Rope and sheet

I know I’m gonna get flack for this one, .but how I used to admire ( when I was young ) a well strapped rope and sheet load ,work of of art…showed a true driver fxxx shiney cabs…that’s just a chaffeaur

And sleeping across the seats with the gear lever stuck up yer arse or on the parcel shelf of an old TK TM or whatever sort they were and wake up in the morn with your socks frozen to the side windows. Them young uns don’t know pigs arse from pork :slight_smile:

And as I have stated in a similar post regarding ‘old school’, we didnt know any different! The idea was to work and get the job done. We certainly wouldnt live and work like that now, but then it was the nomal thing to do!
Written by someone who nearly died of hypothermia in a day cab A series ERF on Sandbach one winters night!

Rog270:
I know I’m gonna get flack for this one, .but how I used to admire ( when I was young ) a well strapped pair of fine knockers ,work of of art…

Fixed that for you. That was me when I was young. Lay off the wacky backy Rog, you’ll be posting about wooden wheels and ■■■■ Turpin next.

Remember on a really cold night out in Sheffield and was running the engine on tick over and someone complained and the to police came out and told me to turn it off, I refused and asked to be locked up for the night in a cosy cell, refused to accommodate me and left, gave it about 5 mins and then I restarted the engine but heard no more and iirc it were one of the coldest nights on record !

raymundo:
Remember on a really cold night out in Sheffield and was running the engine on tick over and someone complained and the to police came out and told me to turn it off, I refused and asked to be locked up for the night in a cosy cell, refused to accommodate me and left, gave it about 5 mins and then I restarted the engine but heard no more and iirc it were one of the coldest nights on record !

Shame you didn’t have a fridge to start up. Would probably have been too cold to need it, though, by the sound of things…
When you say “and the to police came out”, are you talking about the tick-over police?

Ahh the good old days when I could rope and sheet with the best of em.
Many a young driver has chatted to me in awe of my expertise and swiftly been given the golden rivet, like I was.

Nowadays just backing on a bay without a shunt gets admiring glances. Unfortunately inviting a younger driver into your cab for fun and frolics is now not socially acceptable, PC gone mad.

Still I’m old school, dive at 9 no ■■■■ to rough etc.

I remember those days very well but lets be honest ! would i want to revisit them not a chance give me the mod cons all day

raymundo:
And sleeping across the seats with the gear lever stuck up yer arse or on the parcel shelf of an old TK TM or whatever sort they were and wake up in the morn with your socks frozen to the side windows. Them young uns don’t know pigs arse from pork :slight_smile:

I tried that once, I’m 6’1 it didn’t work out well, even across the seats was not wide enough, you had to slightly open the drivers door so your feet could stick out, or sleep with the load in the back which I did on many occasion, it was astonishingly cold in the winter.

Re the waccy backi…I’m 62…and still a pot smoking ■■■■ head…I think it’s the only thing that’s got me this far without having an heart attack.You see when your stoned you don’t take being cut up personal… You tend to look at it in a philosophical way…even on the road to hell ( M25 Fridays before a bank holiday )

Rog270:
Re the waccy backi…I’m 62…and still a pot smoking ■■■■ head…I think it’s the only thing that’s got me this far without having an heart attack.You see when your stoned you don’t take being cut up personal… You tend to look at it in a philosophical way…even on the road to hell ( M25 Fridays before a bank holiday )

now there’s a disturbing thought for anyone using the M25,

Bluey Circles:

Rog270:

now there’s a disturbing thought for anyone using the M25,

I take your point, but surely anybody capable of thought would try to avoid the M25?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45587&hilit=roping+sheeting

Dipper_Dave:
Ahh the good old days when I could rope and sheet with the best of em.
Many a young driver has chatted to me in awe of my expertise and swiftly been given the golden rivet, like I was.

Nowadays just backing on a bay without a shunt gets admiring glances. Unfortunately inviting a younger driver into your cab for fun and frolics is now not socially acceptable, PC gone mad.

Still I’m old school, dive at 9 no ■■■■ to rough etc.

“No ■■■■ to rough”
Are you on about the old days when a shaven haven was as rare as a virgin in a brothel.
And learning the intracasies of roping and sheeting put you in good sted at the local ■■■■■■■ club with all that lovely soft rope I bet.

Bluey Circles:

raymundo:

I tried that once, I’m 6’1 it didn’t work out well, even across the seats was not wide enough, you had to slightly open the drivers door so your feet could stick out, or sleep with the load in the back which I did on many occasion, it was astonishingly cold in the winter.

We took the glass out of the little window by the parcel shelf and made a tin box that stuck out a bit for your feet to go in …■■■■■■■ THING , it obscured the mirror a bit !

I used to watch my Dad rope and sheet when he ran out of the salt works. The winters gradually reduced his hands to arthritic claws over the years. Sheet went all over the place sometimes when it was windy. He taught me how to do dolly knots and slip knots, but that was 30 years ago so I’ve forgot!!

Top respect to you old fella’s. PROPER truckers.

I have slept in a ford d and a bedford tk with no bunk no curtains learnt to drive on a crash box no syncro for me ! how things have improved for us ! and we still complain

I made me own curtains and put the rails in situ in my TK, and the mattress for the parcel shelf was made by me as well, not much good though as the foam was only about 3 inches thick but every little helps :slight_smile:
The little side windows were covered in that fablon sticky stuff.

edit … pity I wrote the truck off a few months later when coming of a roundabout on the A5 at Lichfield and smacked into a broken down container wagon with disastrous consequences :frowning:

I rememberback in the late 60s,I was just a lad and stopped my bike to help a lorry driver with his sheets.He thanked me for helping and I said I want to drive when I left school.He said ifyou were my son Iwould kick your ar$e for saying that.

For sure it was a ■■■■■ in the wind and rain, and there’s no way I want to go back to it…But when you saw a neat a tidy sheeted load you had to admire the skill and art of the Driver…Robson’s of Carlisle… ( remember there old names…Border Warrior…princess etc ) Always was impressed by their sheeting…