Rigid DAF CF euro 6 problem

Hi everyone.
Well we’ve recently added 2 brand new Rigid CF DAF’s to our fleet and one of them has a problem.
Whilst cruising at 50mph and upto flat out, a horrible whistling/screeching sounds comes from around the top of the dashboard area. I can only describe it as, when you were a kid and you put 2 blades of grass together and blew, you sometimes got a sound, well that’s the sound!
We’ve, ie DAF have had the top of the dash off, checked the windscreen seal inside and out, checked under the bonnet, took windscreen wipers off, basically everything you could associate with such a noise, but still it continues, and so over to you good people out there, have you ever had a similar problem?
Thanks in anticipation
James

Our CF units problems start as soon as you open the door and realise it’s just a Leyland Freighter/Constructor from way back yesteryear with a different cab! More to the point though, could it be a small hole/split in the heater pipe work for the screen. Turn the dial to get the airflow to the floor and see if it stops but if the air continues to come in through all the pipe work like it does on our Mercs, irrespective of where you want it to and ignores the temperature set, you might just have to turn the radio up!

We had the same problems at the last place I worked with the CFs. Turned out it was the windscreens that needed resealing. Ryder just used silicone to do the job. Although on one of the trucks, it turned out to be the roof that needed resealing. The high roof pod wasn’t sealed round the cab properly.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We had the same problem until the screen was replaced, all the seal looked okay with the old screen but there must have been a fault somewhere.

I’ve not had that problem in mine. However, when I open the drivers door it keeps catching on something and I can’t figure out what…it’s driving me crackers!

Actrosman:
Our CF units problems start as soon as you open the door and realise it’s just a Leyland Freighter/Constructor from way back yesteryear with a different cab! More to the point though, could it be a small hole/split in the heater pipe work for the screen. Turn the dial to get the airflow to the floor and see if it stops but if the air continues to come in through all the pipe work like it does on our Mercs, irrespective of where you want it to and ignores the temperature set, you might just have to turn the radio up!

Cheers Actrosman will give that a whirl in the morning!

damoq:
We had the same problems at the last place I worked with the CFs. Turned out it was the windscreens that needed resealing. Ryder just used silicone to do the job. Although on one of the trucks, it turned out to be the roof that needed resealing. The high roof pod wasn’t sealed round the cab properly.

Yeah the seal on the windscreen looked ok, will pass your message on about the roof though, ours are the high cab aswell, sounds like a right job!!

dave docwra:
We had the same problem until the screen was replaced, all the seal looked okay with the old screen but there must have been a fault somewhere.

Cheers dave I think its the windscreen but could be wrong.

fatboystu1:
I’ve not had that problem in mine. However, when I open the drivers door it keeps catching on something and I can’t figure out what…it’s driving me crackers!

unbelievable, this truck does the same on drivers door! hope we’ve kept the receipt for this truck!!

James7716:

fatboystu1:

unbelievable, this truck does the same on drivers door! hope we’ve kept the receipt for this truck!!

I thought you had a DAF not an Iveco
I thought only Iveco’s had draughty doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James7716:

damoq:

Yeah the seal on the windscreen looked ok, will pass your message on about the roof though, ours are the high cab aswell, sounds like a right job!!

I’m almost certain it will be the window that needs resealing. Ours looked fine too but that’s what it was in the end. When I think about it, I don’t think the roof made any noise. It just leaked when it rained.

https://vimeo.com/179427944
If it’s worked, here the horrible noise

Funnily enough, I have had EXACTLY the same noise, I was scratching my head, and as stupid as it sounds, the only way I found to quieten it was to put the windscreen washers on, not sure if it was the liquid or the wiper position but as the blades got near the furthest point, it was silent. After an hour or so into my shift, it stopped making the noise altogether.

I couldn’t defect it because it had stopped doing it and hadn’t done it since 1 hour into my shift. It did sound like it was coming from just above the windscreen, and it was a brand new unit.

I have driven other new CF’s but only 1 or 2 others out of the 10 in total have the noise problem, one quite conveniently made the noise at 97km/h or faster, and since it hasn’t got a decent engine brake, it served as a good reminder :laughing:

(Even the radio won’t drown out that noise)

Yep, got a couple that do that at HJ but only when its really windy.

Conor:
Yep, got a couple that do that at HJ but only when its really windy.

Yeah it’s absolutely horrendous when windy, and as we make regular trips from Sheffield to Manchester, well you can only imagine!!

James7716:
https://vimeo.com/179427944
If it’s worked, here the horrible noise

goo.gl/photos/EuWnuqZaLrVwjUH36

Sounds exactly like the dafs we had. I filmed it too. Its 100% the windscreen that needs resealing. Notsure if the link will work or not as I don’t know how to post videos. [emoji53]

Hi damoq that link works and yes that exactly the same noise isn’t it? Did DAF replace the windscreen free of charge an did all the seals look in good order? Thanks for the reply

We had a brand spanking new hired DAF CF that did that exact noise in the windy weather and was so bloody annoying, you could not drive far in it with that Kazoo type noise, thankfully we got rid of it pretty soon.

Our’s did have fridges fitted so I wonder if it was to do with where the fitters had routed cabling etc to the cabin.

Oh and we had 10 brand new 15 plate DAF CF’s a bit over a year ago and none of them have done it and have been perfect apart from one which has had DPF issues twice, resulting in being recovered to a DAF dealer.

James7716:
Hi damoq that link works and yes that exactly the same noise isn’t it? Did DAF replace the windscreen free of charge an did all the seals look in good order? Thanks for the reply

The trucks were leased from Ryder and their own mechanics fixed them. As far as I know, they just packed loads of silicone sealant round the windows and pushed the seal back in place. It cured the problem instantly. Can only assume the windscreens weren’t bonded properly at the factory.

Ok mate thanks for the info, happy trucking!