Road check 2010?

What happened to it ?
72 hours of DOT checks across the entire USA and NY is normally the toughest, I never saw one DOT cop the hwole time :question:

Oh it was on, Pat. The entire province of Alberta had every scale open and checking, as did Manitoba. Saskatchewan are still trying to rebuild their scales so they had mobile units out.

I was fortunate. I had a recent inspection sticker up so they green lighted me.

Most the scales ive seen in alberta are open most the day on a regular day. Only exception is the one at the end of my road, the Ardrossan scales. Kinda glad im on city work now and dont have to bother with logbooks and scales anymore :smiley::smiley:

Clifton park on I-87 is notorious for odd hours and keen DOT cops, I-89 near Colchester VT is about the same, but I never saw any sign of any DOT anywhere along my regular routes all week … not that I’m complaining mind, I have nothing to hide, we run legal in every aspect and even get paid for such inspections when we get the all clear, $100 for a full inspection and $75 for a mid grade one.

It`s the lost time I begrudge really. After all, I am a law abiding citizen going about my commerce… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I started in Mississippi on Tues am, 1st scale open was in Arkansas north of West Memphis, crossed it & the guy wasn’t even in the chair! Loaded in Arkansas & headed west & then north into Missouri & they were all closed, Iowa were the same, the big super coop in South Dakota had me run over the scale but they were busy with some school buses so I got another green light, bottom one in North Dakota was rammed out but I rolled straight through & it was ■■■■■■■ down when I went through Emerson so got another green light :wink:

I get a bonus for good inspections too & I never cross a scale with a dodgy book so have nothing to fear from them, our trucks are in top notch condition & company policy is to scale every load at the nearest CAT scale, so never have to worry about them, we have pre pass & as we have an excellent safety rating (in the top 3% of all the companies in North America) a scale usually just means a green light & a beep from the pre pass, except in Minnesota, who are just a BOCs :laughing:

I don’t know what all the fuss about this road check is about, if you do a proper pre trip & run your logs properly (you write them yourself, how stupid are you if you incriminate yourself?) then you have nothing to worry about :wink:

Had no bother in the 72 hr blitz, my trouble all started the day after it all as i totally missed the scale on hwy16 coming out of Edmonton :blush:
Mr DOT was none too impressed when he finally caught up with me a good 8 mile down the road :laughing:
Had to follow him back and after a check of everything with no problems he very kindly let make a donation of $230 to the DOT christmas party fund
Not one of my better days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dont know if everywhere else was the same, but the DOT have been active all over the Edmonton region today. Unfortunately I had my first run in with them today. They did a roadside pull, and did a level 3 inspection, and slammed me with a ticket for $115 for not wearing my seatbelt (too short and it wasnt my regular truck, my truck belt is long enough). Im hoping work will pay the ticket as I asked them to do something about the seatbelt in the truck i was driving today a few months ago.

On another note, The relief driver managed to zb my truck up last week while i was on vacation. Both the rear shock absorbers have broken, and now because they are broken, its damaged the air-ride self leveling mechanism. Im trying to bribe the mechanics with beer, to get them to fix my truck quicker lol

I havent seen much activity at all. In the last 2 weeks have been from New Brunswick to Calgary, Calgary to Chicago then a load from Indianapolis to Prince Edward Island. Dumped that on Thursday and reloaded in Nova Scotia for Montana and am currently in the J at South Beloit. In all those miles I was scaled in Airdrie, Once in Pennsylvania, Twice on P.E.I. and once at Moncton. No inspections, just weighed and off.
Maybe I just look honest?

I think that even during the blitz they still target carriers with a bad safety rating, if yours is good & the truck looks in reasonable shape then you’re getting a green light.

When I cross a scale I always take my sunglasses off & drop the window on whichever side they’re on, if it’s at night I switch off my headlamps & flick on the interior lights, I always give em a wave too, they mostly wave back & then off I go on my merry way :wink:

newmercman:
if it’s at night I switch off my headlamps & flick on the interior lights, :

I come across your sort when i worked nights :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: maybe come is the wrong word to use :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nianiamh:

newmercman:
if it’s at night I switch off my headlamps & flick on the interior lights, :

I come across your sort when i worked nights :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: maybe come is the wrong word to use :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: