Roll on - Roll off

Hi,

I start a full-time contract next week working with roll on/off recycling skips.

Not something I’ve done before, but I’ve got 3 full days training - sounds like a good job and it includes weekends so money will be pretty good.

Has anyone worked with roll on roll off? Anything to watch-out for?

Cheers,

i know i might sound stupid but is roll on roll off the multi lift skip on an 8 wheeler if it is that was the best job i ever did till i was made redundent :cry:

Not stupid at all… in fact I’m not entirely sure myself :confused:

The one I saw in the yard uses a big hook on the back of the waggon which pulls the container up on to the deck on the truck. It was an 8 wheeler though…

Did you work after being laid off easy enough?

yep thts the one when i got layed of i went on to artics and havent driven anything smaller since apart from my car :laughing:

Two things to remember, watch its not overloaded, and they can be tricky on roundabouts, apart from that its a cracking job.Good luck

There are 2 types of RORO skips. The Multilift system uses wire ropes and rollers to pull the skip up a sloping ramp or you can use the big hook system that physically lifts and drags the skip up the bed.

Multilift also do a big hook system so it can be confusing :confused: .

Watch the wire ropes as they can make a puncture wound if you are not careful, even with gloves. With a big hook you can normally operate them without leaving the driver seat. except to net the skip.

Wire ropes mean you have to hook the cables to the bottom of the skip

They are nearly all hookers, not many cable ones about.

Overloading is the biggest problem, unless you’ve got a weigher on board.

If you have a newer one then it will have an auto sheeter which basically unrolls a net over the top of the skip once its loaded easy peasy but if like me you got an older one then you have to net it by clambering about on the skip then load it on and then when you get to the landfill site (assuming thats where you tip them) you have to drop the skip unnet it then pick up the skip again

Enjoy the landfill sites mate you picked the right time of year for it what with sunshine flies maggots more flies wasps more flies the smell more flies oh and watch out for the nappies they can be pretty slippy underfoot and you really dont want to end up on your arse on a landfill site… :open_mouth: i love my job :smiley: (5 days left and counting)