Road Trip To Eire, Includes Pic's

Hi All,

Thought I would put up a little diary of my recent “jolly” to Eire.

Started off from our Yard in Higham Ferrers on Wednesday the 6th 4:20am with the mission to work on site in Newport for Atkins Rail, moving some rail gear around.
Traffic was ok on the way down, until I got to the M50!! Alot of snow on the outside lane and hardly anyone using it. I sat patiently behind the traffic flow for about 5 miles. But once it all started to slow down to a crawl, I thought right it’s time to do my bit and clear the outside lane. Out I went and made steady progress, except for a few idiots who thought it was their god given right to use their 44tonnes to straddle the road and stop me passing.
ANYWAY, saw a FedEx artic jack-knifed just south of Monmouth on the 449, cab looked intact, hope the driver was ok.
Finally arrived in Newport at 9am. And this was the scene that greeted me…

After checking in with my supervisor, he told me that the job was looking unlikely to go ahead…so I went off to make a brew while they decided what to do. At about 11am they decided to call off all works for the week so got my ticket signed for the shift and called in to the boss. Sit tight he said I may have a nice “little” trip for you. Southern Ireland, a little place called SCARRIFF… :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :smiley:
At 14:00 the job was confirmed, collect a 9 tonne container/store to return to Northampton… and I was off…sailing from Pembroke to Rosslare at 14:45 on the thursday. So a nice steady run to the dock, no rush. Took a couple of pics on Motorway.

Arrived in Pembroke at about 17:00 getting fuel and a few supplies on the way. Got booked in to the port and directed to where I could park for night.
Had a nice relaxed evening watching everything going on in the port. watched a few DVD’s.
In the morning was greeted by -7 temp and fresh snow. was approached by a Mansell Davies driver who had broke down, asked if I could give him a jump start, no problem…soon becomes apparent that its not the batteries, its the starter, we tried to get it going but no amount of knocking it would budge it, so he calls in recovery…nice chap Jim “easy-life” drives W15 MDS. We ended having a laugh for the duration of the crossing too.
some pics in the dock…

Here is the ferry I am on, the Oscar Wilde, it normally does crossing to Cherbourg.

After boarding me and Jim have a good chat and laugh exchanging some stories. eating an “OK” meal of BBQ chicken and chips. and waiting for the 19:30 arrival time to Rosslare.
Now I am gonna put just a chosen few pics of the scenery on the way out to Rosslare.

We arrived in Rosslare at 19:30 hours and I am now itching to get going…Jim bids me farewell and reminds me to take care on the roads in Southern Ireland, they dont grit as often as here. So i dont take any pictures til later. Come out of Rosslare with no real drama, just get my bearings and take it steady as there is a fair bit of snow and ice on the road…I take the N25 out of Rosslare following the Irish boys all of whom seemed to be taking the weather seriously and not really going over 40mph all the way to Waterford.
Once past Waterford I take the N24 which will take me all the way through to Limerick. As I approach Clonmel the traffic comes to an abrupt halt, hazard lights on everywhere and nothing moves for about 10 mins. It suddenly dawns on me that in front of us is a 14.1 bridge and I can see a truck that has come under the bridge and is stopped in the road! UH-OH…yep you guessed it, it’s an artic loaded with pallets as I walk down to see if I can offer any help its a mess!! he has come flying under the bridge and took about 50 or so pallets clean off the top…unfortunately there was car going through at the same time…didn’t look too good, so no pics I am afraid. finally managed to find an alternative route thanks to a local chap. Once back on the N24 I make good time…and I soon find that it aint a long way to …

I make it to Limerick on 4 hours 23…I am only 20 miles from the collection place…i decide not to chance it as the roads are getting narrower and I take a 45 min break. It’s -8 and the ice is starting to build up on the front of the truck now…

finally get parked up on site about 01:30 . Shattered now after driving through the thick fog and snow, so its straight into my bed.
Woke up at 8am to the phone ringing, it’s the customer asking if I made it ok, and what time would I be there, LOL I am here!! So he gets the kettle on for me…good chap. -5 outside, i ain’t looking forward to working in this today!!!

Thats the container I gotta load up, once they put the last few bits of tunneling equipment in it. Time to make some brekkie while I wait for them to finish off loading it up.

I take some more pics while waiting…

The guys finish off loading the container by 9am so I decide to get a head start and load it all up, ready to leave. Once loaded and secured it’s 10:15 and I am all ready to hit the road. A quick call to the boss to let him know and he asks me if I mind driving to Carlow to collect a “small” 8ft by 4ft machine, no problem so I punch it into the sat nav, Braun Oral B factory, Dublin Road…off I trot taking in some more amazing scenery!!!

Arrived at Braun about 13:30 and go book in for the collection. One look at the machine and I know it ain’t going on me!!! We have been given wrong dimensions and due to only having limited space I only have one choice to call the boss with the good news.After a few calls and me taking pictures and measurements, the customer admits defeat and I leave without the machine.The ACTUAL SIZE…4ft by 10ft!!!
Straight to the Docks at Dublin now.

I wont bore you with anymore pictures now, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I arrived at the docks at 17:00 so get a chance to chill out and have a bite to eat, wander over to the Topaz fuel station for ■■■■, and nearly died when the woman said 16 euros and 49 cents for 40 Lambert and Butler!!! Note to ones self DONT BUY ■■■■ IN IRELAND!!! The ferry sailed at 22:00 to Birkenhead. One of my workmates Paul “Fatboy” Cutting joins me for the voyage back across to England aboard the Liverpool Viking where we have a good laugh share a pitcher of lager before retiring for a sleep. Arriving in Birkenhead at 5am. We soon get off and bomb it back, having a banter on the CB all the way back to the yard at Higham ferrers, getting in at 10:30am.

Hope you enjoyed my little diary…

Cheers
Clarky

Quailty mate

hi Clarky

great post mate and the pics were good to look forward to the next one :slight_smile:

Great diary mate, cheers for that.
Dont you just love it when people get dimensions wrong! :grimacing:
Interesting picture of the driver putting that flat on top of the other flat, looks like you need to be very accurate.

Good read, Dave.

Keep 'em coming!!

M.

Nice one Clarky , enjoyed that mate , any luck getting on that Gibraltar run or is it too late ■■

nice one clarky

nice to know I’m not the only one who gets given wrong dimensions when sent to collect loads

Clarky:

Now that does look like a good trip to me!

This image makes it all worth while. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Clarky,
Great post & pics,interesting trip by the sounds of it.
Cheers Dave.

Koop:

Clarky:

Now that does look like a good trip to me!

This image makes it all worth while. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ewww, brown sauce will ruin those lovely sarnies lol! :laughing:

The rest of the diary was a good read, keep it up bonny lad! :sunglasses:

HP makes a bacon sarnie!

Great pics Clarky, you go afar often ? I thought you was mainly local, probably not carrying a frying pan :smiley:

Hi Guy’s thanks for the comments.

1. No I am not off on the gibralter trip Shade,passport expired and I didn’t realise, but have now sent off for new one!!

2. HP is the only this to go on a Bacon n Egg sarnie Zeb…LOL.

3. And I do go all over the UK, and it would seem we are getting more Euro work coming in now too. The frying pan is my mate, I tend to cook my own food on most trips out, cheaper and gives me something to do…