Roger pickering photo's

newmercman:
Pete, I can’t remember the name of the firm, but it was green with yellow stripes and covered in marker lights all over the front grille. It got a coat of Ford diamond white on the cab, aircraft blue chassis and the lights all went in the bin before it went on the road. Only a flat top 420 streamline, but a bloody good lorry it turned out to be, never cost a penny apart from routine maintenance and new brake chambers when it went up for test. I bought a bunch of the big 540 Stralis, but kept the Scania for myself and I sold it for more than I paid for it over 5yrs later. It’s still running around in Ireland to this day, a friend recently sent me some photos of it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Marc,
The only lorries running around in colours similar to those was a company called J P R ran saw dust etc in to Kronospan at Chirk,? I have found a photo from Dave the Renegades collection,there is a 3 series Streamliner behind? If it is not these Marc then I’m out of idea’s! Cheer’s Pete

Chris Webb:
A friend of mine had relatives near Forrester’s yard,he said there was allsorts parked up in there a few years ago. I remember seeing them in Monsanto Acrefair int 70s.

Morning Chris,
If you google " W J Furber auction" and click on the link “on behalf of J P E Holdings” then “vintage lorries” there are a few shots of Forresters motors, Pete

HRS:
What some people will do to avoid paying income tax is amazing, I have sold many into sheds over the years.
Could never understand how the accountant lost them on the books, someone on here will know, for sure. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Harvey

Morning Harvey,
I know of a couple of companies which done just that, one was Fordhouses Transport and A C Holmes bought new vehicles for the tax reason, the Big J of Fordhouse transport is still about in Richard Staniers colours, B101 SFK and 2 of the Seddon Atkinsons of A C Holmes have just been purchased by Ray Hingley, never been registered as far as I know! Cheer’s Pete
[/quote]
Hi Pete,
Dealers had to fill in, and send off the V55 to tax the truck and this started the vehicle warranty.
I had to make it very clear to the oporator that after a period of time, without registration the warranty ceased and the factory did not want to know.
Great thread, well done. Harvey
[/quote]
Morning Harvey,
I think the Big J’s of Fordhouse Transport had a trip every year to the local test station for an MOT, one was registered but the “b reg” was obviously not registered until sold to Thomas Ingles in early 1980’s, Cheer’s Pete

DEANB:
Pete,back on page 2 you posted a pic of one of James Booth’s motors. Heres another one. :wink:
Keep the pics coming chap. :laughing:

Morning Dean,
Thank you for the photo of Booths, it has on the trailer chassis " for a cheerful service" I wonder if that applies to many companies in this day and age?
Here are a few more,

Hi Pete,thaks for the info regarding Forresters.
The Blowers ERF KV is no longer in the Isle of Man,not sure where it is int UK now.I took some pics of it at Jurby Transport Museum a few years ago.

iomerf4.jpg

iomerf3.jpg

iomerf2.jpg

iomerf1.jpg

pete smith:

newmercman:
Pete, I can’t remember the name of the firm, but it was green with yellow stripes and covered in marker lights all over the front grille. It got a coat of Ford diamond white on the cab, aircraft blue chassis and the lights all went in the bin before it went on the road. Only a flat top 420 streamline, but a bloody good lorry it turned out to be, never cost a penny apart from routine maintenance and new brake chambers when it went up for test. I bought a bunch of the big 540 Stralis, but kept the Scania for myself and I sold it for more than I paid for it over 5yrs later. It’s still running around in Ireland to this day, a friend recently sent me some photos of it.

Marc,
The only lorries running around in colours similar to those was a company called J P R ran saw dust etc in to Kronospan at Chirk,? I have found a photo from Dave the Renegades collection,there is a 3 series Streamliner behind? If it is not these Marc then I’m out of idea’s! Cheer’s Pete

That could be the one, I thought the green was a bit lighter than that though, the 4 series has the same light set up in the grille and my one did have a headboard on it, which went in the same skip as the lights prior to its paint job.

I bought that in early 02, it replaced an ex ARR Craib 520 EuroStar that got me back in to owner driving after a brief sabbatical which included my time at TRUCK magazine. As I said, apart from the colour and the lights and headboard, it was a superb lorry, a credit to its previous owner and the driver, who clearly looked after it.

newmercman:

pete smith:

newmercman:

Marc,

That could be the one, I thought the green was a bit lighter than that though, the 4 series has the same light set up in the grille and my one did have a headboard on it, which went in the same skip as the lights prior to its paint job.

I bought that in early 02, it replaced an ex ARR Craib 520 EuroStar that got me back in to owner driving after a brief sabbatical which included my time at TRUCK magazine. As I said, apart from the colour and the lights and headboard, it was a superb lorry, a credit to its previous owner and the driver, who clearly looked after it.

Hi Marc,
I’m sure there are more pics about of JPR, you never know! Pete

Chris Webb:
Hi Pete,thaks for the info regarding Forresters.
The Blowers ERF KV is no longer in the Isle of Man,not sure where it is int UK now.I took some pics of it at Jurby Transport Museum a few years ago.

Hi Chris,
Thank you for the pics, it will turn up some day in another livery I expect, Pete

pete smith:

newmercman:

Marc,

JPR Transport has/had offices in Wellington and/or Rhayader, depending on where you look :laughing: . The ones I found showed late 1980s Renaults and a Merc. This looks like a scan from a magazine article which, if found, might shed a bit more light:
farm6.static.flickr.com/5244/52 … 44fa3c.jpg

Plenty of superb phots here. Even if you don’t find it, you’ll spend a pleasant hour:
picssr.com/photos/atkidave/inter … 263046@N02

Is this the operator?
flickr.com/photos/atkidave/ … 443997552/

Ha ha,no I never had a lift with Arclid/Bathgate Silica Pete,it was BIS from Chelford.I wonder if Bathgate was part of BIS,I know it’s summat like Hepworth Ceramics nowadays.Pete or Dan might know.

bathgate.jpg

pete smith:

Hi Pete ,some great shots here ,T Richards Jones are still in business i think from Ammanford ,regards Keith

Don Bur looked to be a very popular body with Shropshire and Welsh operators .

Pete I think the Volvo on page 5 behind the sed Atki could be Georges Transport from iirc wingerworth ?

Not sure if its the same one, but this was the string vest (copperism) 111 in the sale

carimage-2.vimage.jpeg

James Booth was founded in the early 1900’s, as coal merchants to the people of Bolton.
Still in business today they recently put five new Volvo FM 6x2 tractor units with factory-fitted lightweight mid-lift axles into service.

JBV.jpg Commercial Motor article

kingswinford kit:

pete smith:

Hi Pete ,some great shots here ,T Richards Jones are still in business i think from Ammanford ,regards Keith

Morning Keith,
I seem to remember doing a couple of Asbestos Skips for them at a school in Ammanford, think they had a Volvo FH at the time? Cheer’s Pete