Rigid training 2moro, & a daft question i am worrying ab

:question: right sounds daft but may not be, should i wear my boots i currently wear on site to learn to drive the truck or trainers? i want to make the right impression, :confused: i think trainers may look a bit amateurish an unproffessional & more to the point a safety issue, stuid question i suppose , also will it be ok to take my best sunglasses and use them as with the constant wet roads an then sun i use them all the time in my white van at the moment, also if you see a rigid yellow daf on “L” plates in edmonton london next week be carefull it is probably me !

Wear what is most comfortable for you to drive in. Sunglasses are ok but not in tunnels etc - peak cap is good and better than vehicle visor as it will shade you eyes wherever you are looking
Instuctors + examiners are not judging you on your attire - just your driving

Hello donpablo,

I’d wear safety boots personally and would’nt wear sunglasses. I was advised to wear boots by my instructor and I would imagine wearing sunglasses will cause problems for the instructor as he needs to see wear your eyes are focusing on. In my opinion they will act as an obstruction to him. He needs to know where your looking so he can advise you. Good luck in your training.

Nige

:smiley: great advice, right on that bit of info, i am fine in my boots so i will go an polish them up, and take my cap i never even thought about that cheers! :stuck_out_tongue:

Know what you mean about wet roads and sun. Why not take cap and sunglasses and ask examiner if he has a problem with you wearing the glasses if it is particularly bad.
I’m sure if he has a problem with that he will tell you.

When i asked they said wear what i wanted, they provided green vest for yard exercises.

mmmm some great advice, like i say i know where i am looking in sunglasses but could go against me if the instructor cant see me looking, i will take them also and ask if i feel i need them as like winter time low sun and wet roads are sometimes terrible to see ahead. :sunglasses:

donpablo:
i think trainers may look a bit amateurish an unproffessional & more to the point a safety issue,

they dont offer the support that you need either.

as a secondary note, once you pass, you will ALWAYS drive in boots. i dont know of a job where they are not mandatory. normally if you turn up without boots or hiviz, you will not be working for them that day. they will send you home without question

I did my training in trainers, but took my boots with me in the car just incase they required you to wear them. This is purely because it’s been years since i’ve had to drive in boots and my clutch operation would prolly be a bit on the jerky side, so stuck with trainers.

i did all my licences through the army so i always wore boots then. even driving a car we were required to wear boots

if you do have the choice, wear what will make your life easier during training but bear in mind that after training, boots will be mandatory

I find it hard to drive wearing boots, have to though. :frowning:

I wore a pair like this when I took my Class 2 last Friday…but it made no difference. I still failed.

tgcosmetics.co.uk/pages/pvc_boots.html

The red ones in size 10

I always advise my trainees to wear whatever they are comfortable in and are used to driving in. Boots or trainers, it makes no diference as long as you can feel the pedals properly. Its not a fashion show.
As for sunglasses. Use them if you need to and not if you dont. Again it is whatever makes it better and makes you feel more at ease at the wheel.

as a secondary note, once you pass, you will ALWAYS drive in boots. i dont know of a job where they are not mandatory. normally if you turn up without boots or hiviz, you will not be working for them that day. they will send you home without question

Not true Scanny. Yes, a lot of places will send you home if you don’t have them, but there is nothing whatsoever to stop you from changing them for trainers to drive in, then back out again when you leave the cab. I quite often do this in summer to avoid stinkin’ feet!!! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Drive in whatever you feel comfortable in, and find out from your instructor what the various local examiners prefer to see. I know of at least one who floats in the Dorset/Wiltshire area who will moan like [zb] if you drive in boots, as he reckons you can’t feel the pedals properly in them. Whilst he can’t mark you down for it, he will judge the smoothness and comfort of your drive more harshly if you are wearing what he decides is “inappropriate footwear.” :unamused:

cheers! i wore boots 1st day, but had trouble finding the bite, i thought i could hear the engine note change but had a touch of slight roll back!! wore my trainers from there on an could brake much more smoothly and feel the bite, didnt do the sunglasses as i wanted to make sure they could see me lookking, however test day came and the brightest sun all week, really wish i had them my nearside mirror was a cross between glare and sort of able to see the road line, i was squinting a lot but got back and passed 1st attempt an 4 minors:P i think great idea to take boots an jus put them on when not in the cab.

Nice one Donpablo. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Few drinky poos tonight?? :smiley: :smiley:

Well done that man :laughing:

For the record, you can get some quite comfy trainers with steel toe caps. I wear them all the time in work. The Dickies ones are particularly comfy.

Well done. :smiley: