Right or wrong?

In a recent post, a friend of mine made vague allegations about A lorry driver and A haulier. The fall out from this hasn’t been pretty. Anyway my point of view is that it wasn’t the allegations that was the problem, just the fact that he made the allegations on the internet, this is not the done thing in my opinion. What do you think?

To say that driver Fred Smith of Acme transport is doing whatever is different to saying that a driver of a company in say, the midlands, is doing whatever - one is specific without any credible back up and the second is non specific.

But to make vague allegations is a recipe for trouble. Better to say nothin at all.

I think is not fair if you are giving his personal data while keeping yourself anonymous behind the nickname only.

But I think it’s completely O.K. if I write that Me, Tomasz Kuchciński find Robbie Plunk, a Transport Manager of McKennan Transport Ltd a Liar.

(I changed a names in case if that’s only my own opinion that it’s OK to post that).

Than I would explain exactly why I think it’s like that and I am ready to stand up for that in the court if he’ll want to sue me.

Maybe in poland orys, but not here. Just so everyone knows, i selected NO.

MR VAIN:
Maybe in poland orys, but not here. Just so everyone knows, i selected NO.

I know, I was already explained that.

In this country you can’t be responsible for your own words. If I’ll write something like that they will sue the forum owner :slight_smile:

How you call that? A “nanny state”?

So when / where is it appropriate to make an allegation? If your friend felt compelled to make a statement via an internet forum, what difference down the pub?

I agree with Mr. VAIN,
Some things are best kept out of the public domain.
It’s less hassle for all concerned that way.
But I do sympathise with those who are angered by others, however, there are other ways to skin a cat! :wink: :wink:

I’m assuming that the driver and haulier were either named or it was made reasonably clear who they are, if this is the case then I’m 100% with you MR VAIN.

If you can’t prove what you’re claiming then keep quiet until you can and then the Internet probably won’t be the best place to publish the information, in serious cases pass the information to the appropriate authorities and let them investigate the allegations.

I regard this as abuse of the Internet and people who can’t stop themselves from using the net to spread malicious gossip should be stopped from using the Internet.

Can’t really be more specific as I didn’t see the allegations you’re referring to.

I’ve voted no but there probably are cases where the information should be passed to the appropriate authority.

Was this in that KILLER HAULIERS topic :question: :question: that got way out of hand :question: :exclamation:

When i saw this topic i thought this was a confession from Mr Vain and was asking for advice if he had done right or wrong :!: :exclamation: :wink:

NO :exclamation: :exclamation: as it’s all too easy to getta’ hold of the wrong end of the stick etc or mis-judge a situation…as i’m sure we’ve ALL done at some point ,weather in a capacity of being a driver/haulier or just at home… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It’s wrong to make any allegations on a public forum that you haven’t said face to face. If you do feel the need too you should at least identify yourself as openly as the person you’re gossiping about.

pecjam23:
Was this in that KILLER HAULIERS topic :question: :question: that got way out of hand :question: :exclamation:

When i saw this topic i thought this was a confession from Mr Vain and was asking for advice if he had done right or wrong :!: :exclamation: :wink:

Well if you want the truth pecjam, then yes it is regarding that post, but not to discuss the content of that post. The one thing that can be learnt from that post is that no matter what yr thoughts, suspicions or beliefs may be, you do not publish them on the internet. With the modern technology that we have today, you can’t sneeze with out someone hearing it.

SOME WOULD DO WELL TO KEEP THERE THOUGHTS TO THEMSELVES.

I cannot stress enough that what ever may have been said on the removed thread it was merely hearsay.

MR VAIN:

pecjam23:

Well if you want the truth pecjam, then yes it is regarding that post, but not to discuss the content of that post. The one thing that can be learnt from that post is that no matter what yr thoughts, suspicions or beliefs may be, you do not publish them on the internet. With the modern technology that we have today, you can’t sneeze with out someone hearing it.

SOME WOULD DO WELL TO KEEP THERE THOUGHTS TO THEMSELVES.

I cannot stress enough that what ever may have been said on the removed thread it was merely hearsay.

The only reason I asked Mr Vain was I only loosely kept up with that thread I was just checking I suppose to clarify my own assumption that was the TOPIC in question. It was not to dig up bad memory; in retrospect perhaps a PM may have been better. :blush: :blush:

I haven’t a clue which exact POST you’re on about but have a rough idea of what may have been said on posts I didn’t read judging on other comments on the forum.

I agree that you shouldn’t post rumours or anything that could be seen as potentially damaging to someone/company because in this day and age you cant hide behind a user name anymore and this is a PUBLIC forum which anyone can view without registering, which it seems some people are oblivious to the fact they can be traced if deemed necessary and could very well find them selves in court as well as dragging poor Rikki with them in the process I dare say in extreme cases (which i do believe he has mentioned before when this sort of thing has been discussed but i stand to be corrected) :question: :cry: :imp: :imp: :imp: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused:

Regards

James

i think you should be careful what you say on this site unless you have 100% proof you are in the right…the best way i think would be to say becareful of acertain company and its drivers.dont forget you can be sued for libel if you get it wrong or worse if you get my drift.i voted with mr,vain…NO.

To answer the question directly, no I don’t think it’s ok to imply anything. However, I see nothing at all wrong with explicitly publicizing something which you know to be true.

In law, though, you do of course have to be prepared to back up any allegations you make.

I do NOT agree with mr vain. Firstly, i too kept up with the post and at no point what so ever did it name the company or driver involved. What i noticed was a handfull of ■■■■ stirrers making a very good thread turn very ugly. Yes the person who typed the thread should have kept it to themselfs, or spoken to vosa about it, but they did’nt. I think he felt compelled to share his anger with everybody on T.N and to see if anybody else felt the same!. There was obviously some truth in said thread otherwise it would still be on T.N!!!

I VOTED YES

dirty devil 666:
I do NOT agree with mr vain. Firstly, i too kept up with the post and at no point what so ever did it name the company or driver involved. What i noticed was a handfull of [zb] stirrers making a very good thread turn very ugly. Yes the person who typed the thread should have kept it to themselfs, or spoken to vosa about it, but they did’nt. I think he felt compelled to share his anger with everybody on T.N and to see if anybody else felt the same!. There was obviously some truth in said thread otherwise it would still be on T.N!!!

I VOTED YES

DD, sometimes you can be too close to a situation to see all the facts. Please do not make this personal between us.

MR VAIN:

dirty devil 666:
I do NOT agree with mr vain. Firstly, i too kept up with the post and at no point what so ever did it name the company or driver involved. What i noticed was a handfull of [zb] stirrers making a very good thread turn very ugly. Yes the person who typed the thread should have kept it to themselfs, or spoken to vosa about it, but they did’nt. I think he felt compelled to share his anger with everybody on T.N and to see if anybody else felt the same!. There was obviously some truth in said thread otherwise it would still be on T.N!!!

I VOTED YES

DD, sometimes you can be too close to a situation to see all the facts. Please do not make this personal between us.

I was’nt mate, i just wanted to have my say like everybody else.

IMO if you know something to be true then yes as long as you can prove to what as happened.

If is is some thing you heard from the guy down the pub then no.

If you are the first to know the story from a reliable source and you could back it up, then say it but for your own sake change the names involved and also be prepared for the backlash of what you mite be inplying.

Just cos you heard it from mate of a friend of a friend the story could be taken out of proportion,if so it not worth telling keep it to you self

If i new something of interest to the forum, i would check the facts first and if i can prove what i heard i would post the proof as a link for all to see, that way you can feel that you are not starting the rumor