RIP Edwin Shirley

Most will have seem his bright EST trailers outside gigs and at arenas alongside the Transams and Fly by Night rigs.

Transam bought the company a while back.

RIP Edwin :cry:

RIP, another from the old school.

Passed away yesterday i believe! Although he had nothing to do with EST over the last 20 years or so it is good to see Transam still purchasing new stock in Rhubarb n custard so the name will live on!!

Very sad time of the year with people passing away

Rip

“you rock, we roll!”

A good example of a great company ‘mission statement’ from long before the term was invented.

As opposed to

‘delivering today’s pan-European supply-side logistics solutions to industry’

I doubt if even the person who wrote that knows what it means

^^How True!

it’s funny how that slogan has stuck in my mind.

I must have first seen it in the early 1980s in Sheffield: there were 3 or 4 EST trucks behind the Polytechnic, where I was going to see a band.

I can remember the Volvo trucks, the lurid colours (most trucks then seemed to be grey or green), the name and the slogan.

But I can’t remember the band I went to see, the girl I took to see it, or anything else about the evening.

And, no , I didn’t take any drugs or get horribly ■■■■■■ (that I remember, anyway).

Shows the power of a good slogan!

Heard the news today from George Steadman.

RIP Edwin

I still have 2/3 calendars from the late 70,s somewhere throught his trucks were great ,RIP Edwin Shirley

Rip fella.

I heard a rumour years ago that EST started when Edwin himself was in a band and they had problems transporting their equipment to various gigs so his solution was to buy an old Commer van to do it. Apparently he reckoned the lead singer was rubbish and the band were going nowhere so decided he’d make more money transporting other bands stuff around, hence the birth of EST.

Incidentally the singers name was David Bowie! :smiley: :smiley:

Dunno if there was any truth in the rumour I heard, but it’s a lovely story either way.

the maoster:
Rip fella.

I heard a rumour years ago that EST started when Edwin himself was in a band and they had problems transporting their equipment to various gigs so his solution was to buy an old Commer van to do it. Apparently he reckoned the lead singer was rubbish and the band were going nowhere so decided he’d make more money transporting other bands stuff around, hence the birth of EST.

Incidentally the singers name was David Bowie! :smiley: :smiley:

Dunno if there was any truth in the rumour I heard, but it’s a lovely story either way.

Not quite but, not a million miles away.

Go to www.edwinshirley.com to hear an interview he did with BBC Essex about how it all began.

rip Edwin Shirley best name for a trucking company and coulers regards Rowland ward

Did’nt know the bloke but heard some cracking stories about him… R.I.P.

Is Dell Roll still involved. I always thought that was a great name in the music industry.

A friend worked for Edwin Shirley as a lighting and electric guru

RIP Edwin Shirley. my dad used to subby for him years ago.

A name I have seen at gigs since the late 70’s , sad to hear of his passing , but happy that Transam are keeping the name alive .

RIP

RIP Edwin, top fella!

:open_mouth:

sweet truck haul:
Did’nt know the bloke but heard some cracking stories about him… R.I.P.

The mud wrestling 1 :wink:

I only met Edwin a couple of times.
Very sad to hear of his passing.

edwinshirley.com/