ROPING & SHEETING

Bewick:

BIG AW:

Bewick:

royhebb:

Bewick:

nice fly sheet,they look brand new no rips or tears , wait till the shunters get hold of them lol,royheb

Now then ,now then “royhebb” I don’t know what capabilities the Shunters had that you came into contact with,but I can tell you that was never a problem we encountered at Bewick Transport ! Over the years we had Shunters at Milnthorpe (2 sites) Barrow,Garstang,Kendal,Flint,Disley,Rochdale,Radcliffe,Irlam,West Brom,Cullompton,Daventry,Dunstable and Gravesend and without exception they always turned out the finest Sheeting and roping of any trailers within the industry ! some of them loaded into the teens of trailers in a day but the last one would always be as tidy as the first ! Now where some of the drivers were concerned I can say that sheeting and roping was not their strongest suit,excellent drivers in every other respect but shall we say “lacking” somewhat in S&R dept.!!! However,the majority of our traffic was loaded by Shunters so any reloading done by the drivers was reduced to maybe 3 or 4 loads a week,sometimes less!! We did,of course,have many drivers who were just as proficient in the skill of R&S as our Shunters.We had very little damage to our sheets over the years we operated Flats,minor rips and tears and fair wear and tear but nothing more.Some of the sights I used to see of damage to sheets of other firms used to make me appreciate what a grand set of lads we employed at Bewick Transport.We had a foreman at Milnthorpe who looked after all the sheets and we did keep them in first class order,firstly via W.& J. Leech of Liverpool and later via Stuart Canvas,but as Tautliners crept into the fleet we more-or-less stopped buying new sheets as our stock of redundant tackle kept pace with the replacement of the worn out ones.Cheers Dennis.

Is there anything that Bewick Transport did that wasnt perfect■■?

Speaking personally Big AW I did a lot of things that wern’t perfect,but as for the operation, Bewicks had a great set of drivers and fitters and we gave the highest standards of service to our quality set of customers that was possible !You can slipe at me personally as much as you like,but I won’t accept slipes against the Bewick workforce or the standards of service we maintained.It would be very interesting to hear about your background/history AW ?I won’t hold my breath !! Cheers Bewick.

Dont get yourself in a flap old boy it just seems that every time somebody says anything about anything you quote how Berwick did it this way and that way but better i know about Berwick Trans ive not just come down with the last rain shower and my history and backround is besides the point ive been in road transport for nearly 30years and covered most things throughout the industy so drop the black dog man act i dont wont to start a ■■■ for tat reply insults with you ok respect for time in the job enough said…

Hi big aw yes i remember that day well,you could handle that car.I am still in transport having worked for many different companies since i left onward,i am currently working for a agency and i am assigned to GIST in carlisle working night,s. There was some good times down there do you know how any of the other regulars are getting on ?

royhebb:

Carlc:
When I drove for MAT one of the worse jobs was sheeting and roping a load on a stripped down tilt. The sheet was inveriably too big and trying to tuck it under itself was the devils own job. Also there were no rope hooks and you had to use the side board hinge brackets as hooks. No matter how hard you tried the load always looked a bloody mess. You could guarentee that it would be raining when you had to sheet up. We had some propper sheets as well but most of the flats we had were old tilts that had the superstructure removed. If there were hinges or hooks missing you soon mastered the art of doing a double dolly to bridge the gap. But I still think there is nothing looks smarter that a fairly square load sheeted properly and with the ropes spaced out and with the dolleys at the same height.
Cliff

hiya i remember mat transport were they from hull, your right though them old tilts were a nightmare, i bet you dont know who the first british company to do the continent was, or do you ,yep it was ackworth continental road services in 1951, google it if you dont believe me lol.

Hi mate
I think you will find that MAT in some form or another were in there in 1926.

BIG AW:

Bewick:

BIG AW:

Bewick:

royhebb:

Bewick:

nice fly sheet,they look brand new no rips or tears , wait till the shunters get hold of them lol,royheb

Now then ,now then “royhebb” I don’t know what capabilities the Shunters had that you came into contact with,but I can tell you that was never a problem we encountered at Bewick Transport ! Over the years we had Shunters at Milnthorpe (2 sites) Barrow,Garstang,Kendal,Flint,Disley,Rochdale,Radcliffe,Irlam,West Brom,Cullompton,Daventry,Dunstable and Gravesend and without exception they always turned out the finest Sheeting and roping of any trailers within the industry ! some of them loaded into the teens of trailers in a day but the last one would always be as tidy as the first ! Now where some of the drivers were concerned I can say that sheeting and roping was not their strongest suit,excellent drivers in every other respect but shall we say “lacking” somewhat in S&R dept.!!! However,the majority of our traffic was loaded by Shunters so any reloading done by the drivers was reduced to maybe 3 or 4 loads a week,sometimes less!! We did,of course,have many drivers who were just as proficient in the skill of R&S as our Shunters.We had very little damage to our sheets over the years we operated Flats,minor rips and tears and fair wear and tear but nothing more.Some of the sights I used to see of damage to sheets of other firms used to make me appreciate what a grand set of lads we employed at Bewick Transport.We had a foreman at Milnthorpe who looked after all the sheets and we did keep them in first class order,firstly via W.& J. Leech of Liverpool and later via Stuart Canvas,but as Tautliners crept into the fleet we more-or-less stopped buying new sheets as our stock of redundant tackle kept pace with the replacement of the worn out ones.Cheers Dennis.

Speaking personally Big AW I did a lot of things that wern’t perfect,but as for the operation, Bewicks had a great set of drivers and fitters and we gave the highest standards of service to our quality set of customers that was possible !You can slipe at me personally as much as you like,but I won’t accept slipes against the Bewick workforce or the standards of service we maintained.It would be very interesting to hear about your background/history AW ?I won’t hold my breath !! Cheers Bewick.

Dont get yourself in a flap old boy it just seems that every time somebody says anything about anything you quote how Berwick did it this way and that way but better i know about Berwick Trans ive not just come down with the last rain shower and my history and backround is besides the point ive been in road transport for nearly 30years and covered most things throughout the industy so drop the black dog man act i dont wont to start a ■■■ for tat reply insults with you ok respect for time in the job enough said…

Please accept my apologies Big AW,the firm I was involved with was BEWICK transport,and your clearly referring to BERWICK transport whom I believe must be a firm up at Berwick-on-Tweed on the Scottish border,sorry for the misunderstanding no offence meant or taken.Cheers Bewick.

Hey up Roy

We must be getting old when we can remember the ‘good old days’ You mentioned the good firms we worked for, how about Eric Attwoods with Hargreaves fertiliser nice low load, fly sheet would have coverd it easy but we only had big sheets for the bottle loads. Loading an loading was all hand ball and at farms on the day when guess what,the farmer had gone off for that day to market but he always left a message where to put the tillage.

Fancy Edinboro’ on Christmas Eve with Redferns cos nobody else wanted it, steady ride back even beating Santa back to Ackworth

Mind how you go

little ha ba:
Hi big aw yes i remember that day well,you could handle that car.I am still in transport having worked for many different companies since i left onward,i am currently working for a agency and i am assigned to GIST in carlisle working night,s. There was some good times down there do you know how any of the other regulars are getting on ?

Aye up les glad to hear your doing ok, since i finished tramping i dont bump into anybody now just pick up thigs as i hear them ,Mickey Mouse as been dead a long time he caught pneumonia and passed away that must have been early 90s Barry michall is still knocking about saw him about 6 years ago dont know about John Smith or Red mel Hudson. Me dad as been finised 3 years he is 68 now worked till he was 65 spends most of his time Fishing or botching about in the garage making stuff nobody really wants but you cant say no.

Bewick:

BIG AW:

Bewick:

BIG AW:

Bewick:

royhebb:

Bewick:

Please accept my apologies Big AW,the firm I was involved with was BEWICK transport,and your clearly referring to BERWICK transport whom I believe must be a firm up at Berwick-on-Tweed on the Scottish border,sorry for the misunderstanding no offence meant or taken.Cheers Bewick.

Sorry for the spelling i meant Bewick Transport

think these might jog your memory big aw

oh dear oh dear,when bewick see’s the onward pic’s every body better get down low,the naughty driver has roped over the fly :wink:

little ha ba:

I do mate we had to strip and tip two every morning before the day shift started at 6.30 those boys had a good job they only had to turn up and drive we used to fold the sheets and tie them down on the head board for em they were fueled up and ready to go for 7 bells and they still moaned about one thing or another.

GAZ70:
oh dear oh dear,when bewick see’s the onward pic’s every body better get down low,the naughty driver has roped over the fly :wink:

Its a good job hanging went out in the 1960s otherwise Bewick would have tryd to hang somebody with that rope unless it was a double dolly

little ha ba:

I bet les when you had A325 it was a bit under powered funny tho they were 325hp blown out 275 ■■■■■■■

yep andy its was a tortoise compared to my old girl.can remember chris kent leaving workington just behind me,never seen him again till i was tipped at ackworth,that thing could catch pigeon,s but alas it could not keep up that thing your old man had that was fast.

in regard to your post GAZ 70 the front was roped due the fact there was six pallet,s across the front eight foot so better to be safe than sorry.and big aw will maybe remember john smith,s mishap at penrith?

little ha ba:
yep andy its was a tortoise compared to my old girl.can remember chris kent leaving workington just behind me,never seen him again till i was tipped at ackworth,that thing could catch pigeon,s but alas it could not keep up that thing your old man had that was fast.

Yes mate 371 that was a flyer when i 1st past my class 1 i was the spare ■■■■ for a while no favours done there and me dad knocked one morn and i got the job one drop east kilbride my 1st time into bandit country it was a ■■■■ ball really up and down the A66 plus my dad was on the cab phone every 15 mins i thought i was king of the road in a nearly new motor being a green horn as well.
I did a bit ov hol cover before i got my own motor i ended up with Chris Kents old motor 297 it was the old c series but with the 14ltr 320 like 304 but the old 4 over 4 plus it had trashed from new so it was quick i thought i was king of the road at the time when it had the bubble roof and i could just about stand up in the passenger well to get dressed they wouldnt drive them now thy have to be 500hp space cabs now. My 1st nigjt out was in a old ERF b series when i was in bed if i was to stick my tongue out i would have licked the cab roof happy days.

hey andy i done a few nights out in 304 even went as far as merrydown cider at horam, once in the bunk you dare not move

A bit off topic here but i saw 1 of Newsholmes (i think) from Settle 2 days on the trot last week with a scania wagon and drag with a canopy over the top of the cab loaded to the hilt with straw ,it was a tall load and it was straight as a dye ,i would guess it had been hand balled too ,but could be wrong

little ha ba:
hey andy i done a few nights out in 304 even went as far as merrydown cider at horam, once in the bunk you dare not move

I bet you didnt with them half bunks they were never made for nights out mate to scared to roll over in case you got the gear stick right in to top gear gives a new meaning to the word splitter ooooooh

ramone:
A bit off topic here but i saw 1 of Newsholmes (i think) from Settle 2 days on the trot last week with a scania wagon and drag with a canopy over the top of the cab loaded to the hilt with straw ,it was a tall load and it was straight as a dye ,i would guess it had been hand balled too ,but could be wrong

“Newhouse’s” I think “ramone”,Bayrams from Newbald were/are the “Kings” of Hay and Straw haulage and what a grand set of lads they were as well !! Cheers Dennis.