RIP Peter G Bowker

It saddens me greatly to say that Peter Bowker passed away at the weekend.

I know many of you will remember him, or at least his companies and his lorries… Peter G Bowker Ltd, Leslie Trucking, Terbow Transport, Freelance Trading and Bridgnorth Transport Company (which is owned and run by his Son).
To steal the words of a fellow TNUK member, Peter was Boss, Mentor and Friend. He helped many many people forge their careers as HGV drivers and in his own way was one of the nicest people in Road Haulage.

I, for one, will sorely miss him.

Goodnight Uncle Peter, God Bless. ■■

Also posted in the Old Gits forum.

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds as if he was a lovely man.

albion:
I’m sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds as if he was a lovely man.

Thank you. He was.

Did his wagons ( black Scanias) used to load out of McBrides at Middleton in the pre Stobart era?

Did his wagons ( black Scanias) used to load out of McBrides at Middleton in the pre Stobart era?

Gardner6LYT:

Yes they did… he had his fingers in many pies over the years…

R.I.P Peter sounds like the man was a ledge :sunglasses:

tango boy:

Quite…
Been in the Industry all his life, started off driving for his father at Bowker Brothers then started on his own, never took a car test, the only driving test he took was in a lorry… Knew all the scams…back in the day, before haulage was logistics, and when trucks were lorries, he was a fair sized player in the game… Got involved with the RHA, and the RTITB… all that old school stuff…Good old days…

Kate:

tango boy:

Quite…
Been in the Industry all his life, started off driving for his father at Bowker Brothers then started on his own, never took a car test, the only driving test he took was in a lorry… Knew all the scams…back in the day, before haulage was logistics, and when trucks were lorries, he was a fair sized player in the game… Got involved with the RHA, and the RTITB… all that old school stuff…Good old days…

The old school are the best!

tango boy:

Kate:

tango boy:

Quite…

Sure is… I actually miss the good old days…

tango boy:

Kate:

tango boy:

Quite…

agree with that tango boy,enjoyed those days when out with my dad from the age of six onwards,RIP peter

Never knew the man personally but knew of the company and had great respect for him and the company, Sincere condolences to his family and friends, RIP…

Ossie

Sad loss, many years ago we used to load back from Hilltop in Bridgenorth at least twice a week, with aluminium profiles for partition walls our own gear( we was own account) on the way into Bridgenorth I had a wheel bearing overheat and the hub collapsed on the trailer. Despite us never having been a Bowker customer Hilltop asked and got us a lend of a 40 foot off Bowkers to get the load back to London ( we didn’t hold much stock it was all “just in time” ). No money changed hands it was a pure good hearted lend…, needless to say when we changed our running arrangements and needed a haulier to do the twice weekly run from Bridgenorth to Peckham Bowkers got the job, I doubt if the drivers appreciated it tho. Good honest firm run by an old school haulier. another one of the good guys gone :frowning:

Sorry to here this

Condolences to you & your family ■■■

Rikki-UK:
Sad loss, many years ago we used to load back from Hilltop in Bridgenorth at least twice a week, with aluminium profiles for partition walls our own gear( we was own account) on the way into Bridgenorth I had a wheel bearing overheat and the hub collapsed on the trailer. Despite us never having been a Bowker customer Hilltop asked and got us a lend of a 40 foot off Bowkers to get the load back to London ( we didn’t hold much stock it was all “just in time” ). No money changed hands it was a pure good hearted lend…, needless to say when we changed our running arrangements and needed a haulier to do the twice weekly run from Bridgenorth to Peckham Bowkers got the job, I doubt if the drivers appreciated it tho. Good honest firm run by an old school haulier. another one of the good guys gone :frowning:

Thank you Rikki…

This sums up the Old Man to a tee…

Thank you all for taking the time to convey your thoughts, I shall be sure to pass them on to the rest of the Family