RM this Christmas

The old rules used to be “do 13+ weeks, and get parity pay” (used to be about £14.54ph but gone up by now I guess…)

My question now is “Now that they are privatised, have they dropped the rule regarding having to do 13 weeks to qualify on agency?”

You see, unless you work for someone like Manpower, you’re never going to get anything beyond the 6 weeks mid-November-Jan 2nd.
It seems a bit odd if RM are expecting their Christmas drivers to do their “5 from 7” commitment, and expect to pay the flat usual agency rate for it… :confused:

Replies from anyone who has worked/is working in RM as a sub rather than via Manpower or whoever the bignob agency is around their way…
I heard good things about Chelmsford last year, and I hear that Manpower have lost the contract at PRDC (stonebridge park) so I’m sure there’s some fire to go with the smoke I’m seeing… :slight_smile:

Agency Workers Rights have changed the rules to qualify down to 12 weeks unless the agency use the Swedish Derogation.

The last time I worked on RM Hatfield, Manpower had lost the entire London area to Pertemps with a nice paycut to go with it. They still had plenty of Manpower drivers in as Pertemps couldn’t cover the shifts. That was a year or so ago and IIRC the Pertemps fella said they were going to go national sometime in the near future.

That’s a bit dumbarse - desperately short of drivers, so they think they are going to get some off manpower by bidding LESS? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused:

As far as I know, RM are not very keen on the 9 points halfway house set… That’s what the vetting is there to stop.
It’s annoying everyone even already on the books has apparently got to do a “new” assessment in the next few days to get a piece of this pie - along with the commitment for “5 from 7”, but no mention of what the “new going rate” is…

What are pertemps, Manpower & other agencies actually offering in your area? :question:

Winseer:
That’s a bit dumbarse - desperately short of drivers, so they think they are going to get some off manpower by bidding LESS? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused:

As far as I know, RM are not very keen on the 9 points halfway house set… That’s what the vetting is there to stop.
It’s annoying everyone even already on the books has apparently got to do a “new” assessment in the next few days to get a piece of this pie - along with the commitment for “5 from 7”, but no mention of what the “new going rate” is…

What are pertemps, Manpower & other agencies actually offering in your area? :question:

Don’t know much about agency work but Pertemps were advertising in the KM Extra last week for drivers up to £19.00/hr depending on shift for RM inter depot trunking,told a couple of retired mates who do odd shifts on overnight pallet firms about it, they said its just to entice you to register with them then they pester you with phone calls,but its all £8.00-£10.00/hr night work!

splitshift:

Winseer:

Don’t know much about agency work but Pertemps were advertising in the KM Extra last week for drivers up to £19.00/hr depending on shift for RM inter depot trunking,told a couple of retired mates who do odd shifts on overnight pallet firms about it, they said its just to entice you to register with them then they pester you with phone calls,but its all £8.00-£10.00/hr night work!

I would imagine that the £19ph applies to Sunday into Monday bank holiday weekend shifts AND is only after you’ve done your 13 weeks there to qualify for parity pay.

Fat chance of you getting a single week’s work come January - same as everywhere else! Thus, the January work famine is what the misleading agency quoted £19ph rate doesn’t tell you. Like the old “snakeoil” ads of old…

Live to age 100 elixir must be applied to the ■■■■■ by a 20 year old girl to work.”

Yes, that looks like this is the type of ad that’s been enticing me then… Yep, I couldn’t actually find the £19ph in print either, hence this thread.
So Pertemps are a bunch of liars then - the agency that everyone else warns us all about?
I’ll do some odd shifts at the normal rates with the agency I’m already with that’s subbing from manpower then. No 5from7 for me without that big high rate carrot though. :smiling_imp:

I’d Best stay put as a sub then, because I got turned away by Manpower on the basis of them being flooded out with ex-9elms drivers about a year ago. :frowning:

Winseer:

splitshift:

Winseer:

I would imagine that the £19ph applies to Sunday into Monday bank holiday weekend shifts AND is only after you’ve done your 13 weeks there to qualify for parity pay.

Fat chance of you getting a single week’s work come January - same as everywhere else! Thus, the January work famine is what the misleading agency quoted £19ph rate doesn’t tell you. Like the old “snakeoil” ads of old…

Live to age 100 elixir must be applied to the ■■■■■ by a 20 year old girl to work.”

Yes, that looks like this is the type of ad that’s been enticing me then… Yep, I couldn’t actually find the £19ph in print either, hence this thread.
So Pertemps are a bunch of liars then - the agency that everyone else warns us all about?
I’ll do some odd shifts at the normal rates with the agency I’m already with that’s subbing from manpower then. No 5from7 for me without that big high rate carrot though. :smiling_imp:

I’d Best stay put as a sub then, because I got turned away by Manpower on the basis of them being flooded out with ex-9elms drivers about a year ago. :frowning:

I start for RM next Tuesday - through Pertemps. I have the wage rates right in front of me now. The highest hourly rate on there is £18.23 per hour for nights. The lowest hourly rate on there is £14.65.

Of course, come January it drops to about £9-£10 per hour, unless/until you have 13 weeks or more service, at which point the higher rates apply.

Hope this helps.

Why do you refuse to believe these rates exist? On previous threads people have even posted pictures of pay slips showing the amount in black and white. You’re starting to sound like a broken record with an axe to grind just because you no longer work for them.
Maybe a user name change to Whine and Sneer instead because it’s all your posts seem to do.

To those starting with RM over christmas, good luck and enjoy it

m1cks:
Why do you refuse to believe these rates exist? On previous threads people have even posted pictures of pay slips showing the amount in black and white. You’re starting to sound like a broken record with an axe to grind just because you no longer work for them.
Maybe a user name change to Whine and Sneer instead because it’s all your posts seem to do.

To those starting with RM over christmas, good luck and enjoy it

Change his name to: Jealous.

Fill your boots! Probably go out to contract now it’s privatised.

I’m not refusing to believe such rates exist - I just can’t work out how pertemps and (maybe other non-manpower agencies) can come in, underbid manpower, and then pay rates like have been stated on this thread straight out the gate for the month of December…

Wait 13 weeks until such rates apply, including across Christmas” made some sense. “Over £15 for first-time-outers in December and then dropping to £10 in January” does not.

My suspicion, rather than any jealousy, is that those working from scratch in December might find they don’t actually get the higher rates until week 13 of their service, by which point it’s February, and the work has long since dried up, unless you are at one of the offices massively short of drivers ongoing… With the number paid off under MTSF, including myself, I can’t see how they can run a shortage without re-recruiting again.

I’m not looking for full time work anyway until at least 2018. Jealousy doesn’t come into it. If anything, I’m surprised there are not more jealous of Me! :grimacing:

My original puzzlement is “If manpower now have their books full of drivers”, and have yet lost the contract in some areas to pertemps, then what the hell are pertemps offering that juices it all up from RM’s point of view? At face value, it looks like everyone concerned is standing on the street corners selling ten pound notes for a fiver… Oh wait, that was the privatisation! :unamused:

I’ll be working there over December like everyone else… Low rate=2 weekend days per week will do me, high rate=fill my boots with this 5 from 7 deal like so many others intend doing… :sunglasses:

The reason it’s a higher rate at Xmas is because of the additional demand for drivers by many firms (mostly supermarkets)
They want drivers who are there long enough to learn the job instead of seeing a new face everyday = someone new to show the ropes. In order to retain drivers while the work is plenty, they offer more. When demand dies down then they pay less. It’s economics in its simplest form.
There are many drivers who started during the Xmas pressure and have stayed ever since. There has also been recruitment of agency drivers in quite a few areas over the past year so they have been taking staff on.