the cabins are clean and the crew are very friendly.

Bizarre thing about the Harwich boats is that the linkspan is always near horizontal, there is virtually no tide in the North Sea.

Thanks harry looking forward to it now nice to have a change from the
dover and poole boats ! I know this has been coverd before but i can not
get over how easy it was to get my tax on line people in goverment
saying it is to hard to set up who are they kidding :confused:

Coffeeholic:
That isn’t the point at which you select the Ferry/Train option. You select it just before you begin embarkation so it will mark the data and printout to show the reason the mode has changed from rest and you then must remember to select rest mode again once on board. If you are continuing your rest after leaving the ferry you would do the same thing just before disembarkation to again explain why the mode is switching from rest. Just selecting Ferry/Train when you park in the port prior to boarding will result in several infringements. You can also only use the interrupted rest if you have worked less than 13 hours in the shift, 12 - 12.5 hours realistically to allow times for the movements and still fit the required 11 hours into the 24-hour period.

Doh! Been doing it wrong, then :blush: :laughing:
Thanks for that, Neil. You learn something new every day :smiley:

Reading that just reminded me.
In Holland, at the tunnels, they’ve changed the signs concerning hazardous loads.
Where they used to have the haz’ plated vehicle barred sign, with a Pg I, II or III modification, they now have a C or D modification.
Are these the new signs you’re talking about ?
If so, are C and D a direct replacement for Pg I and II (or II and III).
If not, can you give me a brief explanation please ?

I first noticed the change a couple of months ago, roughly.
I’ve been meaning to ask, but kept forgetting :blush:

Simon:
Reading that just reminded me.
In Holland, at the tunnels, they’ve changed the signs concerning hazardous loads.
Where they used to have the haz’ plated vehicle barred sign, with a Pg I, II or III modification, they now have a C or D modification.
Are these the new signs you’re talking about ?
If so, are C and D a direct replacement for Pg I and II (or II and III).
If not, can you give me a brief explanation please ?

I first noticed the change a couple of months ago, roughly.
I’ve been meaning to ask, but kept forgetting :blush:

Hi Simon, I’m already on it mate. :wink:

For now, we can expect to see all tunnels on the Trans European Road Network (TERN) over 500m in length being equipped with new signage.
The letters for designating the tunnels will be A - E, where “A” = no restriction and “E” meaning very restricted as to which dangerous goods may be carried through the tunnels.

I’m working on a post about that, and whilst I develop it, I’m keeping it in the pantry for now. :smiley: