roping and sheeting

Hi Harry, loading out of Dundee quite a lot eh, did you ken Oor Wullie and Desperate Dan with his coo pies sometimes seen sitting on the low wall overlooking the Tay on Riverside Drive. ?

Cheers, Leyland 600

Lawrence Dunbar:

rigsby:
When I first started about 1964 we were loading hydrated lime straight off the bagging plant , full of air which of course sank as the air was pressed out of the bags . It was the Scots lads who backloaded from ICI who taught me the scotch cross to get the bags down tighter , Smiths of Whiteinch always in a hurry to get up to Preston for the night . Dave

Hi Riggers, Smiths of Whiteinch, That brings back a few mems, I used to back load off them in the 50/60s Era When in Glasgow, In fact in later years a pal of mine who lived in Newcastle had a job with them on a changeover system to do with some Army container movement, Which was Tacho Exempt at this time He told me he could run over his driving time with no questions asked, The good old bad days Eh :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

North bound on the M6 near J 36 about '78 our Atki Wrecker suspending a fully freighted Smiths of Whiteinch F88 to Tait Volvo Carlisle.

An ex BRS Stoke driver aquaitence of mine reckoned tyres from Michelin were a pain because they kept settling every few miles and needed frequent readjustment of the ropes.

Pete.

A Scotch cross, though I have heard it called a Dundee cross sometimes, was the term I always used, but it wasn’t an essential part of the finished job. I relied on the final cross and one across the bottom for that (both of which were essential), but the Cross was the final belt and braces if you had any rope left over. :slight_smile:

Plasterboard, or chipboard were very bad, but steel re-inforcing was really a nightmare. I used to load out of BRC at Stafford, I think it was, for Econofreight and I got the blokes there to give me some S hooks. Then I tightened those down with double hitches rather than go right over the top, but to keep the load level it was best to tighten each side bit by bit.

Leyland600:
Hi Harry, loading out of Dundee quite a lot eh, did you ken Oor Wullie and Desperate Dan with his coo pies sometimes seen sitting on the low wall overlooking the Tay on Riverside Drive. ?

Cheers, Leyland 600

Hiya,
Yes “Leyland 600” the Thompsons magazine people I actually “digged” with
one of their drivers who lived at Lochee, he swore that Thompsons were
the best payers in Britain by far his wage packet which he did show me
was about three times as fat as mine.
thanks harry, long retired.

image.jpegnet straps n bungees ,ooh and a rope :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
0net straps n bungees ,ooh and a rope :laughing:

Just for the record you understand Dan’l but who put the hitches in the rope for you ? :blush: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Anon 1.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Just for the record you understand Dan’l but who put the hitches in the rope for you ? :blush: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Anon 1.

Rof dcpc worth every penny :wink:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
net straps n bungees ,ooh and a rope :laughing:

Well is still on after going up and over 45 degrees !

image.jpeg

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Your appreciation of my services is duly noted, Dan. You may now deduct 10% from your outstanding account.
P.S. Don’t tell any hauliers from ■■■■■■■ about the 10% discount. :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Your appreciation of my services is duly noted, Dan. You may now deduct 10% from your outstanding account.
P.S. Don’t tell any hauliers from ■■■■■■■ about the 10% discount. :wink:

I bet Dan’l doesn’t know that you gave me a 25% bulk discount for delivering a coach load of clients for your " Gold Standard" R & S course, Dan’l only attended a morning course on using “Bungees” and that started late 'cause the Instructor turned up late with a hangover ! So hows about giving Dan’l his tenner back ! :blush: :unamused: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Knowing that young Dan will probably read this load of drivel I shall grudgingly refund him the full cost of his course which, as he says in his previous post, was, “Worth every penny”.
It’s hard enough trying to subsidize my meagre pension in these poor economic times (for which the blame must lie with those captains of industry who voted the ba**ards into power) without you doing your best to scupper what used to be a very lucrative sideline. Should you persist in persecuting me in this way I shall have no choice but to inaugurate the Punchard & ■■■■ tour of ■■■■■■■■ barns which, in my humble opinion, should lead to the discovery of a vast amount of Gardner, ■■■■■■■ and Commer engines. Then watch the sh*t hit the fan.
Lots of love,
your good friend, ROF

Retired Old ■■■■:
Knowing that young Dan will probably read this load of drivel I shall grudgingly refund him the full cost of his course which, as he says in his previous post, was, “Worth every penny”.
It’s hard enough trying to subsidize my meagre pension in these poor economic times (for which the blame must lie with those captains of industry who voted the ba**ards into power) without you doing your best to scupper what used to be a very lucrative sideline. Should you persist in persecuting me in this way I shall have no choice but to inaugurate the Punchard & ■■■■ tour of ■■■■■■■■ barns which, in my humble opinion, should lead to the discovery of a vast amount of Gardner, ■■■■■■■ and Commer engines. Then watch the sh*t hit the fan.
Lots of love,
your good friend, ROF

Ey Rof you could put another dodgy advert in the classic comic :laughing:

Whoever sheeted this trailer didn’t go to “The Bewick School Of Roping & Sheeting” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Ray Smyth.

image.jpegthe yellow is a trailer from an aluminium smelter it weighs 6 tonnes empty and is towed behind a tractor in the works fleet with the fresh rolled coils on its been fitted with a easy sheet rather like a pram hood :smiley:

Ray Smyth:
Whoever sheeted this trailer didn’t go to “The Bewick School Of Roping & Sheeting” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Ray Smyth.

That looks like a bottle sheet to me Ray , strengthening bands with heavy rope to dolly it down . Dave

Punchy Dan:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Lots of love,
your good friend, ROF

Ey Rof you could put another dodgy advert in the classic comic :laughing:

I can’t afford another advert, Dan. Sadly, you were the only one to take up the offer of a course advertised in the classic comic. And as everyone now knows, I’ve been badgered into giving you a 100% refund. That’s on top of your not paying me for the course in the first place! :cry:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg