Right or wrong?!

My truck had been in Volvo’s having the night heater fixed, and on the way back i thought I would give the truck a run, so went up the A23 as far as Pease Pottage then down the A264 from Crawley towards Horsham.

Coming down the A264 there was road works (outside lane shut), I was doing 50mph , looked in the mirror,could see a silver sports Mitsubishi Subreau “going some”, there was about 70 yards before it came one lane, still the Mits was flying down the outside lane, “As u do” I put the foot down, Cones getting nearer, Mits very close I’m getting up to full speed, but at the last second mits finally realises he aint going to get past, so just manages to get in behind as two become one. After the road works the Mits slowly drives past me, gets about a car length in front, then puts on a sign “POLICE”, With a few flashes, he puts his foot down and speeds off to catch those “bad road user’s”. :blush:

wrong,
the policeman was just testing out his new car :wink:

really though its a case of six of one half a dozen of the other.
he should,nt be driving that fast as the roads coming down to one lane(unless hes on a blue light chippy run) and to be honest you should,nt have sped up on pupose either.
still who am i to judge, i wasnt there, so i will side with the trucker :wink:

i agree with you i would have floored it you are right. if the coppers driving a high powered mits evo he must be a trained high speed pursuit driver so in my eyes he should have been able to read the road and know he wasnt going to make the gap thefore he should of pulled in behind you well before two becomes one i take it there were no blue lights going before he got to you so he wasnt on a call.

Can’t say I can blame the copper - I have driven a rally Evo on a course and they an stunning car - I would not have wanted to take my foot off the gas either !!!

Then again - no blues & twos and racing a truck into roadworks - not the wisest move that mr plod has ever made…

Gazzareth:
Then again - no blues & twos and racing a truck into roadworks - not the wisest move that mr plod has ever made…

That pretty much sums it up…

There were no lights on, i know it was abit childish of me, but how many times have u approached road works, to watch cars try and fit their car into a 6 inch gap !!!. Mind u abroad they fit their cars into 6 cm !!..
As Dave said “it’s a case of six of one half a dozen of the other”, i think thats why he did what he did, just to say, i know what u did, and just let u know that im no boy racer.( I did slow down to 50mph again, when he got behind me :smiley: )

topcat:
My truck had been in Volvo’s having the night heater fixed, and on the way back i thought I would give the truck a run, so went up the A23 as far as Pease Pottage then down the A264 from Crawley towards Horsham.

Coming down the A264 there was road works (outside lane shut), I was doing 50mph , looked in the mirror,could see a silver sports Mitsubishi Subreau “going some”, there was about 70 yards before it came one lane, still the Mits was flying down the outside lane, “As u do” I put the foot down, Cones getting nearer, Mits very close I’m getting up to full speed, but at the last second mits finally realises he aint going to get past, so just manages to get in behind as two become one. After the road works the Mits slowly drives past me, gets about a car length in front, then puts on a sign “POLICE”, With a few flashes, he puts his foot down and speeds off to catch those “bad road user’s”. :blush:

i would of done it myself a classic for me is the a38(roadworks) just before you hit the m1 do they no a single file que works better than jumping the que i own a subaru if this copper was flooring it it makes you think who is picking up the fuel bill (oh the tax payer) these type of cars are not cheap to run

do they no a single file que works better than jumping the que

See now, that’s where it gets contentious…because the Highway Code says “merge in turn”, as do signs leading up to many sets of roadworks these days. :stuck_out_tongue:

If everybody obeys the above rule, you end up with a far shorter queue and much free-er flowing traffic…unfortunately people don’t, you get the whole “barging in” thing going on, and it all ends in tears.

In this case, I think I’d have been inclined to do the same, even though deliberately speeding up probably wasn’t the smartest of moves…the alternative would’ve have been letting the Mit squeeze through the gap at the last minute, so close to the truck’s bumper that it would’ve been dangerous had he then braked.

That aside, however, in the vast majority of cases I would’ve been one of the people running down the outside past the totally pointlessly long queue in the left-hand lane, simply stopping, indicating and calmly waiting my turn when I got to the merge point. :wink:

I’ll go hide now. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can be seen as pointless overtaking though …
SOME people are as thick as ■■■■ or just plain ignorant …
What is it with work van’s and their dashes to pull into a garage …
I only ask as i nearly rearended a works van this morning full of mucky hi viz wearing people …Decided to overtake me 400 yds from the garage which has the shortest slip road in the world off the A38 , bimbles past me cuts right in leaving only a few feet gap between us and immediatly slows right down so he can get on the slip road for the garage …

Needless to say i could only swerve out so far due to overtaking vehicles , i bet the pasenger’s on the O/S of the vehicle panicked a bit when i had no alternative but to seriously skim them .

That aside, however, in the vast majority of cases I would’ve been one of the people running down the outside past the totally pointlessly long queue in the left-hand lane, simply stopping, indicating and calmly waiting my turn when I got to the merge point.

Some times that works the other way too though, everyone moves right to try and ‘jump the queue’, which leaves the lefthand lane nearly empty and you can just happily pass them all :laughing:

topcat:
i know it was abit childish of me,

i would say its more of a case regarding ‘educating’ the average car driver. we have all seen them do it, we have all had to take action because they do it, this is one way of teaching them not to do it. my favourite place is M25 south/M3 sliproad. they always come up on the right and the arrows point right to left ie they are supposed to merge with the left lane. if they dont want to wait a few seconds, thats their problem, im not slowing down :stuck_out_tongue: