Roadways container transport

Hi gents anybody out there know what they are like to work for

I did a lot of work out of Nurlsling (Soton) for them, last 18 months.

I work full time out of nursling. Conditions ok, rates could be better but vary from depot to depot. 24.50 night out here which I think is reasonable.

Used to work out of Trafford Park.

It was my first job on the boxes, they trained me up and then sent me with another driver for a couple of days to make sure I knew what I was doing.
Rates were ok for the job, boxes is usually lower pay than general anyway.
The downside for me and the reason I’m no longer there was the 0 hour contract. This was ok most of the time, only got stood down once in about 10mths, but holidays ran jan - dec, and you couldn’t carry them over, then in jan we were stood down for minimum 1st week = no money = me on agency and never went back.

If they got rid of the 0hr contract and guaranteed even just 40hrs, I’d be back like a shot if they’d have me, but not on 0hrs, might as well be on agency and get the overtime after 8hrs

waynedl:

It was my first job on the boxes, they trained me up and then sent me with another driver for a couple of days to make sure I knew what I was doing.
The downside for me and the reason I’m no longer there was the 0 hour contract. This was ok most of the time, only got stood down once in about 10mths, but holidays ran jan - dec, and you couldn’t carry them over, then in jan we were stood down for minimum 1st week = no money = me on agency and never went back.

If they got rid of the 0hr contract and guaranteed even just 40hrs, I’d be back like a shot if they’d have me, but not on 0hrs, might as well be on agency and get the overtime after 8hrs

Are they all on that zero hours thing then at all depots■■?

yorkshire terrier:

waynedl:

The old timers aren’t, but as far as I know (but can be corrected) anyone who’s started in the last 4 or 5 years will be.

waynedl:

yorkshire terrier:

waynedl:

If they got rid of the 0hr contract and guaranteed even just 40hrs, I’d be back like a shot if they’d have me, but not on 0hrs, might as well be on agency and get the overtime after 8hrs[/

The old timers aren’t, but as far as I know (but can be corrected) anyone who’s started in the last 4 or 5 years will be.

That is poor,I work for one of there subbys and things are quiet at the minute but wondered how they parked so many trucks up.
How do drivers get loans and things if working on these sort of terms

Zero hours contracts ■■■■, the gvt won’t do anything because they want control over you via employers, I have lots of friends in quite a few transport companies and they are all saying the same - its quiet, the work I do is busy but I have known it to be far better. The gvt however are telling us something else - aren’t they?

Boxes was always a decent job in the past like like everything it seems if its easy they will drop the money.

waynedl:

yorkshire terrier:

waynedl:

I started 4 months ago and I’m on a 45hrs minimum per week. Afaik it’s the same for everyone down here.

DJC:

waynedl:

yorkshire terrier:

waynedl:

I started 4 months ago and I’m on a 45hrs minimum per week. Afaik it’s the same for everyone down here.

Nice 1 DJC, maybe it’s the same all over now? I doubt it though.

waynedl:

DJC:

waynedl:

yorkshire terrier:

waynedl:

I think its more like 0 hrs all over, as there seemed to be a lot off their motors stood in FXT depot last few weeks, 0hrs would explain that :wink:

eddie snax:

waynedl:

DJC:

waynedl:

yorkshire terrier:

waynedl:

I think its more like 0 hrs all over, as there seemed to be a lot off their motors stood in FXT depot last few weeks, 0hrs would explain that :wink:

How can you say you think it’s more like 0 hrs all over when a Southampton lad (DJC), who works for them has said otherwise? :unamused:

Thanks gents, that’s useful info.

mikeshe:

eddie snax:

How can you say you think it’s more like 0 hrs all over when a Southampton lad (DJC), who works for them has said otherwise? :unamused:

MMM I kind off put 2 and 2 together, and come up with an answer between 3 and 5 :unamused: but true, DJC has stated otherwise, but I find it hard to believe that any firm would have trucks standing unless they can cut part off the downtime costs, what easier way to do it than 0hrs contracts, but I will find out how FXT works, watch this space :wink:

eddie snax:

mikeshe:

eddie snax:

MMM I kind off put 2 and 2 together, and come up with an answer between 3 and 5 :unamused: but true, DJC has stated otherwise, but I find it hard to believe that any firm would have trucks standing unless they can cut part off the downtime costs, what easier way to do it than 0hrs contracts, but I will find out how FXT works, watch this space :wink:

Ok so I had a word with a lad I know who was working for RCL at FXT til about 6 months ago, and he confirmed that they do use 0hrs contracts at FXT, and have drivers on 3 different rates of pay in that one yard, and the 0hrs are those who’ve started in the last few years, he could’nt remember exactly when they started :wink: