Ross Atkins on driver shortages

Looks like a reasoned look at what has happened and why.

bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-58521211

Not one…

Mention of IR35 in the whole six and a half minutes.

No mention either, that the US and many other G7 countries can’t find drivers for love nor money.

yourhavingalarf:
Not one…

Mention of IR35 in the whole six and a half minutes.

No mention either, that the US and many other G7 countries can’t find drivers for love nor money.

og course there aint any mention of it because it would mean they cant blame brexit for it

I love it when people tell me that Brexit is the cause of the driver shortage. I point out that Southern Ireland is suffering massive shortages too and leave them to work it out. Invariably they can’t.

the maoster:
I love it when people tell me that Brexit is the cause of the driver shortage. I point out that Southern Ireland is suffering massive shortages too and leave them to work it out. Invariably they can’t.

It really messes up their arguments when you post facts :wink:

the maoster:

As the article pointed out, the greatest shortage in Europe is in Poland. Remoaners seem to get the idea that if only the eastern Europeans would come back, all would be solved. They won’t be, the days when a Pole could earn seven times more in the UK than Poland are long gone, the slight differential in wages post-IR35 doesn’t even cover the increased cost of accommodation in the UK so there’s no point any more. Although I’m no great fan of the Tories, the current administration do seem determined to leave market forces to address the shortage through pay increases.

Remoaners - The driver shortage is due to Brexit.

Also Remoaners - Driver wages aren’t going up because of Brexit.

They’re not going to mention IR35 or that would imply their precious immigrants weren’t contributing to the system only taking out.

Isn’t it about time we heard from actual industry bosses?

What is the thinking, (for example) of company policy right now at outfits like Supermarkets, Downtons, Maritime, and other hauliers with a national spread of depots? :question:

the maoster:

This isn’t quite accurate. The shortage is in Dublin only. In the west, there is a surplus of drivers. And no, they can’t all commute the 3hrs as, even if a 6hr round trip was feesable, most drivers in the west also own farms that need attention. (in my experience)

Winseer:
Isn’t it about time we heard from actual industry bosses?

What is the thinking, (for example) of company policy right now at outfits like Supermarkets, Downtons, Maritime, and other hauliers with a national spread of depots? :question:

Downtons pay the bare minimum needed to get bums on seats. T’was always thus, so they are struggling more than usual right now. Maritime - according to my sources at both Leeds and Wakefield - continue to suffer delusions of grandeur thinking that everyone wants to drive their "top of the range Scania"s (which are actually fleet spec R450s, limited to 52mph and have cameras pointing at your face) and are scratching their heads in complete puzzlement that drivers are leaving in droves to other companies, perhaps because…

1. nobody wants to have a camera recording their face all day
  2. nobody wants to have an 18yr old with an NVQ in logistics waving a microlise print-out under their nose, telling them they’re not driving right.
  3. nobody wants to drive a truck that doesn’t keep up with everything else

…unless they pay significantly more than the competition, which they don’t.

Notice how these articles NEVER ask the drivers their opinion.

Iandrummer81:

I’m a remainer and I put most of the blame on supermarkets rather than brexit and their relentless driving the price of everything down.

Gavv8:

Iandrummer81:

I’m a remainer and I put most of the blame on supermarkets rather than brexit and their relentless driving the price of everything down.

As a remainer then I assume you were happy with your wages whilst under the control of the EU, and you have now donated any significant wage increases this year to charity or to Brussels?..