Rotal Mail assessment drive tomorrow - what to expect?

I have a Royal Mail assessment drive tomorrow morning at the RM depot at Grays.

Apart from ‘driving like I did on my test’ (well, tho one I passed, anyway) and trying to enjoy it, can anyone offer any advice, please?

What should I expect?

Alan

A Big Red Lorry !

Sorry ! Couldn’t resist that one.

I’ve never had a RM assessment but they might give you a questionnaire on hours regs, walk round checks & Highway Code. Then do an assessment drive including putting the trailer on a bay & possibly dropping/hooking up a trailer.

Make sure you you do your walk round check, even if the assessor says he’s already done it. (It’s your responsibility not his, as you will be driving)

Hi Alan. It’s all common sense - and you’re not short of that. Pay attention to your trailer drop/pick up if you do one making especially sure of trailer brake on 1st and off last. Don’t rush the trailer drop. Safety first.

Reverse: as always, if you’re not sure, get out and check.

The drive should be progressive, legal and safe. Don’t crawl around. Don’t drive like a learner - you’re not one. Keep the bad habits out of the way so far as possible. A good assessor will see straight through a “performance” so don’t overdo it.

And let us know how it goes.

All the very best with it. I happen to know you were trained well so you will be fine!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

All the best mate

I also have an assessment lined up, not with RM but with RCL. Does anyone know what assessors usually think of steering technique?

DJC:
I also have an assessment lined up, not with RM but with RCL. Does anyone know what assessors usually think of steering technique?

RCL? I’d imagine any assessor is looking for a safe controlled drive. They’ll be aware you’ve picked up bad habits but the best thing you can do is be natural and not worry about it too much. If you start worrying you’ll overthink what your doing and make silly mistakes.
A decent assessor will have an idea of your ability within the first 1/2 mile.

Saw you on the A259 lancing last week DJC (or your truck)

m1cks:

DJC:

RCL? I’d imagine any assessor is looking for a safe controlled drive. They’ll be aware you’ve picked up bad habits but the best thing you can do is be natural and not worry about it too much. If you start worrying you’ll overthink what your doing and make silly mistakes.
A decent assessor will have an idea of your ability within the first 1/2 mile.

Saw you on the A259 lancing last week DJC (or your truck)

By RCL I mean Roadways containers. I have zero experience in an artic but I’ll confess to say I’ve adopted palming as a habit, although it’s what almost everyone else does, do assessors think the same way of it as the DSA? Is there any top tips for driving an artic vs. drawbar?

As for seeing me last week, it wasn’t me I’m afraid.

Rather than consider what assessors will or wont accept, I suggest that everyone puts their best efforts into driving correctly.

I was driving a demonstrator today and the sales guy was amazed that I drove “push pull”. But he also had to admit that it wasn’t a slow drive and that both the drive and I were perfectly relaxed. Why make life hard by driving badly?

Just a thought.

A spelling test :smiley: never worked for Rotal Mail … couldn’t resist it … good luck

C’mon Alan. How did it go?

Peter Smythe:
C’mon Alan. How did it go?

It went well, thank you, in so much that I now have a Royal Mail Driver’s ‘Passport’.

About 30 minutes of paperwork (form filling, accident report, defects report, etc), about an hour driving (during which time I was totally lost) and about 30 minutes health and safety stuff.

You know me and ‘test nerves’ though, so a pass was far from a foregone conclusion. :blush:

As you said, I was well trained.

Thanks

So, if I understand correctly, you’ve been offered a job? That brilliant. Congratulations Alan. Keep in touch.