Road tax for leecy cars

Coming in 2025.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

And will be retrospective for all cars since April 2017 !
All at £165 p.a.
Plus £355 p.a. for first 5 yrs for cars over £40k

stu675:
All at £165 p.a.

Where is “retrospective” tax mentioned please?
£355 for all cars over £40k years 2-6.

Franglais:

stu675:
All at £165 p.a.

It isn’t, I suspect that this is a bit of a wooosh moment [emoji16]

It was inevitable that EVs would be taxed sooner or later, I’m a little surprised it’s not coming in until 2025.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

tachograph:
I’m a little surprised it’s not coming in until 2025.

Election due…soonish?

Actually putting taxes up now would have an effect on voters. Merely saying they are going up will create stories that are soon forgotten.
When the money really goes from our accounts it`ll be the next Gov that gets the blame.

Franglais:

stu675:
All at £165 p.a.

stu675:

Franglais:

stu675:
All at £165 p.a.

Electric cars have to pay road tax from 2025 | carwow

Ta. From your link:
“But it’s not just new EVs that will have to pay road tax from 2025: electric cars first registered from April 2017 will have the £165 fee applied to them retrospectively, ending the exemption they had previously benefited from.”

Very badly written piece, IMHO.
It should be saying that the tax will be applied to them, from 2025, even if it wasn`t applicable when they were first reg in 2017, but should not suggest that the tax will be charged and claimed retrospectively.
How could any Gov charge road tax for a vehicle that someone had possibly sold years previously!?

I think I misunderstood what was being said, from 2025 road tax may be applied to all EVs first registered from 2017.

I’m not sure I’d call that retrospective but…

I don’t think it’s badly written at all. Maybe I was just being overly sensational in my reporting, but I did understand it will obviously only be an annual tax effective from 2025. However backdating it to apply to cars since 2017 is a stark departure from how ved has operated up to now. There were big changes in rates in 2006 and 2017, but at least you knew where you stood buying a car aged before those dates the tax rates have not changed substantially.

Much better reporting on car wow compared with the BBC that just states “new cars” the ■■■■■■■ lying scum. "It means anyone buying a new car"Electric car drivers must pay tax from 2025 - BBC News

And why not? It makes perfect sense that all powered vehicles using the highway should be subject to road tax for the upkeep of said roads.

The stark reality that very little of the revenue sees what it was originally intended for is a discussion for another time.

stu675:
I don’t think it’s badly written at all. Maybe I was just being overly sensational in my reporting, but I did understand it will obviously only be an annual tax effective from 2025. However backdating it to apply to cars since 2017 is a stark departure from how ved has operated up to now. There were big changes in rates in 2006 and 2017, but at least you knew where you stood buying a car aged before those dates the tax rates have not changed substantially.

Much better reporting on car wow compared with the BBC that just states “new cars” the [zb] lying scum. "It means anyone buying a new car"Electric car drivers must pay tax from 2025 - BBC News

Oh, so it`s “lying **** scum” as opposed to “maybe just being overly sensational”, is it? :smiley:

stu675:

Much better reporting on car wow compared with the BBC that just states “new cars” the [zb] lying scum. "It means anyone buying a new car"Electric car drivers must pay tax from 2025 - BBC News

I well remember the changes in 2006, mainly the high rate bands and yes they did back date to 2001, which saw many people suddenly selling off their highest rated cars.
This plan lasted a few weeks or months only till the reaction forced them into a rethink, hence why high VED rated cars regd before Mrach 23rd 2006 are easy to sell and ones regd after that date need to be heavily discounted.

An anecdote for you.
Around that time i was looking for another car, spotted a 55 plate Subaru Outback H6 (would qualify high rate VED) for sale privately in an exclusive area, it was perfect low miles and fairly priced, rang the bloke only to be told he’d just sold it, he was a very well spoken sort of fellow, almost Jacob Rees-Mogg standard of public school English, he said keep looking there’ll be lots of these for sale in a week or so, odd thing to say i thought at the time…about a week later the backdating of top rate to 2001 was announced, Mr Posh was well and pre informed, as i said a few weeks later the backdating was cancelled anyway.

I suspect existing battery cars won’t be backdated for VED charges, that would be most unfair to people who bought the things in good faith and i doubt it will happen, quite right battery cars should come with all the tax penalties other vehicles have but you can hardly backdate legislation including taxes to suit an agenda, if they did backdate this what else could they dream up…i would say they’d never be trusted again, but politicians of all hues have gained the distrust of entire swathes of the population thats awake.

I’m not against paying my share of road tax to use the road network but what an absolute bonkers system they’ve come up with :open_mouth: How on earth can you have an increase in VED for electric zero emission cars & still have a ratings system in place that is based purely on CO2 emissions?

Good that those that can afford very expensive and heavy new electric vehicles will now have to contribute towards the cost of using the roads just like us lesser plebs running all we can afford well used ICE vehicles, very good for equality that Franglais!

The best solution would be to do away with VED altogether and replace it with a pay as you drive pricing system that could be done easily with the DVLA all seeing database and black box technology.

lancpudn:
I’m not against paying my share of road tax to use the road network but what an absolute bonkers system they’ve come up with :open_mouth: How on earth can you have an increase in VED for electric zero emission cars & still have a ratings system in place that is based purely on CO2 emissions?

The fact that even the government doesn’t actually believe the lie that CO2 cooked Venus but froze Mars.
Might explain it.

bigstraight6:
Good that those that can afford very expensive and heavy new electric vehicles will now have to contribute towards the cost of using the roads just like us lesser plebs running all we can afford well used ICE vehicles, very good for equality that Franglais!

The best solution would be to do away with VED altogether and replace it with a pay as you drive pricing system that could be done easily with the DVLA all seeing database and black box technology.

Do you really believe that the scammers running the country wouldn’t take advantage of the change to impose a massive tax rise pro rata.
Bearing in mind that fuel tax is the elephant in the room not VED.Good luck with 50p per kWh + road fuel duty and 20% VAT.That will give the EV freeloaders something to moan about.

bigstraight6:

Don’t worry cars will be run on a subscription service.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

lancpudn:

Well…yes…
Road tax…based on distance covered?..type of road? (m-way or local road??)
And
CO2 emitted tax…polluter pays…simply a fuel tax?

What am I missing?

Franglais:

lancpudn:

Well…yes…
Road tax…based on distance covered?..type of road? (m-way or local road??)
And
CO2 emitted tax…polluter pays…simply a fuel tax?

What am I missing?

Those are still in the proposal stage & certainly wont be seen this side of 2025. The VED system is still run on a emission basis polluter pays regardless of where & when you drive.

The government will be letting themselves be wide open to court action for not keeping to the netzero, decarbonisation of UK transport,environmental act, Climate lawyers haven’t lost a high court case yet against the UK government. Every man & his dog will be taking them to the high court for future high emissions & not least the ZEV mandate at the last COP 26 to reduce emissions on a YOY basis from tailpipes & to encourage all ICE drivers out of combustion engines into EV’s. The ink is still wet on that one.

You’re going to end up with a situation in 2025 whereas a ICE vehicle in a certain category will be paying £30/year VED & an EV paying the £165/year. Until those telematic three tier VED road pricing proposals are announced we’re still governed by an emission system where the polluter pays.

The latest from the centre for policy studies has been proposing new vehicle taxation measures 'Pay-as-you-drive, Congestion pricing, flat rate per mile charging collected monthly by direct debit, A free mileage allowance for every motorist with more mileage allowance for people living in the countryside over urban areas. ZEV’s will pay significantly less than petrol & diesel cars.

From chapter 4 page 45 on this pdf ‘The future of driving’ cps.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 … RIVING.pdf