Roof Mounted Air Con Pods

Looking for opinions and information on Roof Mounted Air con pods?

there are different types that work in different ways apparently. TransAm have them but they didnt when i was there, Euromat may be able to give you an opinion on the type they use.

there are these ones (H.C Wilson have got 'em, helps keep the height down), T’net user MR141 may help you with these as he works for HCW

I’ve a water based one and I love it but our new Volvos have non water ones which is basically proper aircon so brilliant. The water ones cool the cab down but not as much as proper aircon will

switchlogic:
I’ve a water based one and I love it but our new Volvos have non water ones which is basically proper aircon so brilliant. The water ones cool the cab down but not as much as proper aircon will

Are these the ones that work independently from the engine?

Yes indeed they are.

kindle530:
there are these ones (H.C Wilson have got 'em, helps keep the height down), T’net user MR141 may help you with these as he works for HCW

The Height isn’t major issue, provided we stay under 4m, I suppose as HC Wilson do a lot of flatbed work it might be more of an issue for them.

switchlogic:

Isn’t there a big price difference betwen a water based one like yours and a proper air con type?
At what sort of outside temperatures will your one be able to keep the cab at a reasonable temperature?

I’m not one of those who keeps my aircon set at it’s lowest level, so if I could maintain 20-25 degrees it would be okay for me.

The guy I used to work for had water ones fitted, they were okay but if the temp gets up very high (80-90) then they are hardly effective at all, I used to put ice cubes in mine and enjoy the cool breeze before they melted, the new waterless ones are I am told the dogs testicles.

Amazing in this day & age that they are not an intergral fitment.

Dodgy Permit:
Amazing in this day & age that they are not an intergral fitment.

Indeed but then that’s trucks. I still have to put my key in the door to lock it and don’t even have an alarm

Waeco model on all ours(FH12), brilliant , can heat and cool.

I bought a Waeco waterless pod for my scania and I wouldn’t buy another one. They are brilliant when they work, but they don’t tend to last more than a couple of summers before the bearings and/or the compressor quits. Add the extra fuel consumption due all year round and I will not recommend them until they improve their life expectancy. This is my opinion based on at least four different trucks with the thing.

milodon:
I bought a Waeco waterless pod for my scania and I wouldn’t buy another one. They are brilliant when they work, but they don’t tend to last more than a couple of summers before the bearings and/or the compressor quits. Add the extra fuel consumption due all year round and I will not recommend them until they improve their life expectancy. This is my opinion based on at least four different trucks with the thing.

I’m surprised about that, the only piece of Waeco kit I’ve ever used was a battery powered fridge in the race transporter of the last team I worked for. It was running almost constantly for the 5 years I worked there, the only problem we had with it was the surround for the ice box door was a bit fragile, esepcially when opened by heavy handed mechy’s.
The UK agent were really helpful, despite it being an obsolete product, they put me onto a company that stocked the part.

switchlogic:
Indeed but then that’s trucks. I still have to put my key in the door to lock it and don’t even have an alarm

I forgot these & yes again quite strange when central locking and alarms are fitted to the most basic cars these days.

They r designedto be used at night… Our ones at trans am work for bout 4 hrs in the middle of the day n then it gets too hot… You have to bring the cab temp down first with the normal aircon n then wack em on.

muckles:

kindle530:

The Height isn’t major issue, provided we stay under 4m, I suppose as HC Wilson do a lot of flatbed work it might be more of an issue for them.

Nothing to do with them doing flat work mate, other people doing Euro have got them as well, its just that they are easy to spot on their motors as they have flatbeds.
if you look at the entrance to Blackwall Tunnel northbound, (as well as beside bridges in NL and D), there are roof mounted pod covers lying by the entrance(s). A lot of tall motors (Topline XL SSC etc) can be a touch over 4mtr with these on
[/quote]

my topline was 4.04 high with the pod, never had any trouble with the height. I don’t know where you’d find the bridges at exactly 4m height, we have a fridge trailer that runs at 4.20 earning its keep running between almeria and sweden week in and week out for years now, hasn’t hit a bridge yet.

milodon:
my topline was 4.04 high with the pod, never had any trouble with the height. I don’t know where you’d find the bridges at exactly 4m height, we have a fridge trailer that runs at 4.20 earning its keep running between almeria and sweden week in and week out for years now, hasn’t hit a bridge yet.

I can name you at least two in Holland.

kindle530:

muckles:

kindle530:

Nothing to do with them doing flat work mate, other people doing Euro have got them as well, its just that they are easy to spot on their motors as they have flatbeds.
if you look at the entrance to Blackwall Tunnel northbound, (as well as beside bridges in NL and D), there are roof mounted pod covers lying by the entrance(s). A lot of tall motors (Topline XL SSC etc) can be a touch over 4mtr with these on

Cheers :smiley: I thought they’d be no higher than my air kit, but I’ll bear in mind what you said. I like the pods as they seem quite simple to mount onto the truck just an adaptor through the roof hatch. Do you have to cut holes in the rear of the truck for the others?

switchlogic:
I can name you at least two in Holland.

low underpasses that you can get under with a 4.0m high truck but not a 4.04 one? please do, then again we never load in holland, only transit from meppen to breda