rip off uk

£50 to park overnight at truckstop just offf j26 of m25 welcome to rip of britain.

i havent done nights out for about a year now. but my mate has just strted tramping asked how its going he said great stopped at j26 m25 cost him £56 via snap.
i almsot choked. didnt belive him so i looked and there website says reserve your parking for £50.
what a joke cant see how they can justify there price. as they have no outgoings only a securirty guard if they have one on minmum wage.
wish hauilage companys would stand up boycot these places

When you drive past it’s always full, they put the price up a while ago so I’m sure it will keep going up till they notice empty spaces.

edd1974:
£50 to park overnight at truckstop just offf j26 of m25 welcome to rip of britain.

i havent done nights out for about a year now. but my mate has just strted tramping asked how its going he said great stopped at j26 m25 cost him £56 via snap.
i almsot choked. didnt belive him so i looked and there website says reserve your parking for £50.
what a joke cant see how they can justify there price. as they have no outgoings only a securirty guard if they have one on minmum wage.

Ain’t been down that way for a while (thank Christ) but afaik they have the monopoly in that area, so it’s either park there or struggle to find an alternative.
I agree with you btw,.I certainly ain’t justifying it.
I’d never do it myself and never have, never will…, but you can kinda get while some turn to vandalism at these type of rip off ■■■■ holes.

edd1974:

Should of stopped at South Mimms then. £37 with a £10 voucher. Yes it’s still a rip off. But not as much as jnct 26 is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

edd1974:

If the operators rent the land then the rent will be thousands of pounds per week, and whether they do or don’t then the business rates will be thousands of pounds per week. Their energy bill is probably well over £100,000 per year.

So I’m not sure about “no outgoings”.

It is in the nature of a free market economy that if someone starts a business which makes an absolute fortune, that someone else will open a copycat model just down the road. And no-one seems to have.

But in any event, your mate won’t have had to pay it himself if it’s on Snap so why is he bothered?

Nozza:

edd1974:

Should of stopped at South Mimms then. £37 with a £10 voucher. Yes it’s still a rip off. But not as much as jnct 26 is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They more than halved the parking places down threre at a stroke about 15 yrs ago when I used to run in and out of Purfleet, by stopping you parking on the big Thurrock estate, retail park, Tesco’s and the surrounding areas,.and clamping you if you did. :imp:

edd1974:
as they have no outgoings only a securirty guard if they have one on minmum wage.

I’d think there’s also eletricity, tax, ground maintenance, tear & repair (tarmac/pavements), rent (?) or loan repayment interest or a lease of some sort, other costs like cleaning the premises and inside, water, consumables - yeah pennies compared to £50 per truck but still I don’t think they’re '‘free’ to run especially nowadays when people spend more on fuel/energy/groceries I imagine (I don’t visit services) they’re selling less stuff and are trying to make up for it by jacking up parking fees as they know trucks have to park it’s not a choice for them

Harry Monk:
It is in the nature of a free market economy that if someone starts a business which makes an absolute fortune, that someone else will open a copycat model just down the road. And no-one seems to have.

Fair point but the spaces for services along the M-way are limited and I imagine heavily regulated / subject to 1000s of permits

Here’s a story about the landlady of a village pub who is shutting up shop because her gas and electricity bill has risen to £112,000 a year.

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … -857571599

I’m not taking one side or the other here, but to say that a business such as the J26 truckstop has no overheads other than a security guard on minimum wage is simply misguided.

Its funny when fellas see their government doubling the money supply in 2 years, with no increase in productivity, output and consumption, and expect all prices not to double. Now everyone sees what great good was lockdown and furlough scheme! Print baby print it! ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ ad infinitum

Have any of you actually parked there?
The places is waste land full pot holes and mud.
When I last stopped there about year ago with a building in the middle.of.the truck park.
To be fair the food wasn’t to bad .
According to there website they hold night club type events there weekends have a DJ live music etc…
So 50 plus drivers 25 quid night out money that’s 75 .
So obviously company has put there price up to reflect this. Then where ever he’s going to with goods they then have sell the goods for more to cover the costs .
It’s a vicious circle really.
Ii don’t know how transport company’s survive these days esp with cost of fuel.

Isn’t that the one that has an outdoor shower block too?

toonsy:
Isn’t that the one that has an outdoor shower block too?

Yes…

That’s the place. I can’t imagine how Baltic that must feel on a cold January evening.

I stopped there once to sample the food which I thought was over-priced and average to say the least.

yourhavingalarf:
I can’t imagine how Baltic that must feel on a cold January evening.

Have you never heard about the many benefits of deliberate cold exposure - scientifically proven?

mrginge:
When you drive past it’s always full, they put the price up a while ago so I’m sure it will keep going up till they notice empty spaces.

That’s called “Market forces, and charging the highest price at all times that the market will stand”.

I would imagine that the only pro drivers using this J26 facility - are the ones able to claim that back in some way… .You wouldn’t be spending your hard-earned as a private, non-owner driver, surely?

ETS:

yourhavingalarf:
I can’t imagine how Baltic that must feel on a cold January evening.

Have you never heard about the many benefits of deliberate cold exposure - scientifically proven?

Yes.
“Cold” exposure has been studied, and there may be some benefits.
This study
journals.physiology.org/doi/ful … 00934.2020
for instance, mentions “cold” temps around 14 to 6 deg C, and even as low as 8 deg Celcius!

The Baltic in January may be “cold”. It may also see Brass Monkeys looking for a competent welder.

Winseer:
I would imagine that the only pro drivers using this J26 facility - are the ones able to claim that back in some way… .You wouldn’t be spending your hard-earned as a private, non-owner driver, surely?

Therein lies the rub really. If I was unfortunate enough to work for a company who refused to pay what is in essence a 100% tax deductible expense then I’d opt to park in certain hotspots with my fuel tank fully on display.

the maoster:

Winseer:

Therein lies the rub really. If I was unfortunate enough to work for a company who refused to pay what is in essence a 100% tax deductible expense then I’d opt to park in certain hotspots with my fuel tank fully on display.

When I did nights out my Golden Rule was always “Don’t park anywhere near other trucks” :stuck_out_tongue:

If I had to do them now I would just ask the company where they wanted me to park, but I certainly wouldn’t be picking up the tab.