Riding crab

I saw something today that I have not seen for years. A lorry riding crab. It was a quite recent motor, a two axle delivery vehicle, about 13 tonnes I think. Quite what make it was I cannot say as I was looking intently at the rear axle that seemed to be heading my way!. It seems to me that in my youth it was not exactly rare (and most were tippers as I recall), but I haven´t seen a lorry on the road riding crab for years. Have you? Did you ever experience driving one?

not a truck but I dropped a trailer load of steel into Bournemouth uni and a digger driver (that would have been a tang if he drove a truck) put the digger on it with bucket upside down dragged it sideways. the trip to andover for the straightening was the unit running in line and very close to the kerb with the white line on the road on the inside of the 3rd axle of the trailer, it came back straight though.

I broke a rear spring on the Sed Ak 400 tipper I drove, it dropped in half on the A38 traffic lights at Selly Oak! I managed to get the load off and the fitters came out and put a fresh one on, only they got it back to front and the rear axle looked most strange. Made it back to the quarry though where they refitted it the right way round. :laughing:

Pete.

As a youngster I used to drive several different four-wheelers belonging to my late brother. In one of them, a K series Dodge, whenever I pulled up parallel to the kerb, I tended to clip the kerb with the front wheel, but the rear was about a foot out. I’d have doubted my abilities but it never happened with any of the other motors. Then one day I followed it when my brother was driving, I could see it was a mile out of whack. We looked it over, there were no obvious mechanical reasons, and it had recently been tested so he carried on using it. Not long after he rolled it, and it had to have the chassis straightened as part of the repair. It was fine after that, so must have been bent all along, it was bought secondhand so anything could have happened to it. It must have been jinxed, only weeks after it came back from repair, all resplendent with it’s straight chassis and a new cab, one of his drivers ran into the back of a slow-moving Pickfords low-loader on the M1, finished it off for good.
Bernard

During my earlier mechanic days we had a fleet of Albion tippers on coal haulage, hardly a day went by without one breaking a center bolt, they used to snap them of level with the axle, so the axle went back some would crab home others you weren’t so lucky, all due to the conditions in the collieries running over railway lines, pot holes etc. no computers to fix them just up to the neck in crap. Les.

Aye it was common problem in those days with four wheelers on tipper work, We had a Leyland Clydesdale tipper that used to have the problem, But the helper spring had its own center bolt so it was an easy job renewing the bolt on the main spring ,I hour tops, Regards Larry.

One of the Sed Acks artics i drove started crabbing, wasn’t sure at first but gradually i could see a lot more of the trailer in one mirror than the other, looking at the rear springs you could see the U bolts had shifted, turned out to be the centre locating bolt snapped on one rear leaf spring.

Result of farm quarry and coal mines.
Sed Acks didn’t fare too well with off road work on the standard leaf spring set up, needed Norde suspension at the back to cope, no such trouble with the Constructors with their inverted leaf spring arrangement.

Same happened with my f86, centre bolt in one of the rear springs broke, what made it more intersesting was my 45’ caravan trailer also ran slightly out of line.
Tony