roping and sheeting

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Er’ I always wore gloves to do every job associated with road haulage,
except the driving bit, Why you may ask “or not even bother to ask” I
got knocked back by a gorgeous young lady because of the horrible
condition of my hands, I was single in those days, and I won’t need to
spell out where it was my intention to place my hands. Nuff said.

Well “H” I reckon you still had your gloves on when you “handling in the area” with that young Lady :unamused: :wink: But then again some of those Old Broilers that used to frequent The Brown Bear you would defo need gloves on didn’t you ? Cheers Dennis.

kmills:

coomsey:
:roll: 0
I for one have nothing to say !

Believe it or not - this company is still around!, originally called ‘Hi Speed’ Transport - they are now just plain old ‘Hi-Trans’, based here in Adelaide.
There are still loads of wool coming out of Adelaide too, fortunately I’ve only loaded wool in a curtainsider myself - and, even with a strap over each bale, you end up with lumps bulging out of the curtains in a very short time. I always though that strapping / roping wool is a bit like squeezing a balloon - as you squeeze one side, the same amount bulges out the other side.
Respect to the old Bradford wool men…

Curtainsider Ha Ha easy, and less of the old, :wink: Les.

Bewick:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Well “H” I reckon you still had your gloves on when you “handling in the area” with that young Lady :unamused: :wink: But then again some of those Old Broilers that used to frequent The Brown Bear you would defo need gloves on didn’t you ? Cheers Dennis.

Aye Dennis, The Brown Bear brings back a few mems, There was allways loads of cab traffic knocking about in those good old days, But I allways thought that my MK 5 AEC 8 Wheeler looked nicer than them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , I recall one of these ladies of easy virtue being called Spoty Mulldoon, She had more spots than a Dimpled Ricardo Pudding, AKA As spotted ■■■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . Regards Larry.

ramone:

DIG:

Star down under.:

coomsey:

Interesting picture, it looks like a West Australian configuration. Any more info, please?

I agree STU the wool carriers here in West Aus carried a tool box full of H pattern spikes as a bale was loaded it was spiked to the next bale so the whole load was attached to one another ,i only carried one road train load and borrowed some spikes off a mate and they worked well one strap per bale and off you went,lots of gravel sandy roads in the sheep country so not all plain sailing like the highways of the UK.

Cheers Dig

There was a similar system here where they pinned the bales ,Les would be able to go into more detail

Not much more detail they were just a piece of round steel bar with a point on either end and bent over, just stick em in the bales, best thing was a fly sheet on the second tier, two more tiers on top rope and sheet, safe as houses, probably not allowed in the book too many sheets holding the load safe. :wink: Les.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Aye Dennis, The Brown Bear brings back a few mems, There was allways loads of cab traffic knocking about in those good old days, But I allways thought that my MK 5 AEC 8 Wheeler looked nicer than them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , I recall one of these ladies of easy virtue being called Spoty Mulldoon, She had more spots than a Dimpled Ricardo Pudding, AKA As spotted ■■■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . Regards Larry.

What does your book say about that, CF? :open_mouth:

Spardo:

gazsa401:
I pick up this 20yd bin every 4 weeks it’s all off cuts of new Formica and similar types of materials
If I don’t sheet and rope it whilst it’s on the deck the majority of it would slide off and fall off when I pick it up
I just wondered what advice Mr CF would give me in the art of load restraint in doing it another way
The elastic bungee on the sheet is only there for keeping it in place and not for load restraint

Very dificult to do decent hitches that low down I would have thought, do you go round and redo them when you have it on board ?

It’s not too bad I’m still quite fit [emoji12]and agile I do get them tight as the consequences are half the load slides off the back if you don’t
9 times out of 10 they don’t need redoing but the odd one might do [emoji1303]

kmills:

coomsey:

Believe it or not - this company is still around!, originally called ‘Hi Speed’ Transport - they are now just plain old ‘Hi-Trans’, based here in Adelaide.
There are still loads of wool coming out of Adelaide too, fortunately I’ve only loaded wool in a curtainsider myself - and, even with a strap over each bale, you end up with lumps bulging out of the curtains in a very short time. I always though that strapping / roping wool is a bit like squeezing a balloon - as you squeeze one side, the same amount bulges out the other side.
Respect to the old Bradford wool men…

Thanks for that, Hispeed had to change their name when the name became non-pc.

Bewick:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Hiya,
Dennis I feel you know me better than I know myself, but try and pull
in the Brown Bear !!! what was that German bird called ?.

harry_gill:

Bewick:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Hiya,
Dennis I feel you know me better than I know myself, but try and pull
in the Brown Bear !!! what was that German bird called ?.

Was it Gerda or Angela ? one of them had run a concentration camp I believe, you know which one she wore them thigh high jack boots and carried a whip ! Cheers Dennis

This is just wrong, firstly sheeted and strapped between the pallets would be better, or even easier, stack the rolls of turf properly so that the top rolls were turned 90° so the strap held the whole pallet and not just the roll with a strap over it. Common sense is absent here.

newmercman:
This is just wrong, firstly sheeted and strapped between the pallets would be better, or even easier, stack the rolls of turf properly so that the top rolls were turned 90° so the strap held the whole pallet and not just the roll with a strap over it. Common sense is absent here.

Perhaps our friend loaded it. Les.

newmercman:

Sheets dont hold loads the straps do in his rule book . But doesn’t the shrink wrap give him a clue that if it is all held together tightly it acts as a restraint then rope over the top to keep the sheet tight .
The pallets definitely need turning at the very least

A shot of one our Atkis loaded with 20 ton( probably heavier !) of sea washed turf cut from the upper tidal reaches of Morecambe bay and one of many loads we shipped to the South east over the years for recovering bowling greens. The turf was cut in squares and stacked on pallets.

Bewick:
A shot of one our Atkis loaded with 20 ton( probably heavier !) of sea washed turf cut from the upper tidal reaches of Morecambe bay and one of many loads we shipped to the South east over the years for recovering bowling greens. The turf was cut in squares and stacked on pallets.

Dennis did you ever run any Gardner powered Borderers ?
Thanks Gary

gazsa401:

Bewick:

Dennis did you ever run any Gardner powered Borderers ?
Thanks Gary

Just one Gaz which was an L reg 8LXB Borderer on our McGuffie Transport fleet which mainly operated between W. ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ and south Lancs/Cheshire/N. Wales. All our other Borderers were 205/220 ■■■■■■■ engine. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

You were a lucky man Dennis, with so few ropes your lad was lucky not to have lost such an unsecured load :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You would have to turn the lorry upside down to move that load , turf sticks together like crap to a blanket . If you ever had the dubious pleasure of hand balling that stuff you would soon find that out .

Seen today somewhere :blush:

Not sure who the driver was :wink:

Were you in Fairfield Industrial estate on Tuesday Dan ? I heard a ■■■■■■■ M11 coming up the hill ,sounded as sweet as a nut .