Rookie!

Hi all, first post, new to the forum!

Never even been inside a truck! But I love driving and travelling around so thought why not! Not happy being stuck in a office at all so I have booked myself in for an assessment lesson for my Catergory C with Phil Brown in Droitwich. Anyone had any experience with this company?

Obviously abit apprehensive, especially for when I have passed the tests with finding work. I have been told to try and do some agrency work on the weekends to get some experience, however that worries me a little because of my own experience with agency staff being more of a hinder than a help. I am happy being thrown in the deep end but with no experience and no time for training for a particular role… Is this a common problem?

I eventually want this to lead to having my C+E ADR…

Thanks for any advise!

Shelley
(A future Lady Trucker)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I always suggest having at least 2 assessments so you have something to compare. Training quality and facilities vary widely so it’s well worth the effort before spending any money.

You will face the normal difficulties that anyone else does: employers being reluctant to protect their assets by offering a little familiarisation training. Some of the more enlightened do get this sorted - others just expect you to get on with it. But there are sources of help eg this forum, phone call to your trainer, ask colleagues. The fact is that the vast majority of folks manage because we are blessed with some common sense. The secret IMO is not to be afraid to ask.

Any questions leading up to/during your training just fire away.

You might like to know that we offer residential courses at no extra cost - and we give 10% discount to Trucknet users.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

check out the link in my signature below

Tick C & D on the D2 form

Never pay more than £60 for the D4 medical

Thank You for the replies, Id hoped for more lol

I have already completed the Medical and obtained my Provisional Licence.

Sounds like your motivation is exactly the same as mine - fed up with a longstanding office job, trying to find something more enjoyable, knowing that driving and travelling are two pleasures in life, put them together and trucking comes up as an answer. I came into it with no experience and from a completely different industry, and never having been in a truck either. It is daunting, and the end you’re throwing yourself into can be very deep indeed in places, but you seem to have the right attitude and willingness to work hard to make it happen.

That’s where I was just over a year ago, now I’m part-time in the office and C+E qualified driving around in artics 2-3 days a week - drivers’ hours permitting (check the regs carefully if you plan to do weekend work, as your office job counts as ‘other work’ so will limit how much driving you can do).

The pay is rubbish, agency work unreliable but nevertheless available even for rookies right now, and the hours can be long and tiring. However, on a good shift with familiar destinations (so navigation and manoeuvring aren’t a worry) it is a fun day out messing about in trucks.

Expect to find it quite terrifying at times, but persevere and you will overcome that with time. That is the main thing, just time to build the experience and get more familiar with it all.

Good luck! Your tomorrow depends on what you do today… :wink:

Shellbear:

Hi and welcome Shelley :slight_smile:

des-c:

Shellbear:

Another welcome from me too, :slight_smile:

Can’t offer much advice as I’m waiting on provisional return, but can certainly chip in!

Plenty of experienced lads/ladette’s on here will help you out