roping and sheeting

Buzzer

Bewick:

Come on Dennis, those are tiny and not even round. Which scrap yard/dock did you lift those from? I bet they paid an amazing rate.

Buzzer

acd1202:

Bewick:

Come on Dennis, those are tiny and not even round. Which scrap yard/dock did you lift those from? I bet they paid an amazing rate.

I will have to defer to your superior knowledge of steel haulage and rates “acd1202” but all I can recall was the the Atky was parked next to the old rugby ground in Kendal and was bound for Stelrad at Dalbeatie and they would probably have been loaded at Erith. The two “eye to the sky” coils I have no recollection of from where they came from or where the may have been going. As for your comments about rates I can tell you that we only ever got involved with low rated jobs if it suited our operation and filled in a gap ! Cheers Dennis.

Buzzer

Bewick:

acd1202:

Bewick:

I will have to defer to your superior knowledge of steel haulage and rates “acd1202” but all I can recall was the the Atky was parked next to the old rugby ground in Kendal and was bound for Stelrad at Dalbeatie and they would probably have been loaded at Erith. The two “eye to the sky” coils I have no recollection of from where they came from or where the may have been going. As for your comments about rates I can tell you that we only ever got involved with low rated jobs if it suited our operation and filled in a gap ! Cheers Dennis.

Stelrad Dalbeattie, that’s a blast from the past. Unusual for them to take tidlers like that, normally, 12-15 tonne coils prime quality, cold rolled and oiled, but it’s amazing how much flexibility to a specification a good deal can bring.

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Kenny’s were a major player in brick haulage ex London Brick Peterborough.

David

Buzzer:
Buzzer

When I was on the octopus and trailer at Bradys we used to be regulars at Walfords cafe in Llansamlet and there usually two Caledonian Carnation liveried 2 pedal Beavers at the digs as well and I still recall the two Drivers one was called “Baldie” Keenan but the other driver’s name I can’t remember. Well their two beavers were “D” reg as I recall so the shot of the two new “G” reg were probably the replacement units but I hazard a guess that these two units wern’t 2 pedal as they were not very popular I understand. Other Hauliers who also had Carnation traffic and liveried units were Browns of Lochmaben, Robsons of Carlisle and Inter City Transport ( Leigh depot) After Nestles bought out Carnation Foods in 1985 for £ 3 Billion I got to know the late Len Pavey who had been the Carnation Distribution Manager and he was in charge transport out of the Dumfries factory and he dealt with all the Hauliers. Nestles closed the Carnation head office at Marlow making over three hundred Carnation employees redundant with only five being transferred to St. Georges House in Croydon and luckily for me as it turned out Len Pavey was one of those transferred. What a great chap Len was to deal with I only wished I had come across him when he was at Carnation and in charge of the distribution. :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

That’s a fine old G88 with its Trilex wheels and bull-bar. Looks like an early one too: chrome grille, top-mounted wipers et al.

ERF-NGC-European:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

That’s a fine old G88 with its Trilex wheels and bull-bar. Looks like an early one too: chrome grille, top-mounted wipers et al.

The single drive and wide spread bogie dated it as an early for me.

Bewick:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

When I was on the octopus and trailer at Bradys we used to be regulars at Walfords cafe in Llansamlet and there usually two Caledonian Carnation liveried 2 pedal Beavers at the digs as well and I still recall the two Drivers one was called “Baldie” Keenan but the other driver’s name I can’t remember. Well their two beavers were “D” reg as I recall so the shot of the two new “G” reg were probably the replacement units but I hazard a guess that these two units wern’t 2 pedal as they were not very popular I understand. Other Hauliers who also had Carnation traffic and liveried units were Browns of Lochmaben, Robsons of Carlisle and Inter City Transport ( Leigh depot) After Nestles bought out Carnation Foods in 1985 for £ 3 Billion I got to know the late Len Pavey who had been the Carnation Distribution Manager and he was in charge transport out of the Dumfries factory and he dealt with all the Hauliers. Nestles closed the Carnation head office at Marlow making over three hundred Carnation employees redundant with only five being transferred to St. Georges House in Croydon and luckily for me as it turned out Len Pavey was one of those transferred. What a great chap Len was to deal with I only wished I had come across him when he was at Carnation and in charge of the distribution. :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Little story about Nestle. In the 1980’s their dry goods distribution was carried out in Scotland by Scottish Road Services and from memory the contract was worth around £5m a year. In the late 80’s 3 of their directors/senior managers were discovered to be having luxurious golfing holidays up in Scotland. These holidays were organised and paid for by someone at Scottish Road Services who would later arrange for false invoices to be issued to Nestle to recoup the costs. Nestle discovered what had been happening and I believe that the 3 persons concerned were dismissed/removed from their positions and a short time after the contract was transferred/won (sic) by Geest Distribution.

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

I also spot the centrally positioned sun visor support,not noticed one on previous visored 88’s.

David

5thwheel:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

I also spot the centrally positioned sun visor support,not noticed one on previous visored 88’s.

David

Is it also supporting the screen guard too? Made me laugh at first when I was there, I was taught when approaching oncoming vehicles to place all 4 fingers and thumb spread out on the screen, the theory being that it is vibration which breaks it and a hand spread stops that.

Do you still do that in Oz, those of you there? And do you think it works, or is it an old truckie’s tale? :smiley:

Credit to Paul Evans for the 2013 photo.
Oily

From the Ronnie Cameron collection a guess at what’s under the sheet…Ford Trader :bulb: .
Oily

Credit to Steve Butler for this photo on the M50 nr Redmarley.
Oily

oiltreader:
From the Ronnie Cameron collection a guess at what’s under the sheet…Ford Trader :bulb: .
Oily

A bucket loader!

David