ROPING & SHEETING

hi roy yes remember melvin and barry ,also mark alias mouse.they were a good crew.

little ha ba:
hi roy yes remember melvin and barry ,also mark alias mouse.they were a good crew.

Hiya mate ive gorra reet sweat on here,reading abart ropes n sheets i used to work for Myatts Cudworth did alot of work out of Redfearns , and the glass works at Cas and Donny yes them were the days when you loaded at redfearns when it was all handball on and off then the little climax fork lifts came on loaded down to London tip and up to Stewartby for aload of bricks hand ball on /off next day then start again the drivers today would cry for the mam, can you remember GED COOK. STEVE GALLAGER at Acworth Trans am knackerd now with ropes/sheets havin a pint of J Smiths keep up the good work.RAY :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Ray Leggy:

little ha ba:

Hiya mate ive gorra reet sweat on here,reading abart ropes n sheets i used to work for Myatts Cudworth did alot of work out of Redfearns , and the glass works at Cas and Donny yes them were the days when you loaded at redfearns when it was all handball on and off then the little climax fork lifts came on loaded down to London tip and up to Stewartby for aload of bricks hand ball on /off next day then start again the drivers today would cry for the mam, can you remember GED COOK. STEVE GALLAGER at Acworth Trans am knackerd now with ropes/sheets havin a pint of J Smiths keep up the good work.RAY :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

bloody ell you even write with a barnsley accent nip, lol.yes ged cook rings a bell, i remember myatts wernt their yard behind that pub or am i thinking of another firm,do you know roy bailly he worked at acworth only small but hard as nails,i first started carrying bottles for attwoods trans out of redferns, only ever drove tippers till then, when i went in for my first load of glass i thought it was windows what a first day that was straight in at the deep end,i soon learnt how to rope and sheet, that leyland beaver i had ,was fitted with rrally high chock rails, every thing was hard, royhebb

anybody out there remember mrs millars in abington scotland, what a great little spot for a night out, we didnt sleep in the cabs then,we had day cab buffalos, then we started putting up home made curtains bits of wood from door ledge to bonnet, then 3 old settee cushions, no room but we managed,then we got some crusaders with a walk thru cab oh boy what luxury that seemed lol, 8 pints then up at 0400hrs and off we went how the bloody hell did we get away with it,royhebb

royhebb:

Ray Leggy:

little ha ba:

bloody ell you even write with a barnsley accent nip, lol.yes ged cook rings a bell, i remember myatts wernt their yard behind that pub or am i thinking of another firm,do you know roy bailly he worked at acworth only small but hard as nails,i first started carrying bottles for attwoods trans out of redferns, only ever drove tippers till then, when i went in for my first load of glass i thought it was windows what a first day that was straight in at the deep end,i soon learnt how to rope and sheet, that leyland beaver i had ,was fitted with rrally high chock rails, every thing was hard, royhebb

Sorry owd pal i forgorra Roy he is agood lad the last time i saw Roy was at Ackworth,s yard we moved in there when Conner freight (IRISH) firm took over Roy was doing a bit exporting .i had some bloody good mates all round Cudwoth& Barnsley and a few more places i enjoyed my days on the road bloody hard work didnt do me any harm im glad to say,i finished my working life at ASDA washington (covalescence) was there 7 years retired 2005 love this site thanose im reet chuffed i joined stay lucky owd mate .RAY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

nice fly sheet,they look brand new no rips or tears , wait till the shunters get hold of them lol,royheb

Ray Leggy:

royhebb:

Ray Leggy:

little ha ba:

Sorry owd pal i forgorra Roy he is agood lad the last time i saw Roy was at Ackworth,s yard we moved in there when Conner freight (IRISH) firm took over Roy was doing a bit exporting .i had some bloody good mates all round Cudwoth& Barnsley and a few more places i enjoyed my days on the road bloody hard work didnt do me any harm im glad to say,i finished my working life at ASDA washington (covalescence) was there 7 years retired 2005 love this site thanose im reet chuffed i joined stay lucky owd mate .RAY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

yes your right he teamed up with one of the storys & did a bit of allsorts still does i heard, a few months ago i got his mobile and rang him to see if he could get me a 40 foot container for a football team changing rooms etc, so hes still plodding on , :royhebb :wink:

Bewick:

Excellent job there dennis as per normal.
regards dave.

dafdave:

Bewick:

Excellent job there dennis as per normal.
regards dave.

Thanks for that Dave,all my own work,just before I set off South,we were only running about 7 or 8 motors at that time.Cheers Dennis.

royhebb:

Bewick:

nice fly sheet,they look brand new no rips or tears , wait till the shunters get hold of them lol,royheb

Now then ,now then “royhebb” I don’t know what capabilities the Shunters had that you came into contact with,but I can tell you that was never a problem we encountered at Bewick Transport ! Over the years we had Shunters at Milnthorpe (2 sites) Barrow,Garstang,Kendal,Flint,Disley,Rochdale,Radcliffe,Irlam,West Brom,Cullompton,Daventry,Dunstable and Gravesend and without exception they always turned out the finest Sheeting and roping of any trailers within the industry ! some of them loaded into the teens of trailers in a day but the last one would always be as tidy as the first ! Now where some of the drivers were concerned I can say that sheeting and roping was not their strongest suit,excellent drivers in every other respect but shall we say “lacking” somewhat in S&R dept.!!! However,the majority of our traffic was loaded by Shunters so any reloading done by the drivers was reduced to maybe 3 or 4 loads a week,sometimes less!! We did,of course,have many drivers who were just as proficient in the skill of R&S as our Shunters.We had very little damage to our sheets over the years we operated Flats,minor rips and tears and fair wear and tear but nothing more.Some of the sights I used to see of damage to sheets of other firms used to make me appreciate what a grand set of lads we employed at Bewick Transport.We had a foreman at Milnthorpe who looked after all the sheets and we did keep them in first class order,firstly via W.& J. Leech of Liverpool and later via Stuart Canvas,but as Tautliners crept into the fleet we more-or-less stopped buying new sheets as our stock of redundant tackle kept pace with the replacement of the worn out ones.Cheers Dennis.

little ha ba:
was past there about five year ago,and what a difference.I used sometimes come across the berwick trunk on a saturday morning,as i left workington about one in the morning and would get to ackworth about half four and would have the sheet,s off and sitting in front off the cate waiting for dougie to come in.I can remember a white seddon atkinson on that run and would pass it on my way down.I had one of the three E14-320 day cabbed six wheeler,s its fleet number was 304 will try and put some pic,s up off it

Now then Les bet you dont remember me do you have you still got that 70s ■■■■ tash ■■?

Bewick:

royhebb:

Bewick:

Now then ,now then “royhebb” I don’t know what capabilities the Shunters had that you came into contact with,but I can tell you that was never a problem we encountered at Bewick Transport ! Over the years we had Shunters at Milnthorpe (2 sites) Barrow,Garstang,Kendal,Flint,Disley,Rochdale,Radcliffe,Irlam,West Brom,Cullompton,Daventry,Dunstable and Gravesend and without exception they always turned out the finest Sheeting and roping of any trailers within the industry ! some of them loaded into the teens of trailers in a day but the last one would always be as tidy as the first ! Now where some of the drivers were concerned I can say that sheeting and roping was not their strongest suit,excellent drivers in every other respect but shall we say “lacking” somewhat in S&R dept.!!! However,the majority of our traffic was loaded by Shunters so any reloading done by the drivers was reduced to maybe 3 or 4 loads a week,sometimes less!! We did,of course,have many drivers who were just as proficient in the skill of R&S as our Shunters.We had very little damage to our sheets over the years we operated Flats,minor rips and tears and fair wear and tear but nothing more.Some of the sights I used to see of damage to sheets of other firms used to make me appreciate what a grand set of lads we employed at Bewick Transport.We had a foreman at Milnthorpe who looked after all the sheets and we did keep them in first class order,firstly via W.& J. Leech of Liverpool and later via Stuart Canvas,but as Tautliners crept into the fleet we more-or-less stopped buying new sheets as our stock of redundant tackle kept pace with the replacement of the worn out ones.Cheers Dennis.

oops sorry only joking,but your right about some of our so called shunters but that was mainly in thames board in purfleet, and crystal drinks featherstone, to be fair to them all our sheets were bottle sheets 28x28 feet, then the massive over bottle over sheet, horrible in the wind & rain,it got that bad once, i used to carry a little piece of cardboard in the sleeper window which read ( the driver of this vehicle did not r&s this load ) those were the days,roy

Bewick:

royhebb:

Bewick:

Is there anything that Bewick Transport did that wasnt perfect■■?

Hi big aw yes i still have the tash and its grey.but you got me as to your id

little ha ba:
Hi big aw yes i still have the tash and its grey.but you got me as to your id

Its Andy i was the yard shunter at ack on the Thames Board job last i heard of you was you had a bit off a bump on the A66.
Can you remember fetching a remote control car down and we burned some rubber under the canopy???Long time ago mate are you still in transport i went driving at ack then went back yard shunting again till they packed up did a few years at simpsons they had some wagons at ack i work for a firm at castleford now been there last 14 years iam the foreman at there knottingley depot.

BIG AW:

Bewick:

royhebb:

Bewick:

Is there anything that Bewick Transport did that wasnt perfect■■?

Speaking personally Big AW I did a lot of things that wern’t perfect,but as for the operation, Bewicks had a great set of drivers and fitters and we gave the highest standards of service to our quality set of customers that was possible !You can slipe at me personally as much as you like,but I won’t accept slipes against the Bewick workforce or the standards of service we maintained.It would be very interesting to hear about your background/history AW ?I won’t hold my breath !! Cheers Bewick.

Well said Dennis, Those photos of the old Atkis a great & also proves the class of drivers that you employed, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well said Dennis, Those photos of the old Atkis a great & also proves the class of drivers that you employed, Regards Larry.

Hiya Larry,thanks for that mate,some of the “empty vessels” that spout on here haven’t a clue of how a decent operation ran,and by the intelligence of some of the comments,we wouldn’t have given them a job pushing a barra’ around the yard to fill the pot holes in !! PS Me and Rotweiller did that job,he drove the JCB and I was on the RB1 !! Cheers Dennis.