Road closure South Maidstone advance warning

The signs have gone up announcing the dates for the impending major road repairs to Willington Street in Maidstone.

This road, which links the A20 with the A274 Sutton rd, is likely to be closed for periods from 24 July until the beginning of September. This is a very popular route from J7 M20 to Park Wood industrial estate and to a large part of Kent to the south and south east of Maidstone.

The diversion will be from J6 M20 via the A229 and through the town centre, this is likely to add about 30 minutes each way to journey times, according to the time of day.

Do not even think about using the obvious J8 M20 and the B2163 through Leeds Village, this has a 17t weight limit which is likely to be strictly enforced.

For those looking at a map and pondering, there is a 7.5t weight limit through and around Yalding which means that access via J3 M20 and the B2016 Seven Mile Lane, or J4 M20 and the A228 are also non starters.

It is possible to access Tenterden by continuing to J9 M20 and using the A28 via Bethersden, however there are some very unfriendly almost-blind bends on this road where one suddenly meets another artic head on.

cav551:
Do not even think about using the obvious J8 M20 and the B2163 through Leeds Village, this has a 17t weight limit which is likely to be strictly enforced.

I went down there in a 17T and it’s very tight. Didn’t help meeting a flip flop coming towards me in a 44ton artic. Even though I was legal, I wouldn’t go that way again.

m1cks:

cav551:

I went down there in a 17T and it’s very tight. Didn’t help meeting a flip flop coming towards me in a 44ton artic. Even though I was legal, I wouldn’t go that way again.

Before the weight limit was put in I used to go through there a lot with an artic. Used to get interesting when you met one of locks tankers going the other way.

Bumping to the top for the benefit of those loading in the coming days for deliveries to the south of Maidstone.

Willington street is closed. This started this morning. The only HGV route is via the town centre from M20 J6