Rim sizes?

I’ve had the same wheel changed four times this last week. First was a N/S/F slow puncture, nowt unusual got it fixed. Was at a job the following day and notice it was looking baggy so, I had a closer look at it, was still leaking, bad patch. Took it back they chucked a wheel on from out the garage. Next day a guy on site says “you might have a puncture, looks soft” . Had a look and noticed it wasn’t a 315 they had put on it was a 295, also noticed the rim was a 22.5 x 8.25" as opposed to a 9" that was on before. Went back! They put another wheel on, right size this time. Turns up for shift this morning… Flat! They come out, yet another wheel goes on. No sign of my original! This one has stayed up but the rim again is an 8.25" as opposed to the 9" original. Question I have is. Are the rim sizes that important? I suspect they are but before I go off in the office again, I thought I’d ask the people in the know.

12 replies before it’s locked I reckon.

Yes rim sizes are important. For each specific rim width there’s a size of tyre for it. You can go down one size and up two on the width as I recall so if the correct size for that rim is say 305 you could go down to 295 or up to 325.

The range of sizes for the rims isn’t really what I’m after. The fact that the front rims are now two different sizes is what I’m inquiring about. It has the same tyres on now both 315,80 22.5

Would the wheels have different weights ? If so would the difference have an effect on steering and or handling ?
Just asking.
Regards. John.

Unsprung weight has no difference on handling, just braking and accelerating.

Conor:
Unsprung weight has no difference on handling, just braking and accelerating.

Thanks for that. I think I would still prefer to have identical wheels at each end of the steering axle though.
Regards. John.

The tyre size that should be fitted is on the plating certificate. You should have the same size tyre on both sides of an axle, pretty sure it’s an mot failure if they are different, not sure if it’s a prohibition able problem or fixed penalty, will have to check.

I thought you could go bigger without altering the plate cert but not smaller ?

Prob got a crack on the rim!!!

Yes rim size ie width and offset will affect the steering and handling. It is possible for the wheel or tyre to foul fixed parts of the vehicle on full lock as well as in the straight ahead position.

^^ this is true of the erf e series steel bumper model going from a straight chassis with 11 225 s to 295 s on the plastic bumper model with the splayed chassis and spacers on the stub axle ,longer drop arm studs to prevent the rim fouling the the drop arm .

MOT Fail, and likely a GV9 as well if pulled up… the tyres on any axle should be the same size, so you could have the same size front and rear, different size front and rear, but not different o/s and n/s… id be speaking to the boss, explain the situation and get him to kick a stink up while you return to the tyre cowboys…

HTH

B…

cav551:
Yes rim size ie width and offset will affect the steering and handling. It is possible for the wheel or tyre to foul fixed parts of the vehicle on full lock as well as in the straight ahead position.

Yes thanks for that. I thought that would be the case as in my earlier posts.
Difficult to see how it could be otherwise.
Regards. John.