Rookie question

I’ve got my category A &B licences at the moment. I’ve got my medical next week so I can get my provisional sorted out and everything (should have no problems - 21, no medication, fit as a fiddle, blah blah blah).

Anyhow.

I’m intending on filling my driving licence (everything, including category G & H). If I get my category C and then go for Category E, will this give an entitlement to drive B+E (ie car with trailers), or just C+E?

I admit to not knowing how this works - how does it appear on the driving licences for those that have passed? C+E or C then underneath it, E?

I’m sure I’ll come to irritate many of you in the next few weeks/months :wink:

Gary

Hi Shadyron
Firstly welcome to trucknet mate.

I’m still a newbie myself so i can’t help you with your question myself, but someone will be able to give you the answer soon

shadyron:

You won’t irritate us, we’ve all been there.

just remember the only silly question is the one you don’t ask

shadyron:
I’m intending on filling my driving licence (everything, including category G & H). If I get my category C and then go for Category E, will this give an entitlement to drive B+E (ie car with trailers), or just C+E?

You get the E to specifically go with the C, so you don’t “go for category E” as such, you go for “category C+E”, so you would still need an extra test to get B+E. When you’ve done it you get “C” and “CE” as seperate categories on your licence

Oh, and welcome to trucknet. I’m not the only uknotter on here now I see :wink:

Paul

Sorry Repton, I’ve got to disagree with you there.

I checked on my licence and B E is dated when I took my car test. Granted that was over 20 years ago.
I think you don’t need to do a test for B E. You get it automatically when you pass C E. I know that there has been a change recently, to try and cut down on the wobble boxes etc, driven by idiots who don’t have a clue. I think that the main trailer class test still covers you for all the other trailer class tests. The main trailer test being for trailers over 750Kg.

There is a link HERE about it (to the D of T website), but it doesn’t really cover your question shadyron. There is a contact us and a questions link on the page though. You might try that and get your answers from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Oh, and welcome to TruckNet UK.

Simon:
Sorry Repton, I’ve got to disagree with you there.

You’re right. Now I’ve actually looked, passing C+E will also get you B+E.

See section 3 on http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm which specifically states this. It also suggests that if you have C+E and D then you automatically get D+E too so that’s one less test to do to fill up your licence (which is relevant for me too as it’s something I plan to do eventually).

Sorry for the misleading info.

Paul

repton:
See section 3 on http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm which specifically states this. It also suggests that if you have C+E and D then you automatically get D+E too so that’s one less test to do to fill up your licence (which is relevant for me too as it’s something I plan to do eventually).

Reading that link again suggests the order might be important…

It says that if you pass your C+E test, then D is automatically upgraded to D+E.
It doesn’t say that if you already have C+E and you pass D that you get D+E.
So, taking that page to the letter, if you want to be sure of maximum categories for minimum tests, you should be sure to do D before C+E. Of course it might not matter as it might be vague wording on the part of the DVLA but I bet it would be hard work finding somewhere that will do you a bus+trailer test so it might be an expensive way of finding out if you do C+E then D and don’t get D+E added for “free”.

Paul

Simon:
I checked on my licence and B E is dated when I took my car test. Granted that was over 20 years ago.

The 20 years makes the difference. Car tests passed since 1st Jan 1997 no longer entitle you to B+E.

MrFlibble:

Simon:

The 20 years makes the difference. Car tests passed since 1st Jan 1997 no longer entitle you to B+E.

Simon just forgot how old he is :wink:

just checked my licence cat B added 11/12/79 :blush: :blush: :blush:

Hey Repton… I looked at your domain from some other postings (the ones showing your parking and stuff with the TIP trailer) and thought “Hmm, I recognise that domain…”

I’ll ring the DVLA when they’re open again (I’ll do the usual ring them three times and take the average answer since I’m sure it’ll change on each phone call). I’d be interested to see if:

I do Cat C
Do Cat D
Then go for E

if I get upgraded to B+E, C+E and D+E. Interesting.

I shall report back when I know more, eh.

Thanks all!

Gary

here’s the reverse of my licence…i went straight into class2 when i done my test.in otherwords no car test,and all items where added from that date.09.08.91

groups.msn.com/TrucknetUKOnlineP … hotoID=267

Welcome to trucknet shadyron :slight_smile: .

You havn’t got group A in there Kitkat :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hi ShadyRon and Welcome to TrucknetUk.

I bet not half as much as we’ll irritate you :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink: . Seriousley, feel free to ask as many questions as you want. No one u’ll think any the worse of you for it :wink: . When I eventually manage to find it :open_mouth: , I’ll post everything that’s on the licence in the order it’s on.

Welcome to the board Shadyron. I think the best way to sort out what you want to do is to get in touch with a couple of local training schools and see what they say. They ought to know it’s their business. Keep asking the questions that way you’ll get the answers, eventually.

Simon:
You havn’t got group A in there Kitkat :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

group A is for …idiots on two wheels :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

was offered it but turned it down :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you passed your test before 1997 you go straight to class C if not , you will need C1 or 7.5 ton license before the C ,as i under stand it, if i am wrong i will stand correc :laughing: :wink: ted

Correct Roadrunner,

I passed my car test years ago, so I haave just taken C. I got 7.5 ton as part of my original car pass.

shadyron:
Hey Repton… I looked at your domain from some other postings (the ones showing your parking and stuff with the TIP trailer) and thought “Hmm, I recognise that domain…”

Heh, yeah. I worked for Energis until the 17th of December, but I had had enough of working in an office so I’ve gone for a “bit” of a change.

shadyron:
I’ll ring the DVLA when they’re open again (I’ll do the usual ring them three times and take the average answer since I’m sure it’ll change on each phone call). I’d be interested to see if:

I do Cat C
Do Cat D
Then go for E

Well, you have to go for “C+E” rather than “E” if you want to get B+E and D+E added, but from what that site said if you did C and D in any order then C+E you would get the lot.

Paul

roadrunner:
If you passed your test before 1997 you go straight to class C if not , you will need C1 or 7.5 ton license before the C ,as i under stand it, if i am wrong i will stand correc :laughing: :wink: ted

Sorry to be a spoil sport but I’m quite similar to this guy 21 and trying to get all my licences! anyway i’ve just gone direct from B to C, For the oldies :smiley: thats Car to class 2!

Super Dan:
Sorry to be a spoil sport but I’m quite similar to this guy 21 and trying to get all my licences! anyway i’ve just gone direct from B to C, For the oldies :smiley: thats Car to class 2!

Oi, you, youngster. Careful about that oldies bit. We might be older, don’t mean we can’t keep up with the terminology, (though we can get a bit lost in all the many changes in licencing laws since we did our tests).
:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Youngsters these days. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: