Rollover question

m11 southbound was chaos today. dhl truck on its side , beer barrels everywhere. took me around an extra 1/2 hour to get through.
went past about 8 am , down to one lane. heard on the radio later on that southbound had closed for recovery of vehicle.

later on on my way back northbound was much worse whilst everyone got a good look. took me an extra hour to do stansted to huntingdon.

anyhow, if the load had not spilt everywhere the i presume recovery would have been easier and the road opening much quicker.
question is in this day and age would a driver be prosecuted for shedding a load like this if the driver was found at fault. or would the company be liable for clean up charges.■■
in the days of roping and sheeting etc, how many loads spilt if the truck went over■■?
seems like everyday now there is a shed load of something or other, is this down to curtainsiders or drivers not strapping stuff down ■■.

If traffic turn up to one of these incidents then I think it is standard practice for them to consider whether the load was securely fastened or not.
If they consider that the load was not secure enough then they may prosecute.
I would imagine there would be statistics for this somewhere…

Even if the load had been secure, if it was a curtainsider the first thing they’d probably do is cut the curtain and leave the load where it is. Makes it ten times easier to right the vehicle. If it’s a box wagon or a container then they’d right it and then have to sort the load out. Getting the vehicle back onto it’s wheels is the easiest part of most recoveries, it’s the recovery of the load and cleaning up afterward that takes so long.

Was the driver o.k :question: :question:

Had the beer barrels split open then :question: as heard radio say it was still closed at 3:30pm and there had been 2 accidents on the same stretch of road :exclamation: :question:

Not quite sure how easy it is to trans ship beer barrels onto another truck on a motorway. Guessing you’d need to aquire a fork lift to put barrels back on :question: I dont know as i dont do that sort of work.

BOSS - 8;30 am “Where are you forky?”

FORK DRIVER “just about to pass camrbridge services,boss

BOSS - 10:50 am "Forky where are you now :?: "

FORK DRIVER “Just passing cambridge services, boss

:blush: :blush: :wink: :wink: :sunglasses:

i would hazard a guess and say the barrels were empty, there was none split open.
when i went past at 13.00 dhl had sent out another truck and they were reloading that with a forklift, also there was two car recovery trucks loaded up with the barrels also.
hope the driver is ok, they never got a mention on the radio.

In answer to some questions raised here.

It was one of ours.

The driver is alive and has been released from hospital. Wouldn’t say that he is well yet, but I think he’ll be OK.

The kegs were full, and it seems most of it was recoverable. My mate has not long returned from the scene after having being sent to collect the strewn kegs. He reckons the unit (an ‘06’ DAF XF) and trailer will be written off.

My company will be picking up the bill for the recovery and clean-up.

I hope the driver makes a full recovery. It must have been a terrifying experience.

Best wishes to him.

This kind of “accident” always puzzles me.

To fall over like that you would have to swerve sharply and brake at the same time. A blown tyre, even at the front shouldn’t be enough so maybe something happened in front, but that would have to be something that made the driver yank the wheel over and stand on the brake at the same time.

Surely this is a very rare circumstance but these rollovers seem to happen daily so can anyone enlighten me?

I saw a k/n pulling a fosters trailer its was on its side last year on the m60 recovery firm had a forklift truck out on that one.

Santa:
This kind of “accident” always puzzles me.

To fall over like that you would have to swerve sharply and brake at the same time. A blown tyre, even at the front shouldn’t be enough so maybe something happened in front, but that would have to be something that made the driver yank the wheel over and stand on the brake at the same time.

Surely this is a very rare circumstance but these rollovers seem to happen daily so can anyone enlighten me?

Pictures from Cambridge Evening News.

Looking at the second pic are they tyre marks from the truck or just random ones nothing to do with it and just happen to be there :question: :question: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

Best wishes to the driver though - hope he makes a full recovery, and no doubt was probably a very scary few seconds as his truck went over :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Kegs on pallets is a bad idea anyway.They tend to slip around a lot.Should really be on proper sized locator boards.

paul@midway:
Kegs on pallets is a bad idea anyway.They tend to slip around a lot.Should really be on proper sized locator boards.

It is people relying on gravity & PVC restraints again. If that was barrels of oil or tubs of grease, then they would be shrinkwrapped onto pallets and then banded.

Wouldn’t happen as far as moving beer is concerned…
Excuse will be the delivery and loading points complaining about time constraints to wrap/ unwrap kegs on pallets.
Chucking them onto blues and euros will carry on…
Precariously stacked as well :unamused:

The trailer that went over probably wasn’t tapered for keg either.

Was it a Tradeteam truck or just a normal DHL one? Reason I ask is that on the rare occasions Tradeteam have bought barrels in for us to deliver they have been on the special moulded plastic pallets.

Not trade team matte.

Thats an InBev load.

Kegs on pallets, they refuse to have locator boards on site, never heard a sensible explanation of why not; and they do not believe in shrink wrap, it gets in the way and creates waste apparantly. As for strapping them, well if you can work out how to strap kegs effectively I am sure all breweries and the HSE would like to hear about it.

We were taking some barrels of IPA to our pubs (why it couldn’t have gone through Tradeteam I’ll never know) but we had them three barrels to a roll cage. Fun fun fun.

98% of all crashes are down to the driver
Sorry mate hope your ok

tofer:
Was it a Tradeteam truck or just a normal DHL one? Reason I ask is that on the rare occasions Tradeteam have bought barrels in for us to deliver they have been on the special moulded plastic pallets.

No. The vehicle was nothing to do with Tradeteam. We have other brewery contracts which often get confused with that bit of the firm.

The vehicle in the accident was specified for exclusive use on such a contract, where it has operated since new. The trailer was fitted with internal nets (or ‘nappies’) designed to secure the load.

There’s a little farm/brewery on the road from Wolvey to Magna Park I often see a DHL curtainsider in there loading up. It’s easy to confuse you with Tradeteam seeing as they’re yellow too. We had the glad tidings that we are to become yellow and red also. Not sure if the wagons will be though because they are in customer livery. Hope the driver is recovering well.