Road Pro cooker question

Has anyone used one of these cookers?

Are they any good?

Brilliant. Though I have a £20 Amazon version. Great for reheating ready meals etc. Search ‘heated lunchbox’ to find on Amazon

switchlogic:
Brilliant. Though I have a £20 Amazon version. Great for reheating ready meals etc. Search ‘heated lunchbox’ to find on Amazon

Cheers Luke. I feel a purchase coming on.

I’m new to HGV so don’t want to waste £ on rubbish that I don’t need.

P.S Thanks for all the cooking and tramping vids you’ve done over the years. A big inspiration for me going down the HGV route.

switchlogic:
Search ‘heated lunchbox’ to find on Amazon

I dare not search for a heated lunchbox on google, I’ll leave that for DipperDave

You could just buy a 300w 24v inverter for about £25 & a 1.5 litre slow cooker for £10, does the same thing plus allows you to use the inverter for TV, laptop etc.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Justream:

Are they any good?

How do you cook on that , wont it melt

I’ve got one! :sunglasses:

Only because we’re not allowed any kind of gas cylinders in the cab or lockers! :frowning:

I should have bought one years ago, but never knew about them… :blush:

malcolmgbell:

Justream:

Are they any good?

How do you cook on that , wont it melt

You use them foil takeaway trays in them.

They’re more a reheater, than an out right cooker.

Batch cook at home, portion up into the trays and off you go… :sunglasses:

How long do they take to heat a stew through? Day man but working hours that dont get me home for tea, so tend to eat a lot of crap, package sandwiches, pies, mc,BK,kfc etc. Start 08.45 and not usually finishing til past 9 so by the time I get home I dont fancy cooking a decent meal and missed “tea time” anyway. Would be nice to have something decent bubbling away for a 15min poa about 18.00 :wink: :smiley: After Ive picked up a nice bit of crusty bread from store obviously :smiley:

Fuzrat:
How long do they take to heat a stew through? Day man but working hours that dont get me home for tea, so tend to eat a lot of crap, package sandwiches, pies, mc,BK,kfc etc. Start 08.45 and not usually finishing til past 9 so by the time I get home I dont fancy cooking a decent meal and missed “tea time” anyway. Would be nice to have something decent bubbling away for a 15min poa about 18.00 :wink: :smiley: After Ive picked up a nice bit of crusty bread from store obviously :smiley:

Heats up a meal in about an hour so I just pop it on and let it heat while driving

Justream:
P.S Thanks for all the cooking and tramping vids you’ve done over the years. A big inspiration for me going down the HGV route.

Why thank you! I hope it lives up to expectations! (Don’t listen to 90% of what you hear from other drivers)

switchlogic:

Fuzrat:

Heats up a meal in about an hour so I just pop it on and let it heat while driving

Sounds great, thanks for that :smiley:

There appears to be several versions, inc 12v, and slightly more expensive 24v/240v however some of the spec don’t fully show the amps reqd, and my concern is wether it might overload the feed from the 12/24v cigarette socket and cause a meltdown. Can anyone suggest the best one to get without using an inverter

peirre:
There appears to be several versions, inc 12v, and slightly more expensive 24v/240v however some of the spec don’t fully show the amps reqd, and my concern is wether it might overload the feed from the 12/24v cigarette socket and cause a meltdown. Can anyone suggest the best one to get without using an inverter

I have not got one or used one but after reading what was written on here had a look on Amazon and ebay. Whatever the voltage they all, except for the roadpro, seem to be about 45watts, which equates to under 2amps on 24v (4amps on 12v) so I think that is well within a cigarette lighter socket limit, which I think are OK for 8amps continuous in general, probably fused at 10 or 15 ? I do not think you will gain anything by using an inverter because all the “cooker / ■■■■■■■” will probably do is reduce it down to 24v again to use the same heating coil.
The roadpro one says it draws 12A at 12V, so it’s a lot more powerful at 144W, but I could not find the details for a 24v model. 12A continuous sounds heavy for a cigarette lighter socket.

This is the cheap one me and my Dad use

Car Electric Heating Lunch Box 12V / 220v 2 in1 Home Electric Thermal Lunch Box Food Heater Warmer for Heat Preservation,Office, School, Traveling amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SBNFGCC/ … BDbZJ0QVJT

And used in a variety of sockets with no ill effect. One of my favorite meals to make in it is a tin of stewed steak, tin of potatoes and a small tin of peas, pop in, mix up, Heat for an hour and hey presto, delicious dinner an hour later with a spot of bread and butter.

Oh, another IMPORTANT tip! The metal tray thats inside is stainless steel but NOT non stick so either heat food in tray it’s in if ready meal (won’t melt), buy tin takeaway style trays that fit or do as I do and line the tray with foil before popping the food in. It’s a ■■■■■ to clean otherwise!

switchlogic:

Justream:

Why thank you! I hope it lives up to expectations! (Don’t listen to 90% of what you hear from other drivers)

Your welcome. Bit of a baptism of fire this first week as I’ve got 1 1/2 hr drive total there n back home after 15hr days but I’m enjoying it. Will be pukka once I get my own waggon and start out on my own tramping 4 on 4 off. Will be buying some goodies this weekend.

Think I’m a bit spoiled with the Scania V8 Ive got :smiley: loads of power and a great sound.