Right-side controls?

OK, you expats working in North America-I was reading a thread the other day about which side you should have your controls on if you did continent work, and one driver said that having controls on the left was better, especially for getting around London. Now, having driven quite a few right-control light trucks here in the US(used to work for a company that bought old post-office equipment, plus driving a friend’s frog-eye Sprite as well as a 66 Mini Cooper S…) , I was wondering if there are times when you wish you still had a "wrong side " control truck?

I could imagine that it would be an advantage for hooking around tight turns in NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc. It also would make backing into a dock off a street easier, particularily on a divided boulevard, due to the fact that you are already in a “sight-sided” position without having to cross against traffic.

OTOH, scales and toll booths could be a problem, I guess.

Well, for one, I prefer to be on the same side as everyone else. Helps me remember which side of the road to drive on :wink:

Alex, I have found myself to be excellent at blind side reversing. Maybe this comes from all the practice I got oon the wagons back home.

I don’t know, but I never cringe when I have to do it, like some guys, seems to come naturally for me.

Stu

I found I could ‘blind side reverse’ anywhere when I drove right hand drive in the UK, I’m pretty good at it here but the mirrors on trucks here are tiny and crap. I have never had any problem switching from RHD to LHD as in my last UK company we had both.
If asked to make a real choice I prefer RHD. :slight_smile:

I think driving a right hand drive in Europe is easier than driving a left hand drive in the UK.

One of the biggest problems in the UK is the size of roundabouts and speed of traffic on them. the idea is to slow traffic down but as some roundabouts here are so big, drivers do not even have to slacken off.

I also find it easier to reverse a left ■■■■■■ on the blind side, but that is probably just because it feels right to us :exclamation:

We have a regular drop in Lawrence MA that you can only get into from blind side reversing off the street, then blind side once more into doorways that are 6" wider each side than the trailer, 49’ trailers are difficult, 53’ trailers are total hell :exclamation: It is like reversing into the black hole of calcutta, you can’t see anything beyond the door opening. There have been many accidents and the boss there ia a scam artist who will try and blame you for anything. I once went in after reversing through the door and was told I had hit the overhead door runner, a small kink was pointed out, but I could find no coresponding mark on the trailer, and never felt or heard anything, I told the guy I was going to take some photo’s and the guy withdrew his complaint :smiley: