Road closed but you can still drive through

So near where I live there is junction that is shut as they do some major works there. The signed diversion is a long way round, but there is another much shorter way you can go. This road has road closed signs up and no through road signs, but you can physically drive through that way. They have to have it open as there’s a couple of houses in the road. The road wouldn’t be suitable for the official diversion as it’s too narrow. Is it an offence to drive down a road that’s closed, even though you physically can? I know it would take a very bored cooper to do anything, but ya know. I’m not talking about going down in a truck by the way. Just in a car.

DickyNick:
So near where I live there is junction that is shut as they do some major works there. The signed diversion is a long way round, but there is another much shorter way you can go. This road has road closed signs up and no through road signs, but you can physically drive through that way. They have to have it open as there’s a couple of houses in the road. The road wouldn’t be suitable for the official diversion as it’s too narrow. Is it an offence to drive down a road that’s closed, even though you physically can? I know it would take a very bored cooper to do anything, but ya know. I’m not talking about going down in a truck by the way. Just in a car.

This is the problem with a lot of drivers.They think they can ignore signs and do what they want just because they can’t see a problem.

centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/t … types.aspx

Disobeying TROs (Traffic Regulation Orders) will attract fines points etc. If properly set up through the relevant local Highway Authority, a TTRO (Temporary TRO) will be just as valid, so it`ll be the same penalties.

jakethesnake:

DickyNick:

This is the problem with a lot of drivers.They think they can ignore signs and do what they want just because they can’t see a problem.

I agree. All the taxi drivers are still going through the way that’s closed. I suspect the road is only closed to discourage people using it as the proper diversion because if everyone did then it would cause a problem. There’s no other safety reason as the why it’s shut. Maybe the local council need to be told it’s being ignored…if I have to go round everyone should be

crack on drive.
your going through the sign,then turning off?
no problemo…batter on.

DickyNick:

jakethesnake:

DickyNick:

I agree. All the taxi drivers are still going through the way that’s closed. I suspect the road is only closed to discourage people using it as the proper diversion because if everyone did then it would cause a problem. There’s no other safety reason as the why it’s shut. Maybe the local council need to be told it’s being ignored…if I have to go round everyone should be

Ha, taxi drivers but some of them they are above the law like plenty others on the road. :wink:

I work for a utilities company,and we have frequent road closures where we are working.
Sometimes people are able to squeeze through,and if it’s a long diversion we’ll happily let them,but other times it Will be completely closed ,and the amount of people that come flying past and insist they only have to get to “just the other side” is unreal.
A few weeks back in Borehamwood I’d just moved the cones to get the lorry in when a woman in a Audi 4x4 came flying past(I mean 60 mph plus) past all the signs and barriers and nearly drove straight into a great big hole!!
Sometimes the road is actually closed for a reason.
But as to the OP’s question ,you would be very unlucky and very unlikely to get done for sneaking through :sunglasses:

Yeah well the work isn’t being done on the road that’s closed. I can only see it’s closed because as I say it would be an unsuitable diversion if everyone did it. If work was being done on that road and it was closed for that reason I wouldn’t even consider it.

So is the answer yes it technically is a traffic offence? But let’s you face you ain’t going to get done for it…

DickyNick:
So is the answer yes it technically is a traffic offence? But let’s you face you ain’t going to get done for it…

Famous last words … maybe :slight_smile:

I know it would take a very bored cooper to do anything,

Are you saying you would need a performance enhanced Mini to get through?
A friend of mine had a Mini Cooper Works on demo a few years back, jeez talk about a pocket rocket! this thing could give some so called performance cars a hard time

DickyNick:
I know it would take a very bored cooper to do anything, but ya know.

What’s the barrel maker going to do you for?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

When the new a16 near Spalding opened and then got closed some people used it as you could get through part of it and the was a bit in the local paper about if the road is closed your insurance is invalidated as you have disobeyed traffic signs.

Don’t know if that’s true or they just wanted to stop people from cutting through

kcrussell25:
When the new a16 near Spalding opened and then got closed some people used it as you could get through part of it and the was a bit in the local paper about if the road is closed your insurance is invalidated as you have disobeyed traffic signs.

Don’t know if that’s true or they just wanted to stop people from cutting through

Yes it does happen.

DickyNick:
I can only see it’s closed because as I say it would be an unsuitable diversion if everyone did it.

So if you decide to use it what’s to stop everybody using the road, which in your own words is unsuitable route for the diversion? :confused:

I know people near here have had problems with insurance when they’ve gone through a road closed due to a local flooded ford (river not car). Its set by the council so logged by them.

Its complicated by whether you can claim for that anyway, but some insurers have used the road closed to try to disallow the claims which happen several times a year. (Some locals are very dumb!)

I assume the same would apply for other road closures.

Is this near the A50■■

trevHCS:
I know people near here have had problems with insurance when they’ve gone through a road closed due to a local flooded ford (river not car). Its set by the council so logged by them.

Its complicated by whether you can claim for that anyway, but some insurers have used the road closed to try to disallow the claims which happen several times a year. (Some locals are very dumb!)

I assume the same would apply for other road closures.

Insurance companies will find anything that is wrong to avoid paying out these days especially when you have a cheap deal.Maybe cheap at the time but it can all catch up with you later on if all is not correct.

No offence is committed by driving past “Road Closed” signs (unless they are accompanied by proper red circular “No Entry” signs). The only offence would be contravening the relevant Traffic Order, which would not earn you points/endorsement. If there were proper “No Entry” signs (and they had been correctly and lawfully sited) then you could be prosecuted for contravening them, which would carry points/endorsement.

As for the chances of you being nicked? Under normal circumstances, virtually zero - But if some residents’ group has the ear of the local police chief things could be different. The question you’ve got to ask yourself is “Do I feel lucky?” Well - do ya??

No offence is committed by driving past “Road Closed” signs (unless they are accompanied by proper red circular “No Entry” signs).

In some cases that may be true but if there is a Police sign then an offence will be commited.

jakethesnake:
No offence is committed by driving past “Road Closed” signs (unless they are accompanied by proper red circular “No Entry” signs).

In some cases that may be true but if there is a Police sign then an offence will be commited.

But only for a maximum of seven days :wink: