Rotherhithe Tunnel

Following the recent discussion about the Blackwall, I did something unusual today and actually looked at the restrictions on the Rotherhithe.

It’s just not do-able so I never even glance at the signs but the restrictions are as follows.

Width limit 7’6"

Length 33’

Height 14’9"

Weight 17t

Surely there cannot be much that’d get through the width restrictors to cause concern on the other dimensions. I’m sure there’s something though, any ideas? Mini artic perhaps?

Been through it many times in the car, it’s horrrible. Like the kind of thing someone would build a hundred years ago who didn’t predict articulated lorries. Although having said that, it is a marvellous piece of engineering for its age and the fact that it has lasted so long is a tribute to those who planned and built it.

Had it been anywhere else in Europe it would have been replaced with an eight-lane tunnel years ago, which might, on reflection, be better.

Just as you come out of the Rotherhithe tunnel on the North side at Limehouse,I and some of my colleagues did ALL the steelwork balconies on the flats at Limehouse basin…I was their for about 2/3 years…interesting fact eh :smiley: :sunglasses:

We used to go through Rotherhithe everyday in a transit van and we had to pull one of the mirrors in on that to ,get through the width restriction.

I think it was late 1800s or early 1900s that it was built without checking…so obviously it was a bit of a lack of foresight on the part of the architects/planners them not being able to predict the onslaught of overweight lorry drivers in articulated 44 tonne trucks. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I still feel sorry for the man who had to TILE it !!! :open_mouth: :smiley:

I worked for a sign company and we had to make a huge red banner to advertise those flats. The agent wanted it so it could be read from the DLR. I think it was visible from space :laughing:

Been through many a time with my Dad in an artic Cartransporter in the 60’s