roping and sheeting

…and an old Albion you shall see!

5thwheel:

I wonder what year that shot was from ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

It’s a bit ropey Dennis,early to mid 50’s at a guess,written up as Alexander Scott Glasgow,J & A bought them out as they had quite a large warehouse compliment in the Glasgow area.

David

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Well Dennis its a 1949 London Reg, If thats anything to go on, Regards Larry.

5thwheel:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

It’s a bit ropey Dennis,early to late 50’s at a guess,written up as Alexander Scott Glasgow,J & A bought them out as they had quite a large warehouse compliment in the Glasgow area. IIRC Their depot was on London Road, They stored a lot of Kennomeat Dog Food there, Regards Larry.

David

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Hiya Larry, thanks for the info ! I suppose after the War Hauliers had to buy motors from wherever they could but it sure looks like it was a motor that “H” would have been delighted to drive looking at the state of it !! it has never been near a wash bay in it’s life ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Hiya Larry, thanks for the info ! I suppose after the War Hauliers had to buy motors from wherever they could but it sure looks like it was a motor that “H” would have been delighted to drive looking at the state of it !! it has never been near a wash bay in it’s life ! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
Dennis, that’s not strictly true I once when I had an ERF tractor unit at home over
the weekend and payed a group of "Bob a job boy scouts the princely sum of five
bob to wash the old girl, well I had to I could no longer see out the glass, Oh’ and
rain wasn’t forecast but I did put the cleaning fee on my ex’s as phone calls. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

5thwheel:
Nice easy load, (nmp)

Yes, very neat David, but in all the years I watched Smiths of Maddiston up and down the A 74 and elsewhere I never remember seeing an 8 legger, hence that looks like a very strange beast to me. :smiley:

FB_IMG_1583155503477.jpg
Looks spot on to me, but what do I know ?

Spardo:

5thwheel:
Nice easy load, (nmp)

Yes, very neat David, but in all the years I watched Smiths of Maddiston up and down the A 74 and elsewhere I never remember seeing an 8 legger, hence that looks like a very strange beast to me. :smiley:

I think SoM had around 6 or thereabouts David at the time that picture was taken,as Dennis has said,looks a rugged can do motor,some other 8 leggers appear to lack this forthrightness.

David

coomsey:

That does look spot on but it does look like tailor made sheets for a regular load.
Henry Long from Bradford, bales of wool by the look of it.

Once you started hauling regular high loads with the same dimensions it made sense to have “made to measure” sheets for the job which is what we had at Bewick Transport for 3 or 4 loads a day we used to run out of Bowater Scott’s Barrow Mill to their DC at West Thurock.

Suedehead:

coomsey:

That does look spot on but it does look like tailor made sheets for a regular load.
Henry Long from Bradford, bales of wool by the look of it.

Utilizing bottle sheets too,so might be bottles?

David

This is a load of wool, carried hundreds of them, don’t think the load on coomseys photo is wool, certainly not bales, maybe cartons, even if they were press packs they wouldn’t be that square or that high much heavier bales, and no ropes is a giveaway only a cross on the trailer front and back, unless it was only going round the corner, 5thwheel’s theory of bottles, don’t think so never carried bottles without corner boards, Ramone might know what the load is his dad worked there. Les.

Here’s a load of wool in cartons. Les.

les-p:
This is a load of wool, carried hundreds of them, don’t think the load on coomseys photo is wool, certainly not bales, maybe cartons, even if they were press packs they wouldn’t be that square or that high much heavier bales, and no ropes is a giveaway only a cross on the trailer front and back, unless it was only going round the corner, 5thwheel’s theory of bottles, don’t think so never carried bottles without corner boards, Ramone might know what the load is his dad worked there. Les.

I carried lots of full loads of bottles from United Glass without any corner boards,bottle sheets were far superior at keeping the load stabilized.

David

5thwheel:

les-p:

I carried lots of full loads of bottles from United Glass without any corner boards,bottle sheets were far superior at keeping the load stabilized.

David

We did quite a bit out of Rockware and used wool sheets, perfect fit and very stable but the ropes cut into the packaging on the top deck without boards. Les.

les-p:

5thwheel:

les-p:

David

We did quite a bit out of Rockware and used wool sheets, perfect fit and very stable but the ropes cut into the packaging on the top deck without boards. Les.

Which is precisely why bottle sheets were the better job for bottles?

David

Spardo:

5thwheel:
Nice easy load, (nmp)

Here is another one David,apologies for the poor picture resolution (nmp).

B580D8ED-9954-4B22-9318-77002EBD4E51.jpeg