Riding to and from work

Good evening ladies and gents,

I’m thinking of getting a bike to ride too and from work to save money (and to get fitter too! :blush: ) Just wanting to know whether it would be a sensible thing to do. As if anyone knows the route from Knottingley to the BOCM plant in Selby by car it’s all back roads and country roads with a few busy roundabouts and it puts me off a bit as I’ve never really rode a bike on the roads But I’m seriously considering it as I’m currently having a mate take me too and from work and well it’s becoming short lived and it’s looking like I may have no other choice :slight_smile:

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for riding a bike on the roads and how long I should set off in advance to get too work :slight_smile: And I don’t want to give up the job because I don’t want to be back on the dole again :frowning:

Cheers

Jonny :slight_smile:

Search mapping here and see if they is a route, zoom close in on your location as more routes will be shown.

sustrans.org.uk/

Get yourself a moped jonny, I bike will be good for a few weeks, then you will start dreading getting out of bed to ride them miles to work…well I would anyway :smiley:

I tried it last year and I only stuck it for one week. The last thing you want to do after a shift is pedal home, more so if its poring with rain and blowing a gale. :cry: :cry: :cry: Plus have you seen what people write on these pages about cyclists■■? Hope I haven’t put you off too much. :laughing: Oh and don’t wind any bus drivers up either. They will ram you with their bus. :wink:

Just had a look for you johnny and it looks like they is no traffic free route for you, looks like you will have to share the roads with those nasty Juggernaut drivers.

I would do mate, but at the moment I can’t afford to do it. I was due to get my second (and last) lot of job seekers today but it hasn’t been paid into my account :frowning: and I’m not sure if I’m going to be paid this month or whether I’m going to be paid next month. Very complicated at the moment. I even spoke to my team leader about it today and his reply to me saying ‘I’m going to struggle to get here as my mate isn’t going to be able to bring me too and from work anymore’ was ‘You’ll just have to struggle then’ Can’t blame him for saying it but doesn’t have knock your confidence! But I think a moped will come in the future, although I’m not sure where I would stand with getting one etc as I’ve never looked into it :confused:

Cheers

chester:
Just had a look for you johnny and it looks like they is no traffic free route for you, looks like you will have to share the roads with those nasty Juggernaut drivers.

I don’t mind sharing the roads with the ‘Juggernaut’ drivers. It’s the ■■■■■ in cars that race past you just to get 2 seconds ahead of their journey :unamused:

Cheers

damoq:
I tried it last year and I only stuck it for one week. The last thing you want to do after a shift is pedal home, more so if its poring with rain and blowing a gale. :cry: :cry: :cry: Plus have you seen what people write on these pages about cyclists■■? Hope I haven’t put you off too much. :laughing: Oh and don’t wind any bus drivers up either. They will ram you with their bus. :wink:

I rarely see busses on that journey, although I’m out of the house before they come out anyway especially today being away at 6 today to be there for 7. And even if I was starting my 10 10 shift I would be out at 7 to beat the busses or at least half the trip anyway :laughing: :smiling_imp:

Cheers

Personally I ride a white swan to work. Much easier

I have just checked where knottingley is, I live in Selby but wasn’t sure where knottingley is. jonny are you nuts■■? That’s gotta be about 10 mile each way and your considering cycling it. Looks like a19 would be the quickest way, you would take your life in your hands on that road

hate to out do you, i ride a unicorn to work.

Get a bike mate its the best thing you will ever do, you will be able to enjoy your jurneys rather then them being a rushed chore
I have no knoledge of the route you take or the distances involved but i would say try it and see if its less then 15 miles its do able (I have no problem cycling 30 miles each way to uni)
Best thing I ever did was ride to school and even though i now have my own car (4x4) i still try and cycle where ever possible the amount of money it saves is well worth it

switchlogic:

Didn’t that mode of transport go out with the dinosaurs?

philgor:

I nearly went for the unicorn but the swan was that bit cheaper. Is the unicorn that much better? In keeping with the Scania I nearly went for the Griffin but couldn’t afford it…

Inselaffe:

switchlogic:

Well it was certainly a better option than being driven in a Mini

Boom, tish :laughing: :laughing:

switchlogic:

philgor:

I nearly went for the unicorn but the swan was that bit cheaper. Is the unicorn that much better? In keeping with the Scania I nearly went for the Griffin but couldn’t afford it…

Oooooohhhh Unicorn, Griffin or the Mighty Winged horse the Pegasus! only one way to find out…

Inselaffe:

switchlogic:

well not out, it just died down, the only reason why i use a unicorn, is cheep running cost’s, no road tax, and no insurance, can’t see why no one else uses a mythical creature to commute to work, seen as most of the story’s we are told are myth’s…

I know what the route is SN and the risks involved and I also understand just how bad that road is (Especially having been on that road in the snow!) but I have no choice especially not for the next few months. As my plan of having someone take me for a few months until I could pass my tests went down the pan not even one month after being in work. And having questioned it today it’s clear my employers aren’t giving a monkeys (Or it could have just been the team leader…) And I don’t want to quit the job, even though it’s not the best of jobs I love it where I am and determined not to give it up.

Because I don’t want to have people giving me stick over giving up at the first hurdle, especially when I didn’t want to give it up in the first place. If anything it’s just the roundabouts that are going to be the biggest problem for me. But on a quiet morning (And night!) it’s not too bad. Besides it’s only until I can get my car license, then after that I shall be put onto my mums car insurance and dad will be walking too and from work :laughing:

At least I’ll get fit quicker than I thought I would :laughing: :smiley:

Cheers

To be fair though you can’t expect your employers to care how you get to work. If you can’t they’ll get someone else to.