Rigid bed, chassis bolts

On a check it (26t rigid flat bed with tail) was found the bolts at the head board end of the bed to the chassis had sheared on one side, I had reported a squeak thinking it was suspension a couple of weeks ago after hearing it with the window down in warmer weather, and it was agreed it was the leafs needed greasing, then I get a report on the last 6 weekly that it was the bed squeaking as the drivers side chassis bolts ad sheared.
I then get the inquisition as it seems its a recent break in the bolts :roll: , “When did you do that, did you hit a pot hole…ect” but for my defence other drivers noticed the bed always seemed to flex a lot up to a year ago before I took the wagon over :wink:
I think the fault has been missed on inspections, but I could not prove that.

All said the wagon was an ex supermarket box but the bed extended and a rear lift axle added with a full refurb.
Its an old girl that I treat with respect as I like the wagon, it gets more TLC than my bleedin car, and love the job I have and the transport dept even told me they rely on me and should I phone up to say I can not do a job I am they one they do not question as they know I can not legally do it or have to get home, but the third degree on the 8 weeklys are doing my head in for minor faults (non blameworthy) while the artic drivers do in fairness keep the cabs good but are forever goosing up their trailers :evil:

I would be the first to hold my hands up if at fault as I find honesty does actually get respect but there have been a few issues on 6 weekly’s/services that I have been pulled on and thanks to the other drivers in work and info I have searched here I have been able to give informed answers plus I do have a good knowledge off mechnicals :wink: :lol:

I am really only letting off a bit of steam as I tend not to rant much, as I said I love the variety of this job and the randomness of the places I end up and he pay is at the very respectable end of class 2 work but but just…I know shut up and calm down … :lol: :lol: :lol:

it’s nowt to worry about, quite common on a rigid due to flex in the chassis and how the body is constructed and fixed to the chassis, keep em peeled as they will snap at some point again!

Cheers Moose, my thoughts exactly plus the fact its an upgraded wagon and I am always wary of roads and drops with adverse cambers but there is only so much you can do :neutral_face:
I think as its the only rigid they have ever had and it was a bit of a major project in its refurb and conversion with a hell of a lot of money spent on it (owned as opposed to leased) the TM is twitchy, I should hold off the wrath me thinks :laughing: :laughing:

The front 2 body bolts on a rigid sometimes have a spring or rubber spacer on them to counteract the flex.

Steve

neversweat1:
The front 2 body bolts on a rigid sometimes have a spring or rubber spacer on them to counteract the flex.

Steve

Thank Steve, make sense, they where the bolts that snapped.

Mine has the sprung bolts with rubber bushes. Even they need replacing. Really it should be part of regular maintenance, I’m surprised they didn’t change them when it was refurbished to be honest.

My old firm once bought a 7.5t hiab and when it went for an inspection before it went out on the road it was found that of the four bolts holding the hiab on the chassis only one was actually present :shock:

This has been a problem for many years. As far back as the mid 1980s I recall being given the job of changing all the front two rows of mounting bolts and brackets for the rigid fleet at the local Nestle distribution depot. All had new brackets, bolts, a heavy spring and special washers.

As for the inspection reports what is written down depends on how well the inspector is doing his job and on his opinion of its seriousness. I cannot see how this can be put down to the driver unless he is driving rapidly down an unmade road to get away from his ladyfriend’s pursuing husband!

Back in the days when I used to spanner this crap (late 80’s till 1993), we always had problems with front chassis bolts shearing on rigid’s. Anything from flats to fridges.
The secret is not to do them up dog tight but we would use a few spring washers on the bolt to add abit of give and use a nyloc rather than a plain nut obviously.
Right or wrong it did seem to work and MOT testers always seemed happy enough as long there wern’t any broken ones!

Yep, it’s a common one - it’s the point of maximum flex between the cab and the body. BITD we had 7.5t boxes & flats. They’re rusty and hard to get at too, so there I was burning a bolt off to replace it when the pit beneath started to glow orange; I could see it through the gaps in the planks. Panic followed in getting two lorries out before lifting the planks and putting the fire out! The red-hot bolt had fallen through a gap onto the crap in the pit. Another lesson learnt. :oops:

Cheers guys, you put my mind at rest, for-armed and happier should it get fired back :wink:

If they don’t normally cause trouble and go out of the blue or again, once replaced, it can be an indication of problems elsewhere like a spring-eye bush shagged or something that’s causing excess vibration to the chassis.